Lactate testing / training

Old July 9th 04, 06:35 PM

Default Lactate testing / training

I've read a lot about using lactate testing in addition to (instead of?)
heart rate monitoring to make training more precise.

How widespread is lactate testing today?

How do you use it to improve VO2?

Old July 9th 04, 08:41 PM
Pistof

wrote in message
I've read a lot about using lactate testing in addition to (instead of?)
heart rate monitoring to make training more precise.

How widespread is lactate testing today?

How do you use it to improve VO2?

I don't know but I saw Lance using a little handheld lactate guaging device
in one of his Lance Chronicles episodes. It was called something like The
Lactate Pro or something catchy like that. I wonder if they will one-day be
as cheap as these $20 HRM's that we find everywhere.

Dave

Old July 9th 04, 08:54 PM
Per Elmsäter

wrote:
I've read a lot about using lactate testing in addition to (instead
of?) heart rate monitoring to make training more precise.

How widespread is lactate testing today?

How do you use it to improve VO2?

Training with a Powermeter is probably the most practical way to go about
it. It will give you a very precise knowledge of your LT ( lactate
threshold). Some that train with Power don't even wear their HR cheststraps
anymore.
www.topica.com/lists/wattage/read

Before I started trainiing with Power I used to think my LT HR was 170 bpm.
Today I know it varies between 165 and 175 bpm due to cardiac drift ,
temperature and other factors that are difficult to measure. I also know
exactly how many Watts I can average for a given time period. The Power is
much more consistent than my HR and in the end Power is what it's all about.
I did not need to do any blood tests or visit a lab at any time. All I
needed to do was to analyze my Wattage over a period of time using a good
analyzing tool.
www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com

An example.
My One hour LT is 270 Watts. If I want to do VO2 training I can look into
the tables of the CyclingPeals Software and see that I should do intervals
of 3-8 minutes at a Wattage of 286-326. Lower Wattage for 8 minutes and
higher Wattage for three minute intervals. Updating and progress feedback is
instantaneous.

--
Perre

"Power is the future"

Old July 10th 04, 06:21 PM
warren

In article , Pistof
wrote:

wrote in message
I've read a lot about using lactate testing in addition to (instead of?)
heart rate monitoring to make training more precise.

How widespread is lactate testing today?

How do you use it to improve VO2?

I don't know but I saw Lance using a little handheld lactate guaging device
in one of his Lance Chronicles episodes. It was called something like The
Lactate Pro or something catchy like that. I wonder if they will one-day be
as cheap as these $20 HRM's that we find everywhere.

The device he was using is good and only costs about $400, plus a small
cost for the disposable blood extractor parts. Simple to use the
device. Not as easy to use the information properly.

-WG
Old July 10th 04, 06:28 PM
warren

In article , Per Elmsäter
wrote:

An example.
My One hour LT is 270 Watts. If I want to do VO2 training I can look into
the tables of the CyclingPeals Software and see that I should do intervals
of 3-8 minutes at a Wattage of 286-326. Lower Wattage for 8 minutes and
higher Wattage for three minute intervals.

My LT (4mMol) power is currently near 320-330 watts but I do VO2max
intervals 30 seconds on/off for 5 to 10 minutes each set in the range
of 480-550 watts during the "on" portion. Depending on your objectives
you may want to add something like this to your training.

-WG
Old July 10th 04, 07:09 PM
Per Elmsäter

warren wrote:
In article , Per Elmsäter
wrote:

An example.
My One hour LT is 270 Watts. If I want to do VO2 training I can look
into the tables of the CyclingPeals Software and see that I should
do intervals of 3-8 minutes at a Wattage of 286-326. Lower Wattage
for 8 minutes and higher Wattage for three minute intervals.

My LT (4mMol) power is currently near 320-330 watts but I do VO2max
intervals 30 seconds on/off for 5 to 10 minutes each set in the range
of 480-550 watts during the "on" portion. Depending on your objectives
you may want to add something like this to your training.

-WG

I do of course do different intervals than the ones prescribed above. It was
as I stated an example of how my current fitnes will dictate at what level
to train for different goals, with the help of a Powermeter and good
training software.

As for your 30 seconds on/off. If you look at what you average for 5 or 10
minutes, including the off portion, you'll notice that it is proabably in
the range of 350-400 W which is percentagewise the same levels I work at
when doing VO2max work at 3-8 minute intervals.

I am in no way an expert on this. Just trying to follow the advice I've
received, as I've understood it, from the Wattage group and Andy Coggan.
Andy in particular has put down a lot of work in making Power based training
effective and easily attainable by everyone.
www.topica.com/lists/wattage/read

Your Coggan levels would look like this at an LT of 330

L6 Anaerobic capacity 399 W and up Interrvals of 30 sec to 3 min on.
app. 2 1/2 minute off
L5 VO2 max 350-398 W 3-8 min on 2 1/2 - 5 min off. Preferably 2 1/2
min off
L4 Lactate treshold 300-349 W 10-60 min on. 2 1/2 - 5 min off. Preferably
2 1/2 min off. 2*20 min very popular.
L3 Tempo 259-299 W. Up to 2 hour hard riding.
L2 Endurance 185-260W. Long Slow Distance
L1 Active recovery 0-184W

As your fitness increase or decrease, the software will adjust your levels.

But Andy Coggan and co-developers of course explain it the best.
http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411.html
Just hope maybe I've caught somebodys cattention and curiosity. I'm in no
way affiliated with the CyclingPeaks group, but as a very satisfied customer
I'd like to see them sell a lot of their products so they can continue to
provide me with good training tools

--
Perre

Old July 10th 04, 10:00 PM
warren

In article , Per Elmsäter
wrote:

warren wrote:
In article , Per Elmsäter
wrote:

[...]

Steady state intervals can serve different objectives than 30 seconds
on/off. Think of the many accelerations during the shorter intervals.
Each type of interval has its uses. This is why I suggested that you
consider adding them to your training-not replacing your current
method.

[...]

Yes, but unfortunately power levels don't fall along a smooth, straight
line when plotted against things like lactate and HR and the
appropriate training levels are not necessarily a certain percentage of
your LT power. It's good that you're happy with the numbers the
software provides you. This information is far better than most of what
is widely available, but the guidelines from the software are not
necessarily the best choice for some people.

-WG
Old July 11th 04, 06:49 PM
Per Elmsäter

warren wrote:
Steady state intervals can serve different objectives than 30 seconds
on/off. Think of the many accelerations during the shorter intervals.
Each type of interval has its uses. This is why I suggested that you
consider adding them to your training-not replacing your current
method.

Agreed. Nor did I expect you to replace yours

This information is far better than most of
what is widely available, but the guidelines from the software are not
necessarily the best choice for some people.

Hey. This ain't no religion. Just adding my small thesis to all the others
in the rbr testament.

--
Perre

Old July 12th 04, 04:52 AM
warren

In article , Per Elmsäter
wrote:

warren wrote:
Steady state intervals can serve different objectives than 30 seconds
on/off. Think of the many accelerations during the shorter intervals.
Each type of interval has its uses. This is why I suggested that you
consider adding them to your training-not replacing your current
method.

Agreed. Nor did I expect you to replace yours

I also do ones like you mentioned. Usually on a 2-4% hill. Sometimes
with a 10 second sprint at the very end.

This information is far better than most of
what is widely available, but the guidelines from the software are not
necessarily the best choice for some people.

Hey. This ain't no religion. Just adding my small thesis to all the others
in the rbr testament.

It's a better thesis than most.

-WG

Tips on top 5 mistakes that trainers make in races Badger_South General 0 May 23rd 04 08:50 PM
Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
3/27 Training Ride Notice: National Multiple Sclerosis Society MS150 The Roadkill General 0 March 25th 04 10:24 PM
3/27 Training Ride Notice: National Multiple Sclerosis Society MS150 The Roadkill General 0 March 25th 04 10:23 PM
effect of days off training? Eric Lambi Racing 6 December 23rd 03 03:59 PM