Reversing van = stuffed wheel

Old August 3rd 07, 01:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant[_7_]

Default Reversing van = stuffed wheel

Waiting behind a van at the Mont Albert Rd / Burke Rd lights yesterday,
I was a little suprised to find the van suddenly start reversing, and
then keep reversing despite my flashing lights in his window and my
protests. I was unable to get out of his way before the rear bumber
caught my new back wheel which is wrecked. When I enquired as to why he
did this, through the 1 inch slit of the drivers window, this upstanding
citizen replied "Sorry mate, my foot slipped". I told him that this was
a lame and pathetic excuse and that he had stuffed my derailer (which I
thought he had), to which he replied " ". Nothing but silence for
the next minute or so until the lights turned green and he drove off.
Mr. Plod was most encouraging of my report and will be having a chat to
the driver forthwith. I am in little doubt that this was a deliberate
act, and this very brave example of manliness manged to commit 2
driving offences (reversing when ensafe and failing to exchange
details), to which hopefully he'll have to answer to his/her Worship.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old August 3rd 07, 01:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

vaudegiant wrote:
[...]

Yes, there really is an arsehole born every minute. How did he back into
your _back_ wheel?

Theo

Old August 3rd 07, 01:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant[_8_]

Theo Bekkers Wrote:
vaudegiant wrote:
[...]

I usually feed through to the front of traffic at the lights but as he
was the only one at the stop, it was early in the morning and I wasn't
in any hurry, I stopped behind him. I watched the reversing lights go
on and as he slowly reversed, I even more slowly realised that he
wasn't going to stop, so as I scrambled away to the side, with on foot
still clipped in, he cuaght the back of my rear wheel. He seemed
neither suprised when I confronted him about hitting me nor in any way
remorseful which lead me to think it was deliberate.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old August 3rd 07, 03:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Simon[_2_]

Are there still any "Dob in a D!@k" sites out there? This guy sounds
like a good candidate to have his rego displayed to the world.

Old August 3rd 07, 04:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Aug 3, 10:19 am, vaudegiant vaudegiant.2up...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
[...]

My admiration for your self-discipline. This will stand you in good
stead with hizonner. If you had done the reasonable thing and broken
his window in order to choke him, you would have blown it. You might
need to see a lawyer about getting compensation - the criminal/road
offence actions won't fix your bike, I think. Many lawyers will give
you a free phone consult.

donga

Old August 3rd 07, 05:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jock

so, in retrospect, was moving through parked traffic a wise choice for you??
Why not wait in line - he prolly passed you 3 times already and had the
****s with you.
You need to read people. He still ought not to have backed over your wheel,
that's pretty dumb but people are weird little critters.
I may be wrong.
Jock

"vaudegiant" wrote in
message ...

Old August 3rd 07, 05:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Jock wrote:
so, in retrospect, was moving through parked traffic a wise choice
for you?? Why not wait in line - he prolly passed you 3 times already
and had the ****s with you.

From Vaudie's point of view, he had prolly already passed this van three
times but the guy insisted on passing him yet again. Surely passing a
bicycle in heavy traffic in a van is so dangerous, inconvenient, and
pointless, you may as well stay behind them. :-)

Theo

Old August 3rd 07, 06:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant[_9_]

Jock Wrote:
so, in retrospect, was moving through parked traffic a wise choice for
you??
Why not wait in line - he prolly passed you 3 times already and had
the
****s with you.
You need to read people. He still ought not to have backed over your
wheel,
that's pretty dumb but people are weird little critters.
I may be wrong.
Jock

Um.....you're right...... you are wrong. I didn't move through parked
traffic, he was waiting at a red light when I rode up and stopped
behind him. It was 7 am with no other traffic around.

I did in fact wait in line....a line of 2.

It's hard to read people, and completely uneccessary, when you pull up
behind them.

You make it it sound like a nice tete-e-tete between us. It was at
least low speed, which was rather considerate of him.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old August 3rd 07, 06:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant[_10_]

Donga Wrote:

My admiration for your self-discipline. This will stand you in good
stead with hizonner. If you had done the reasonable thing and broken
his window in order to choke him, you would have blown it. You might
need to see a lawyer about getting compensation - the criminal/road
offence actions won't fix your bike, I think. Many lawyers will give
you a free phone consult.

donga

Thanks. Not my usual style. I often do a good impersonation of a
Catholic Dean when these things happen, and always later wish I had
shown a little more civility. Knowing that he had committed an offence
and that I had his rego did give some peace of mind at the time.
I'm hoping to go through his insurance for reparations.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old August 3rd 07, 07:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
roshea[_57_]

vaudegiant Wrote:
I'm hoping to go through his insurance for reparations.That would be a good outcome for you, but you need his insurance details

(ie *from him*; I don't know any other way of getting them). Have the
police given you his info or are they even allowed to? Then again, if
you are lucky you might be in a position to memorise them at the time
of your report / statement when the police look up the rego details.

Depending on the wheel, it may not be worth him paying the excess on
his car insurance.

Seems like some legal advice may be in order. If you are a BV member
they may be able to draft a letter of demand etc.

--
roshea

Brazen on is stuffed :( just us Australia 27 June 17th 07 10:32 AM
Reversing Rails unifreak7 Unicycling 14 August 7th 05 05:10 AM
Polar HRM stuffed Ben Australia 23 July 20th 05 11:50 PM
FA Spinergy SPOX clincher wheel set 700c with New Rear Wheel [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 8th 05 05:17 PM
For Trade: 700c Spin Rear Wheel in Boulder for normal spoked wheel Joe Marketplace 0 September 27th 04 12:38 AM