Cyclist damaged car because driver hooted

Old April 4th 12, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport

Default Sustrans says Boris Johnson intent on bringing London "to a standstill"

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:08:22 +0100
JNugent wrote:
BW *thought* he was talking about demand, though he was simply expressing
wishful aspiration at the Big Rock-Candy Mountain level, since there is no
realistic prospect of demand for a pedestrian or cycle crossing of the Thames
downstream of London.

Exactly. If you're going to have a crossing it helps if there's somewhere
want to go to or live at within walking distance at both ends. There's
sod all point in building a footbridge that goes from Onemanandadog-On-Sea
to Lower Landfill.

B2003

Old April 4th 12, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 4, 10:03*am, wrote:

Would you really want pedestrians walking alongside the M25? Would you really
want to BE a pedestrian walking alongside the M25?

Yes - we have the M62 which funnels into the two lane A63 at North
Cave and there are cycle tracks alongside for a good proportion of its
length.
Heck, there are even time trials held ON the main carriageway.

--
Simon Mason

Old April 4th 12, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
dr6092

Default Cyclist damaged car because driver hooted

On Apr 4, 9:24*am, "Mr Benn" wrote:
"Corporal Jones" wrote in message

The only time I use my horn is to let others know of my presence, now what
is wrong with that?

If you think somebody is not aware of your presence, it depends on
what avoiding action you are taking/can take and how long you have
given them to be aware of you in the normal course of events. The
Highway Code has some useful suggestions for what you should be
considering before "announcing your presence".

Don't try it with a cyclist - you'll get your windscreen smashed.

Well, if drivers are so concerned then it might discourage them from
assault by noise. Excellent.
Old April 4th 12, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
NM

On Apr 4, 10:18*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Apr 4, 10:03*am, wrote:

Would you really want pedestrians walking alongside the M25? Would you really
want to BE a pedestrian walking alongside the M25?

Yes - we have the M62 which funnels into the two lane A63 at North
Cave and there are cycle tracks alongside for a good proportion of its
length.
Heck, there are even time trials held ON the main carriageway.

--
Simon Mason

M62 no cycles, A63 is not a motorway.
Old April 4th 12, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:03:35 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:18:33 +0100
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Unless you live on one bank and need to get to somewhere on the other
bank you'll be using some form of transport so I fail to see the problem.
In central london where people do walk across the river to get around then
there is no shortage of bridges.

Are you claiming there is no demand for viable pedestrian river
crossings between Tower Bridge and the QEII Bridge?

Well there is one at greenwich and perhaps there could be an argument
for one between docklands and rotherhithe. But other than that I can't
really see much demand for one especially once you get past docklands.

Perhaps it's just as well few people would want to walk across - as
they can't.

Would you really want pedestrians walking alongside the M25? Would you really
want to BE a pedestrian walking alongside the M25?

However, let us not forget that the London Loop has to take walkers
from Dartford to the Gravesend-Tilbury Ferry to cross the river - at a
cost considerably higher than taking a car through the Dartford
Crossing.

Recreational walking is irrelevant. People who walk for fun can do it
anywhere, I thought we were talking about need. And there ain't much of
that around the QE2 bridge.

You are now beginning to sound reasonable.

Now the Greenwich Foot Tunnel is fully reopened the pressure is
reduced. There certainly is a need for a pedestrian crossing of the
Thames between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf.

The River Severn crossing has a shared use path, and that is a proper
motorway, M48. I has no problem cycling across it 8 years ago, and
there were some pedestrians using it too. The Dartford river crossing
is mearly an A road, A282.
Old April 4th 12, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
NM

On Apr 4, 10:40*am, dr6092 wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:24*am, "Mr Benn" wrote:

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message

The only time I use my horn is to let others know of my presence, now what
is wrong with that?

If you think somebody is not aware of your presence, it depends on
what avoiding action you are taking/can take and how long you have
given them to be aware of you in the normal course of events. The
Highway Code has some useful suggestions for what you should be
considering before "announcing your presence".

Don't try it with a cyclist - you'll get your windscreen smashed.

Well, if drivers are so concerned then it might discourage them from
assault by noise. Excellent.

When motoring slowly in my car down a Norfolk lane I approached a few
walkers in the centre of the road walking the same direction as
myself, I gave a gentle toot just to let them know I was approaching,
my passenger, a rabid cyclist btw, remonstrated long and loud about me
startling hikers.

One persons assault by noise is another's warning of possible danger
approaching.
Old April 4th 12, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Bartc

On 04/04/2012 09:24, Mr Benn wrote:

Don't try it with a cyclist - you'll get your windscreen smashed.

Yeah, as I mow him down and he bounces over the roof!

Jesus. And they let people like you have a driving licence?

Suppose I drove a huge truck and talked about doing the same to a car, with
a family inside (perhaps *your* family); would that amusing too?

--
Bartc

Old April 4th 12, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
dr6092

On Apr 4, 11:02*am, NM wrote:
On Apr 4, 10:40*am, dr6092 wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:24*am, "Mr Benn" wrote:

[...]

Oh, you were driving dangerously?

By assault I don't just mean startling but causing physical pain.
Old April 4th 12, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:01:25 +0100
Bertie Wooster wrote:
The River Severn crossing has a shared use path, and that is a proper
motorway, M48. I has no problem cycling across it 8 years ago, and
there were some pedestrians using it too. The Dartford river crossing
is mearly an A road, A282.

That "mere" A road is 4 lanes in both directions and the bridge section is
clearly a motorway. The public and other organisations call it the M25 but if
the DoT want to be pedantic thats up to them. But if you think because its
called an A road that makes it somehow less dangerous then I invite you to
attempt to cross it and see what happens!

B2003

Old April 4th 12, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 04/04/2012 11:10, BartC wrote:
"Corporal Jones" wrote in message
On 04/04/2012 09:24, Mr Benn wrote:

Don't try it with a cyclist - you'll get your windscreen smashed.

Yeah, as I mow him down and he bounces over the roof!

Jesus. And they let people like you have a driving licence?

Suppose I drove a huge truck and talked about doing the same to a car,
with a family inside (perhaps *your* family); would that amusing too?

Not at all. Cyclists are just funny that's all.

University