triple front derailleur question

Old September 7th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Dewberry

Default triple front derailleur question

Hi,

What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur? I happened to get ahold of a real gem of a bike but
it's a triple...don't need/want triple. Trying to get to double at
lowest cost w/out compromising performance.

--
Joe

Old September 7th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Joe Dewberry wrote:
Hi,

What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur? I happened to get ahold of a real gem of a bike but
it's a triple...don't need/want triple. Trying to get to double at
lowest cost w/out compromising performance.

--
Joe

Longer, wider cage, no dragging of the chain when in small ring, longer
arms for longer, farther travel per cable pull to get all the way to
the outer ring.

Old September 7th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
H M Leary

In article .com,
"Joe Dewberry" wrote:

Hi,

What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur? I happened to get ahold of a real gem of a bike but
it's a triple...don't need/want triple. Trying to get to double at
lowest cost w/out compromising performance.

--
Joe

The cheapest way would be to not use the inner ring. No cost!

Your shifters are designed to move the FD cage that exter distance and
you could drop the chain often.

HTH
Old September 7th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Starr

On 7 Sep 2006 05:36:16 -0700, "Joe Dewberry"
wrote:

Hi,

What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur? I happened to get ahold of a real gem of a bike but
it's a triple...don't need/want triple. Trying to get to double at
lowest cost w/out compromising performance.

Are you racing this bike?
Do you need the weight savings?
Afraid that a triple will damage your street cred?

If the answer to the three above questions is no, then leave the
triple. You can go with a close ratio cassette, and use the small ring
only if/when needed.

I'm assuming that the bike in question is a road bike, here are two
examples of modern day front derailleurs.

Double:
http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photo.../SH-FD5501.gif

Triple:
http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photo.../SH-FD5503.gif

Unfortunately the pics aren't that helpful, but take a look.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old September 7th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joe Dewberry wrote:
Hi,

What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur? I happened to get ahold of a real gem of a bike but
it's a triple...don't need/want triple. Trying to get to double at
lowest cost w/out compromising performance.

If you want to, you can remove the inner ring and reset the FD limit
screw. Instant double. Or, you can leave the inner ring in place and
take Jeff Starr's excellent advice regarding triples and a close ratio
cassette. And keep in mind that the inner ring and the bolts holding it
in place only weigh about 4 ounces.

Old September 7th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

H M Leary wrote:
In article .com,
"Joe Dewberry" wrote:

Hi,

What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur? I happened to get ahold of a real gem of a bike but
it's a triple...don't need/want triple. Trying to get to double at
lowest cost w/out compromising performance.

--
Joe

The cheapest way would be to not use the inner ring. No cost!

Your shifters are designed to move the FD cage that exter distance and
you could drop the chain often.

Well, not if you reset the FD limit screw.

HTH

Old September 7th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sodaquad

Joe Dewberry wrote:
What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur?

One minor difference: triples have a deeper inner plate so they require
a bigger difference in size between the middle and big chainrings than
a double requires between its chainrings.

- Simon

Old September 7th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

sodaquad wrote:
Joe Dewberry wrote:
What is the mechanical/technical difference between a triple and double
front derailleur?

One minor difference: triples have a deeper inner plate so they require
a bigger difference in size between the middle and big chainrings than
a double requires between its chainrings.

That ain't necessarily so. Even if you are talking about half-step
gearing, there have been half step capable FDs (e.g., the Shimano
FD-M735, 650 and 550) for use in a "half step plus granny" setup. In
the case the OP is asking about, I'm pretty sure we're looking at
crossover gearing, so we can probably expect a 10T (or more) difference
in the factory setup.