Grandmother who hit cyclists loses licence

Old December 17th 07, 07:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Default Jet's Law WAS Grandmother who hit cyclists loses licence

Donga wrote:

Jet's death inspired the introduction of a law that requires motorists
to report serious and long-term medical conditions to Queensland
Transport.

Sop to public apeasement.

Mrs Rowland recently launched a petition calling for doctors to notify
Queensland Transport of patients with medical conditions affecting
their driving.

Unless it is law, doctors shouldn't have to do it (privacy) and it needs
to be a specific set of conditions that affect driving.

Old December 17th 07, 10:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

Default Grandmother who hit cyclists loses licence

"brucef" wrote in message ...
On Dec 17, 3:48 pm, Terryc wrote:
Typcal Theo. This sub-thread was about people driving when they had lost
their licence.

I didn't see that, I thought it was about people driving who
*shouldn't* have a license. Who said anything about people who had
actually lost their license?

"Lose your licence" does not mean you lose your licence. It means you get it back.

"Lose your licence" should mean that you can establish that you are no longer such a risk...

T.
Old December 17th 07, 11:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:15:49 -0800 (PST)
brucef wrote:
On Dec 17, 6:06 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Aged people driving is a serious difficulty. When it's not you or
someone you know and care about it is easy to say "ban them"! When
reality hits it is harder to be so sure.
Zebee
- who may well have to deal with this problem soon and ain't ooking forward
to it.

Please elaborate. I really hope you aren't referring to yourself.
Although I have noticed that your typing skills have deteriorated
lately...

I think you mean they've returned to normal.

No, not me. My father has just got back from hospital after breaking
vertebrae in his neck. No paralysis but he has had to have metal
inserted and I think at least the top 2 fused. That's going to make
driving difficult and may mean he can't go fossicking anymore.

Too early to tell yet, but I fear the worst.

Zebee
Old December 17th 07, 11:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:10:44 +1100
Tomasso wrote:
"Lose your licence" should mean that you can establish that you are no longer such a risk...

How do you prove a negative?

Zebee
Old December 17th 07, 11:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_529_]

Tomasso wrote:
"Lose your licence" should mean that you can establish that you are

no longer such a risk...

How do you prove a negative?

Obviously brucef has been proved correct.

--
cfsmtb

Old December 17th 07, 12:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-17, Terryc (aka Bruce)
Theo Bekkers wrote:
I do not always think old people should be treated any more liently.
She certainly didn't display any wisdom of being aged, so I fail to
see that she gets old persons clemency. Perhaps she needs to be
committed to a home for public safety.

You're either trolling or stark raving mad Terry.

Not at all. I have had enough to do with older people to know that some
of them are just sneaky and devious and not deserving of clemency or
leniency "because they are senior".

Cue the elderly lady on a Melbourne train, who according to an MX
letter writer (heh heh, reputable source), had a ticket inspector come
up to her and request her ticket. She got her bag, got out her
glasses, put them on, dug one ticket out, stared at it for 10 seconds,
said "nope", got out another, another, another, another, ... and the
ticket inspector said "sorry, it's OK. I trust you", and went off to
the teenager down the carriage.

The elderly lady then winked at the MX letter writer, and whispered "I
didn't have one today".

Yes, a few people do deliberately flaunt it.

That's not to say that the person in question here is not an
unreasonable, if slightly senile, person.

--
TimC
I am not afraid of heights, nor am I scared of falling. Height and
Old December 17th 07, 09:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

brucef wrote:
Terryc wrote:
Confiscation and sale/destruction of the motor vehicle and
imprisonment with forced labour. Sale of all your assest to
compensate people injuried from your driving.

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Reality apparently eludes you.

Terryc wrote:
So the youngish guy who can no longer ride or work because of her
driving deserves no compensation because of her
negligence/thoughtlessness/etc.

This is why we have 3rd party insurance. The victim is presumably able
to sue for compensation in the usual way. Though how sending the
driver off to prison with forced labour would help the victim I have
no idea...

I agree with that. Selling the old lady's house and gopher doesn't help
anyone, does it.

Theo

Old December 17th 07, 09:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Terryc wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Confiscation and sale/destruction of the motor vehicle and
imprisonment with forced labour. Sale of all your assest to
compensate people injuried from your driving.

Reality apparently eludes you.

So the youngish guy who can no longer ride or work because of her
driving deserves no compensation because of her
negligence/thoughtlessness/etc.

How are they related Terry? She is insured against third party injury
because the Gov't insist she be. If you make a mistake due to an error in
your risk calculation, should all your property be sold to compensate an
injured party, even if you have insurance specifically for such an event
happening?

Theo

Old December 17th 07, 09:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Terryc wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Hi Sonny, you were doing 3 kms over the speed limit, that will be 3
years hard labour.

Typcal Theo. This sub-thread was about people driving when they had
lost their licence. there is a need for an effective system that
stops those who persist. but hey, so long as it was applied to all,
why not.

Huh? I understood she had a licence.

I do not always think old people should be treated any more liently.
She certainly didn't display any wisdom of being aged, so I fail to
see that she gets old persons clemency. Perhaps she needs to be
committed to a home for public safety.

You're either trolling or stark raving mad Terry.

Not at all. I have had enough to do with older people to know that
some of them are just sneaky and devious and not deserving of
clemency or leniency "because they are senior".

Your dad?

Actually I agree with your last paragraph. But discriminating against people
who are more frail and not as quick to react as yourself is not allowed, any
more than picking on hoons who believe a test of their skills is seeing how
close they can drive to your bike, or picking on cyclists who advocate
scratching people's cars is a fair thing.

I find it amusing that this thread on the apparently deliberately malicious
actions of this old lady is running in parallel with another thread on what
speed a number of contributors achieved on their bikes and how dangerous it
felt.

Theo
Checking his Senior's card.