New Bike deal at Subway

Old October 25th 07, 01:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Default New Bike deal at Subway

Buy 4 Subway meals and you can get a cheap MTB delivered to your door
for $60:

http://www.subwaypromos.com.au/Subwa...s/Bike_Big.jpg
http://www.subwaypromos.com.au/Subwa...ctDetails.aspx

It looks to be pretty much the same as the one I've been riding for
the past 4 months:

http://www.smallsolar.org/budgetbike/

Maybe I should save myself some trouble and get one delivered to the
GVBR starting point at Phillip Island? I'll just have to take a
shifeter and set of Allen keys with me on the plane then. ;-)

If it gets 350,000 people to give cycling a try this summer, I reckon
it's worthwhile.

BTH

Old October 25th 07, 04:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

BT Humble wrote:
Buy 4 Subway meals and you can get a cheap MTB delivered to your door
for $60:

So postage is $10?
Wonder if that is a special AusPost offer, or now standard?

Maybe I should save myself some trouble and get one delivered to the
GVBR starting point at Phillip Island? I'll just have to take a
shifeter and set of Allen keys with me on the plane then. ;-)

Shudder.

If it gets 350,000 people to give cycling a try this summer, I reckon
it's worthwhile.

Yes.

How soon do you reckon they'll take to appear in the hard rubbish?
Old October 25th 07, 04:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

Shame they have no idea how to measure a bike!

http://www.subwaypromos.com.au/Subwa...s/Bike_Big.jpg

Old October 25th 07, 05:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Oct 25, 10:27 am, BT Humble wrote:
Buy 4 Subway meals and you can get a cheap MTB delivered to your door
for $60:

http://www.subwaypromos.com.au/Subwa...ctDetails.aspx

It looks to be pretty much the same as the one I've been riding for
the past 4 months:

http://www.smallsolar.org/budgetbike/

Maybe I should save myself some trouble and get one delivered to the
GVBR starting point at Phillip Island? I'll just have to take a
shifeter and set of Allen keys with me on the plane then. ;-)

If it gets 350,000 people to give cycling a try this summer, I reckon
it's worthwhile.

We're (LBS) just around the corner from a scrubway. I reckon we'll
get a few of them to put together, but yeah, odds-on they'll be hard
rubbish fodder. The cost of bikes is not (IMO) what stops people
riding. It's the too cheap cost of motoring that lets them into cars
in the first place.

Old October 25th 07, 05:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Terryc wrote:

So postage is $10?
Wonder if that is a special AusPost offer, or now standard?

I'm guessing it was an all-round price. The $10 was just a number that
sounds plausible, while still maintaining the offered bike price of $50
reasonable enough to entice people to do it.

Much like the trade-in and buying a car at the same time. The trade in
price is much higher than normal to attract the customers, and they make up
for it with the buy price of whatever crap they're buying.
At the end of the day, the margins are exactly the same, but as long as more
people are attracted in...

Maybe I should save myself some trouble and get one delivered to the
GVBR starting point at Phillip Island? I'll just have to take a
shifeter and set of Allen keys with me on the plane then. ;-)

Shudder.

Yeah, you never know when someone is going to try to spanner you to death on
a plane...

If it gets 350,000 people to give cycling a try this summer, I reckon
it's worthwhile.

Yes.
How soon do you reckon they'll take to appear in the hard rubbish?

They won't.

Much like the "free" bikes that were offered by Bike Victoria as part of one
of their ATBIAD rides? Some were flogged off on eBay, most were kept.

At the end of the day, the statistic I read some time back makes sense.
That of all families that have bikes, 80% of them are taken out only twice per
year.

Looking at the optimistic side, that means 20% of them will be taken out more
often than twice year.

And that's a good thing.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old October 25th 07, 06:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

PiledHigher wrote:
Shame they have no idea how to measure a bike!

Don't look too closely at the add on TV then.
Old October 25th 07, 10:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"BT Humble" wrote in message oups.com...
Buy 4 Subway meals and you can get a cheap MTB delivered to your door
for $60:

http://www.subwaypromos.com.au/Subwa...s/Bike_Big.jpg
http://www.subwaypromos.com.au/Subwa...ctDetails.aspx

It looks to be pretty much the same as the one I've been riding for
the past 4 months:

http://www.smallsolar.org/budgetbike/

Maybe I should save myself some trouble and get one delivered to the
GVBR starting point at Phillip Island? I'll just have to take a
shifeter and set of Allen keys with me on the plane then. ;-)

If it gets 350,000 people to give cycling a try this summer, I reckon
it's worthwhile.

Need to corred this:

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/

I've been following this since it started. Maybe new reader haven't

After I bought a Normal Ross 10 speed (and had to get the steel chainwheels
welded to the cranks, replace the shifters, rear derailler, brakes, and crap tyres
AND tubes over a couple of months) I decided to buy top end bikes, but buy
them at discount prices.

One virtue of the cheapie I had was that it was so cheap it didn't have those
"suicide"brake levers. [Was a moronic designer ever sued over them]???

Ended up selling it to a drunk who'd lost his licence. There wasn't anything
left on that bike that could break, except maybe the frame...

I've been averaging about 40% below retail for higher end bikes (which can't be
too much over wholesale).

Still way above Mr Humble's spend, but very few issues.

Tomasso.
Old October 25th 07, 01:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Tomasso wrote:
Need to corred this:

Corred? Is that "correct" or "comment on"?

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/

I've been following this since it started. Maybe new reader haven't

After I bought a Normal Ross 10 speed (and had to get the steel chainwheels
welded to the cranks, replace the shifters, rear derailler, brakes, and crap tyres
AND tubes over a couple of months) I decided to buy top end bikes, but buy
them at discount prices.

One virtue of the cheapie I had was that it was so cheap it didn't have those
"suicide"brake levers. [Was a moronic designer ever sued over them]???

Ended up selling it to a drunk who'd lost his licence. There wasn't anything
left on that bike that could break, except maybe the frame...

Norman Ross? That must have been quite a while back. In my defence,
I present Large Fella On A Bike's FBQ series (Frame Builder's
Questionnaire).

http://istanbultea.typepad.com/large...builders_.html

The overwhelming majority of his 20 interviewees say pretty much the
same thing to question 22, and I'd like to use FBQ#17 (Peter Mooney)
as my "typical example":
-------------------------------------
22. What do you think of mass-produced bikes (without naming
names)?

They are a lot better than they used to be.
-------------------------------------

I've been averaging about 40% below retail for higher end bikes (which can't be
too much over wholesale).

Still way above Mr Humble's spend, but very few issues.

I'm happy for you, I truly am. The point I was trying to make when I
started this experiment is that it's not necessary to spend $500+ on a
bike to commute significant distances on, ***provided one is prepared
to learn how to perform basic maintenance, and carry it out at regular
intervals***.

I'm starting to think that the experiment has taken on a life of its
own though - I've more than doubled my break-even now, covered almost
2,000km, and it's still only been $6.50 in repairs[1]! ;-)

BTH
[1] Technically I could argue that it's only been the cost of 3
patches[2] since I recycled some old 27" galvanised spokes to fix the
rear wheel, but hey, I was feeling generous. ;-)
[2] At $2.50 for a patch kit containing 8 patches, that'd be $0.95

Old October 25th 07, 01:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

BT Humble wrote:
Tomasso wrote:

I'm happy for you, I truly am. The point I was trying to make when I
started this experiment is that it's not necessary to spend $500+ on a
bike to commute significant distances on, ***provided one is prepared
to learn how to perform basic maintenance, and carry it out at regular
intervals***.

ditto {:-).

[2] At $2.50 for a patch kit containing 8 patches, that'd be $0.95

Local 5 Star occassionally has 36 patches for $3.50. I instantly
purchased them as I figured with that many patched, I'd never get
another patch (until they were old and decrepit and then I'd ride over a
box of tacks. {:-0).

Old October 25th 07, 07:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle
NickP

Not quite as good as you've made it sound. You get a card with a code on it
with each meal and you have to get four cards with unique codes. It might
take you 100 meals to get four unique codes...

oups.com...