Constrictor products retail guide for 1938 Mythbustering.

Old January 27th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Constrictor products retail guide for 1938 Mythbustering.

http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pi...talogue%201938...
the Constrictor products retail guide for 1938 which also shows a few
other interesting items besides fibre washers.
Includes 12oz wood rims,
10oz alloy rims, (beats fiamme by a bit),
4.1/2oz hub,
1oz QR for wheel,
patented CIRCUM SPOKING (eliminating the J-bend or should that be the
j-Bend?),
8-speed sprocket cluster ;-) ,
the grail (16/18gauge spokes) (first reference I've seen 'in
print').
,behind the crown front brake,
Alloy cotterless
cranks(stronglight),
quick releasing handlebar stem,
a 4oz seat pillar,
Osgear vertical dropouts,
indexed derailler gear,
double-sided adhesive tape for tubular tyres
and a statement regarding sew-ups that indicates they do not constrict
quite as much as a Constricter tyre.

Mythbustered.
Old January 27th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

thirty-six wrote:

[...]

Since that time, we've had advancements like the even lighter rim
offerings and similarly thin double-ended spokes from Hi-E in the
1970s. Their "reliability" and "performance" paved the way for the
heavier items of today, just like the Constrictor products you
mention.

There are always people who will push beyond the edge of what is
feasible and do obviously stupid things on purpose (witness today's
ultralight "tuning" or yesteryear's "drillium"). We should not make
any assumptions of practicability based on such extremes.

Chalo
Old January 27th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 Jan, 21:02, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

[...]

I heard of the use of 18gauge spokes in use in the 60's and 70's but
never seen a wheel with them (my technical intrest came some time
later) and I believe would probably only be used for the lightest of
riders, as was my source at his time in racing. I am quite happy
with straight 15gauge spokes but still have a yearning to see how
light I can go, silly isn't it? Other than using alloy nipples with
fibre washers, there is little else other than soldering up a wheel
and thinner spokes benefit most from this. I would like to use
through spokes and perhaps Constricter were thinking on the same lines
but needed to protect their idea and introducing the loop allowed the
patent. Altghough the tension wheel was fully developed, the 1930's
saw a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands and I expect
many patents connected with cycling and velocars.

International Net Retail Business: Online E-Commerce Industrial Engineering Mountain Biking 0 January 15th 09 12:28 PM
Wanted: BB cup jam nuts (Attn: LBS retail sales) !Jones[_2_] Techniques 30 October 8th 07 02:25 AM
Retail Markup on Bikes at LBS ? rs General 5 August 19th 05 01:43 AM
Retail therapy Johnny O-R Australia 4 December 6th 04 12:55 PM
Retail Performance Stores asking for customer name. Dan O'Brasky General 29 August 30th 03 08:25 AM