I delivered the wrong baby

Old June 22nd 05, 08:32 PM
roadkill

Default I delivered the wrong baby

UDC just called and offered a black, painted - Old Yuni Style -frame.

Guess I'll do that and have it chromed or even powder-coated locally.

--
roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

" Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. "
roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784

Old June 22nd 05, 08:33 PM
tholub

roadkill wrote:
*Well..Just got off the phone with UDC.
They said that the new Yuni frame looks exactly like a Semcycle frame.

Anyway, at that rate I don't want this thing not with only 2mm side
clearance for the big apple. I wish they would have told me before I
ordered it.
Rebecca, to her credit, is helpful, and was going to speak with Ann
and see what they could do... *

On my kinetic sculpture, I just replaced a Sem XL frame with the new
Yuni frame (28") and it doesn't look at all the same. The Sem frame is
narrower (doesn't fit a Gazz 3.0) and has a flat crown; the Yuni fits a
Gazz and has an inverse Y-shaped crown, with the frame tubes sticking
up.

At least you didn't get a banjo. But by my experience, and by the
photos on their web site, the Yuni frame looks nothing like the Sem XL.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old June 22nd 05, 08:41 PM
roadkill

-On my kinetic sculpture, I just replaced a Sem XL frame with the new
Yuni frame (28") and it doesn't look at all the same. The Sem frame is
narrower (doesn't fit a Gazz 3.0) and has a flat crown; the Yuni fits a
Gazz and has an inverse Y-shaped crown, with the frame tubes sticking
up.

At least you didn't get a banjo. But by my experience, and by the photos
on their web site, the Yuni frame looks nothing like the Sem XL.-

Take a look....

| Attachment filename: frame.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/328821|

Old June 22nd 05, 08:49 PM
tholub

tholub wrote:
*On my kinetic sculpture, I just replaced a Sem XL frame with the new
Yuni frame (28") and it doesn't look at all the same. The Sem frame
is narrower (doesn't fit a Gazz 3.0) and has a flat crown; the Yuni
fits a Gazz and has an inverse Y-shaped crown, with the frame tubes
sticking up.

At least you didn't get a banjo. But by my experience, and by the
photos on their web site, the Yuni frame looks nothing like the Sem
XL. *

That looks just like my Sem XL frame with the Big Apple. Since the Yuni
frame is used for unicycle.com's MUnis, and it's obvious that your frame
wouldn't fit a 3.0" tire, you don't have a Yuni frame.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old June 22nd 05, 09:53 PM
roadkill

Mistakes happen. But to UDC's credit they have been working hard to make
it right.

So, Sometime next week another brown truck will deliver the "older
style" black Yuni frame, cranks and new seat-post.

“The best-laid plans of mice and men
Gang aft agley (= often go wrong).
And leave us naught but grief and pain
For promised joy.” - John Steinbeck

I have to say that Rebecca (at UDC) is certainly great, and an attribute
to that company....

Old June 22nd 05, 10:15 PM
TonyMelton

If its not too late already, I would highly recommend getting a
'Semcycle XL wide 28\" frame'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=477) rather than a 28"
Yuni. I've ridden 29ers with both types of frame and the Sem is superior
due to its smaller width at the crown. Unless your really tall, the
projections on the Yuni's crown ends will be at perfect knee height and
you'll end up knocking your knees on them frequently and kinda painfully
(especially in offroad riding). I seldom if ever knock my knees on my
Sem XLW framed 29er.

+()|\|-

--
TonyMelton - Cloud 9

The way to a man's heart is through his veins.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old June 22nd 05, 10:58 PM
roadkill

Yes, I considered the Semcycle frame, but ultimately settled for the
Yuni.
By-the-way, UDC mentioned that There are two different width 29" Yuni
Frames (Referring to the Yuni frames that most are familiar with -
inverted "V" crown). One has a normal width and can accept even a big
apple without a problem. The other is considerably wider at the crown -
over 6" from outside edge to outside edge.

Old June 23rd 05, 12:28 AM
jagur

dont forget that one of the big differances between the Yuni and the
Sem's is the seat tube lenth. the Sem's seat tube is only like 3.5
inches long. the Yuni is around 5 or 6"

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old June 23rd 05, 06:24 AM
TonyMelton

roadkill wrote:
* One has a normal width and can accept even a big apple without a
problem. The other is considerably wider at the crown - over 6" from
outside edge to outside edge. *

Ahh, maybe it was one of these wider frames I tried. I'll try and find
the frame and measure it.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:39 AM
roadkill

TonyMelton Wrote:
-Ahh, maybe it was one of these wider frames I tried. I'll try and find
the frame and measure it.-

Thanks Tony - I would like that info.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I pumped-up the tire again tonight (a Big
Apple 2.35). It rubs on one side, and had only 2-3 mm clearance on the
other...ugly.

I look forward to getting the normal Yuni frame - this new style is just
not a working deal.