kryptonite skewers locks rust? recommendations?

Old November 10th 03, 06:58 PM
Elhanan Maayan

Default kryptonite skewers locks rust? recommendations?

hi..

i'm considering on getting skewer locks for my trek 7500, can choose
between 3 companies, kryptonite, pitlock, and veratomic...

pitlock seems complicated, while i was told that kryptonite can rust
and veratomic is too weak and can sheer if opened by force.

any thoughts?
Old November 11th 03, 02:09 AM
Ron Abramson

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:58:01 -0800, Elhanan Maayan wrote:

i'm considering on getting skewer locks for my trek 7500, can choose
between 3 companies, kryptonite, pitlock, and veratomic...

Kryptonite has sort of a bulky key and can be easily removed with vice
grips (took me 2 secs when I lost the key!). I hear
veratomics are easily vice-gripped too.

Also, the Kryptonite seatpost binder does not fit many seat tube binder
configurations.

Didn't see much of a rust problem in the 6 months we used
the Kryptonites.

Pitlock would be more difficult to get off, because one end
has a very thin profile, and on the locking end, the cover piece over the
lock nut turns freely when the unit is tight. You'd have to crush it in
order to get a grip on the nut, and it is pretty beefy. I do not want to
destroy a $60 part just to test this, but I suspect the Pitlock is fairly
resistant to a vice grip attack.

However, both are a pain when you need to take off a wheel. The
Kryptonite key is a very finnicky fit, and you have to use a screwdriver
as a lever, or a wrench, in order to turn the Pitlock key.

Lately, I've taken a liking to Nashbar's $13 (now) locking skewers. It's
enough of a fakeout to deter casual theft. They are simple and light.

We've had no wheel thefts with any of these systems (and plenty without).

If your top priority is simply security, I'd say go with the Pitlock.

Old November 11th 03, 07:13 PM
Carl Fogel

(Elhanan Maayan) wrote in message om...
so you are saying i should go with kryptonite and soak it with oil?
i've also seen other reports in bycicle forums that i can strip on
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-40816.html

(Carl Fogel) wrote in message om...
(Elhanan Maayan) wrote in message . com...
hi..

i'm considering on getting skewer locks for my trek 7500, can choose
between 3 companies, kryptonite, pitlock, and veratomic...

pitlock seems complicated, while i was told that kryptonite can rust
and veratomic is too weak and can sheer if opened by force.

any thoughts?

Dear Elhanan,

Possibly the fellow who told you that kryptonite
can rust works for the Daily Planet? Wears a fedora
and thick-rimmed black glasses? Seems angry about
how so many people now use cell phones that he
can't find a phone booth to change in?

Given the choice between too complicated (no solution),
possible rust (oily surfaces resist this), and something
that fails (give me a break!), the winner seems obvious.

Lex Luthor

Dear Elhanan,

Well, "soak" is perhaps a bit excessive. Oil won't
penetrate normal metal. But oil-smeared or waxed
metal rusts less. It depends on how much water you
spray it with.

Elsewhere in this thread, it's mentioned that some
of these locking skewers twist off easily with a pair
of vise-grips. My own experience with lock-picking
suggests that if I want them, I can take them with
the tools in my wallet.

Unfortunately, if you live in fear that your stuff
will be stolen, you probably need to carry large
u-shaped or coil-cable locks and go through the fuss
of locking your frame and both wheels to something
discouraging, like a lamp-post or parking-meter.

If enough of us do this, presumably bike-jacking
will become the new crime--why fight the locks when
you can just stick a gun in the face of the fellow
who has the wheels that you want?

Seriously, if you find one brand of locking skewers a
complicated pain and suspect that the next brand will
simply break, then you live with rusty (or oily and
slightly less rusty) locking skewers if that's the
anti-theft technology of your dreams--they will in
fact discourage some thieves.

My bicycle is guarded by being a) unattractive b) used
only for pleasure, not commuting and c) under the protection
of ferocious basset hounds. (It helps to live in a sleepy
neighborhood where bassets are the guard dogs of choice,
not rottweilers.)

Woof!

Carl Fogel