Tubes that are way larger than the size they are marked

Old July 1st 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Tubes that are way larger than the size they are marked

Last week I was working on a relative's bike, and I brought some tubes I
had because she had a bad tube and didn't have any tubes. I went to
install it, and it was just way, way too large of a diameter. It was a
Kenda 700c x 35/43c Presta (Made in Taiwan), and the tube it was
replacing was also a Kenda 700c x 35/43c but a Schrader.

I've had tubes that were slightly too large a diameter in the past, but
they were at least usable with a little effort, but this time the size
difference was just too great.

Is this a common problem, and does the problem vary by manufacturer?
Old July 1st 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

SMS wrote:
Last week I was working on a relative's bike, and I brought some tubes I
had because she had a bad tube and didn't have any tubes. I went to
install it, and it was just way, way too large of a diameter. It was a
Kenda 700c x 35/43c Presta (Made in Taiwan), and the tube it was
replacing was also a Kenda 700c x 35/43c but a Schrader.
I've had tubes that were slightly too large a diameter in the past, but
they were at least usable with a little effort, but this time the size
difference was just too great.
Is this a common problem, and does the problem vary by manufacturer?

No, haven't seen that. Did you inflate the tube until round in cross
section and place it inside the tire first?

The usual complaint is that the width is skimpy - and narrower each year
for any given size.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 1st 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

"SMS" wrote in message
Last week I was working on a relative's bike, and I brought some tubes I
had because she had a bad tube and didn't have any tubes. I went to
install it, and it was just way, way too large of a diameter. It was a
Kenda 700c x 35/43c Presta (Made in Taiwan), and the tube it was replacing
was also a Kenda 700c x 35/43c but a Schrader.

I've had tubes that were slightly too large a diameter in the past, but
they were at least usable with a little effort, but this time the size
difference was just too great.

Is this a common problem, and does the problem vary by manufacturer?

Are you talking about the 622 diameter or the 35/43mm diameter?

I just got some WTB 622 x 48/52s which are nice and fat but they look like
they'd fit a 642 or bigger tires.

Greg
--
Ticket******* tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Old July 8th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Westphal

SMS writes:

Last week I was working on a relative's bike, and I brought some tubes
I had because she had a bad tube and didn't have any tubes. I went to
install it, and it was just way, way too large of a diameter. It was a
Kenda 700c x 35/43c Presta (Made in Taiwan), and the tube it was
replacing was also a Kenda 700c x 35/43c but a Schrader.

I've had tubes that were slightly too large a diameter in the past,
but they were at least usable with a little effort, but this time the
size difference was just too great.

Is this a common problem, and does the problem vary by manufacturer?

Funny, I happily use that Kenda 700x35/43 with a Schwalbe 700x38
Marathon with the wider than normal Velocity Dyad rim on the cross
bike when I do long gravely/dirt rides, and it's a perfect fit. Try
the Kenda 700x28/35 and measure the resulting tire with a calipers, or
measure the other good inflated tire. Maybe the tire is closer to
30c.

Bill Westphal