Standing while climbing bad?

Old August 4th 03, 02:49 PM
bomba

Default Standing while climbing bad?

wrote:
I most never stand or walk. When I see someone
walking up a hill I call out thats why you have pedals now get on and
pedal. During racing when I want and need to pass I do stand and
along with the way I have my bike set up total package I won 1st place
in a race every racer were half my age and more. I turn 50 in just 4
months.

What a pity that at your age, you haven't learned to form a coherent
sentence.

--
a.m-b FAQ:
http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old August 4th 03, 04:04 PM
Gman

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:51:08 -0500, Destroy wrote:
This may be a dumb post but...

I was low on energy today and tried standing up for the first time in
order to try and clear a fairly steep medium length climb and it seemed
like a total waste.

Seems stepping down hard on the pedals while standing did nothing but
create massive 'bob' or bounce. Or it spun up the rear tire.

Rigid singlespeed baby!

Old August 4th 03, 11:15 PM
Kathleen

Bill Wheeler wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:51:08 -0500, Destroy wrote:

This may be a dumb post but...

..seen worse.

[snip bad technique]

As a general rule, is it bad to stand on a full susp mtn bike when doing
steep climbs?

Why would you be riding a full susp bike when you can ride a rigid?

Why? Because I can. Lots of other, more specific reasons, but in the
end, it boils down to that. God bless free choice.

When climbing, for the most part, if I'm out of the saddle, it's about
balance, not power. I haven't got an ounce of extra power to spare, and
standing and honkin' on the pedals wastes a noticable amount of energy.
The individual situation determines if it's worth it or not, but
usually, for me, it's not.

Kathleen

Old August 5th 03, 02:20 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:15:45 -0500, Kathleen
wrote:

Bill Wheeler wrote:

[snip]
Why would you be riding a full susp bike when you can ride a rigid?

Why? Because I can. Lots of other, more specific reasons, but in the
end, it boils down to that. God bless free choice.

Someone pinch me. Finally someone who makes sense....although on the
flip side.

Freedom of choice is what you got, freedom from choice is what you
want.

When climbing, for the most part, if I'm out of the saddle, it's about
balance, not power.

Once again this makes sense.

I haven't got an ounce of extra power to spare, and
standing and honkin' on the pedals wastes a noticable amount of energy.

There are times to stand and times to sit when climbing.

The individual situation determines if it's worth it or not, but
usually, for me, it's not.

Freedom of choice.

Kathleen

I thought for sure you'd somehow throw something about "Fly Ball" in
here.....perhaps I missed it.

Peace,
Bill
The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]
Old August 5th 03, 12:27 PM
Kathleen

Bill Wheeler wrote:
snip

Freedom of choice is what you got, freedom from choice is what you
want.snip

What the heck are you talking about?

Don't drop acid and post, Bill. Even though we can't see your pupils,
we can still tell.

Ai yi yi, indeed....

Kathleen

Old August 5th 03, 03:45 PM
Bob M

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:27:04 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

Bill Wheeler wrote:
snip

Freedom of choice is what you got, freedom from choice is what you
want.snip

What the heck are you talking about?

Don't drop acid and post, Bill. Even though we can't see your pupils, we
can still tell.

Ai yi yi, indeed....

Kathleen

I thought that any time you made any decision, you made a choice. If you
choose to go riding, you're not reading a book, watching TV, etc. If you
choose to sleep in, there's stuff you could be doing (like riding), and
you're not. You never really have freedom from choice, so I think the best
we can do is choose wisely. For me, that's riding my multi-speeded
mountain bike and longing for a fully suspended bike. For others, it's
getting that single speed. Sadly, I bought a new racing bike and won't be
able to afford a full suspension bike 'till next year. OK, so my
priorities are screwed up!

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old August 5th 03, 06:22 PM
Paladin

Bob M wrote in message ...
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:27:04 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

Bill Wheeler wrote:
snip

[...]

What's a "racing bike" and why did buying it make you sad?

Paladin