Good road bike

Old January 18th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Good road bike

I'm looking to buy a road bike for about £200. Can any one recommend
one. Is there any good websites or magazines that rate road bikes?

David Maggs

Old January 18th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
I'm looking to buy a road bike for about £200. Can any one recommend
one. Is there any good websites or magazines that rate road bikes?

David Maggs

That means you're looking to buy a used bike, right? I don't think you
can get a new road bike for much less than $500.

There are websites (
www.roadbikereview.com) and magazines (Bicycling)
replete with reviews and ratings, but that stuff means nothing. You
need a bike that fits.

-Vee

Old January 18th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
I'm looking to buy a road bike for about £200. Can any one recommend
one. Is there any good websites or magazines that rate road bikes?

David Maggs

Since you are inquiring in Pounds, I'm guessing you are in the UK.
Cycling Weekly is a UK based magazine. I think they do a good job.
You may be able to find low priced suggestions in their reviews.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/

200 Pounds is about $350 US Dollars. In the US, there are no decent
new road bikes sold at this low of a price. Basically $500 is the
minimum. About 285 Pounds. If 200 Pounds is your goal, used is the
only option. Best bet may be to contact a local bicyclig club and see
if anyone is selling a bike. Fitting would be done by you and/or the
seller. You can research this some. But even if you end up with a
less than ideal fitting bike, you can still ride it and enjoy bicycling
and use the knowledge gained to make sure your next bike fits better.

Old January 18th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

I'd place a higher emphasis on getting the fit done correctly. The
difference in comfort (and fun) in riding a bike that fits right vs one that
doesn't may very well be the difference between a bike that rots in the
garage vs one that changes your outlook on cycling and creates a new addict.
This is particularly true for road bikes, which tend to be used on longer
rides, and ridden in a way that you're more "rooted" to the bike (meaning
that you're not in and out of the saddle so much) compared to, say, mountain
biking.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 18th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yes I'm in the UK, near Chesterfield. The only cycle shop I know
round here in James cycle shop, but I don't know if this shop is any
good. My mate has a road bike and gets alot of punctures. I've heard
that there is a sealant that can be put in to the inertubes to stop
punctures or at least seal the inertube faster than doing a normal
repair. Is this true?

David Maggs

Old January 18th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:01:53 -0800, wrote:

Yes I'm in the UK, near Chesterfield. The only cycle shop I know round
here in James cycle shop, but I don't know if this shop is any good.

I have a J.E. James water-bottle and it works fine.

Joking aside, a shop that gets its name printed on water-bottles stands
a realistic chance of being OK. You would get a more detailed response
from their customers if you posed your question on uk.rec.cycling

Two hundred quid is not a lot for a new bike. For sure you must avoid
suspension at that price. Between 200 and 250 the own-brand bikes from
Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op get a lot of good reviews. Their website seems
to be borked though. And what you mean by "road bike" and what the
shops mean may very well be different. If you are looking to ride
across town to work, or to the shops, you should be asking for a
"hybrid", or possibly a "town-bike". If you ask about a "road-bike"
they will think you want to do 100+ miles in a day, possibly with a
modest amount of luggage, and you'll be told, rightly, that 4 to 5
times your budget is the minimum to spend.

My mate has a road bike and gets alot of punctures. I've heard that
there is a sealant that can be put in to the inertubes to stop
punctures or at least seal the inertube faster than doing a normal
repair. Is this true?

Yes. Up to a point. I have not heard of anyone doing a lot of cycling
who uses anything but patches and glue to fix punctures though, and many
of those minimise the puncture rate by using tyres with kevlar bands
under the tread (eg the Schwalbes I now fit to all my bikes) or a
separate kevlar strip between tyre and tube.

Mike

Old January 19th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Before your start sliming tires, er, tyres, read up a bit about the
different ways in which flats occur. It may be that your friend is,
inadvertently, the cause of his flat problems, perhaps without even
knowing it. When he flats, does he check the inside of the tire for the
cause and remove it? Does he pinch flat (2 small holes in the tube
caused when the tire is underinflated and you hit something)? A problem
at a nipple hole or with the rim tape? Does he install new tubes
properly? Etc., etc. In other words, slime might not be necessary.
Regards, Roy Zipris

Old January 19th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
.com,
"Roy Zipris" wrote:

Before your start sliming tires, er, tyres, read up a bit about the
different ways in which flats occur. It may be that your friend is,
inadvertently, the cause of his flat problems, perhaps without even
knowing it. When he flats, does he check the inside of the tire for the
cause and remove it? Does he pinch flat (2 small holes in the tube
caused when the tire is underinflated and you hit something)? A problem
at a nipple hole or with the rim tape? Does he install new tubes
properly? Etc., etc. In other words, slime might not be necessary.
Regards, Roy Zipris

Another cause of flats is riding over debris on the
roadway. The solution is not to ride over debris on the
roadway. The difficulty with this solution is the constant
attention required to scout the roadway for debris. One
moments inattention and you are rolling over junk. Another
difficulty is that on a wet road, glass is invisible. When
I have inadvertently ridden over glass or something I will
stop and check the tire treads for imbedded material.

--
Michael Press