London Critical Mass October ride

Old October 30th 10, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default London Critical Mass October ride

On 30/10/2010 20:59, Doug wrote:
On 30 Oct, 13:17, wrote:
On Oct 30, 12:37 pm, wrote:

A jolly event this time, homing in on the financial district.
Repeatedly hooting motorists were jeered.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2010/10/467040.html

-- .
Critical Mass Londonhttp://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Get out of my way you f*ing cyclist or I will ram you!".

I like the article you linked to.
Picture two---illegal riding on pavement
Picture three---illegal riding on pavement
Paragraph one---illegal riding in pedestrian area
obstruction
Paragraph two---dangerous use of mobile phones
dangerous riding
Paragraph three---Admission that CM is now no more than a tourist
attraction.
Paragraph four---Admission of lawbreaking (RLJ)
Paragraph five--- allegations with no proof.

A majority of motorists break the laws and they are much more
dangerous and more numerous than cyclists so what point are you
struggling to make?

-- .
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Get out of my way you f*ing cyclist or I will ram you!".

He is not struggling to make a point, he made it, but just in case you
missed it, he pointed out the illegal activities on the link that you
posted.
As you posted the link, I assume that you agree with this lawbreaking, a
simple yes or no will do as an answer.

--
Tony Dragon
Old October 31st 10, 06:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 30 Oct, 20:11, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 30/10/2010 20:59, Doug wrote:

On 30 Oct, 13:17, *wrote:
On Oct 30, 12:37 pm, *wrote:

[...]

So why doesn't he point out the illegal activities of motorists as
well, of which there are many, to give a more balanced view?

-- .

Old October 31st 10, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 30 Oct, 19:57, maresh wrote:
On Oct 30, 4:20*pm, Doug wrote:

On 30 Oct, 12:50, Derek C wrote: On Oct 30, 12:37*pm, Doug wrote: A jolly event this time, homing in on the financial district.
Repeatedly hooting motorists were jeered.

Any well deserved rammings of cyclists?

So you approve of the deliberate ramming of cyclists by motorists? Why
am I not surprised? Have you ever rammed one or several?

Just to get first hand experience of CM I joined them Friday, I saw no
ramming of cyclists,

Neither did I, which is not to say that none took place because CM is
large and a lone rider can't be in several places at once. Much
depends on later reports.

I did notice though several drivers trying to nose into the ride.

I did see plenty of anti social & illegal
behaviour by members of CM.
There was lots of red light jumping that put people in danger, as well
as deliberate actions which had the only intention of upsetting
motorists.
On one occasion a cyclist swerved in front of a taxi & stopped, his
only idea was to provoke the taxi driver (it did not work)
The 'corking' was not done with safety in mind, it was only done to
upset other road users.

No it is done to prevent impatient drivers mingling dangerously with
large numbers of cyclists, instead of waiting patiently, as some
drivers do, for the procession to pass.

At one point some of the idiots on CM decided that they would ride
round & round a Land Rover, he could have just driven into them,
instead he just got out of his car, and laughed at them.
CM did not want to respect any other road users (including
pedestrians) but went out to upset as many people as possible.
After a while I had to leave, as they in no way represent normal
everyday cyclists such as myself, in fact they make my life more
difficult *as people might think CM represent cycling, they do not.

No I am sure that CM does not represent 'normal everyday cyclists',
who are a passive bunch at the best of times who seem prepared to
subjugate themselves to the role of second class road user. Maybe
though there are a few among them who are bit more militant and would
like to see a change for the better in their status but of course, as
lone riders, they are in a difficult and vulnerable position without
the support of others.

BTW, I have in the past ridden in club rides, which similarly
sometimes ride on pavements and go through red lights etc., but they
are not deemed in law to be a special 'procession' as is London CM.

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Whose streets? Our streets!"
Old October 31st 10, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_7_]

"Doug" wrote in message

On 30 Oct, 13:17, PeterG wrote:
On Oct 30, 12:37 pm, Doug wrote:

[...]

=======================

The difference is that motorists here will condemn those breaking the law.
I do.

Old October 31st 10, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Doug wrote:

Maybe
though there are a few among them who are bit more militant and would
like to see a change for the better in their status but of course, as
lone riders, they are in a difficult and vulnerable position without
the support of others.

So how long has CM been running in London and what "change for the
better" has it actually achieved in that time?

I would suggest the answer is zero and what change has happened has been
the result of activists campaigning and not from CM.

--
Tony
Old October 31st 10, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

"Mr. Benn" wrote:

The difference is that motorists here will condemn those breaking the
law. I do.

Really? Are you including the ones here that yesterday were saying we
needed more cyclist deaths because it meant less of them on the road?

--
Tony
Old October 31st 10, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 31 Oct, 07:52, Tony Raven wrote:
Doug wrote:
*Maybe
though there are a few among them who are bit more militant and would
like to see a change for the better in their status but of course, as
lone riders, they are in a difficult and vulnerable position without
the support of others.

So how long has CM been running in London and what "change for the
better" has it actually achieved in that time?

Impossible to say as connections are tenuous to say the least. However
it has provided moral support for the thousands of cyclists who have
attended every month for 16 years.

I would suggest the answer is zero and what change has happened has been
the result of activists campaigning and not from CM.

How can you possibly know that? Besides, often campaigners have ridden
with CM, including members of the London Cycling Campaign, from local
groups and the GLA , including Jenny Jones a regular attendee, so it
is all intertwined.

Motorists on this cycling NG like to believe that CM is absolutely
reprehensible but others more sensible than they disagree with them.

--
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"More bikes, fewer cars!".

Old October 31st 10, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Oct 31, 8:01*am, Tony Raven wrote:
"Mr. Benn" wrote:

The difference is that motorists here will condemn those breaking the
law. I do.

Really? *Are you including the ones here that yesterday were saying we
needed more cyclist deaths because it meant less of them on the road?

--
Tony

I believe that the thread you refer to was entitled 'Darwinism in
action'. Nobody wants to see cyclists killed, but if they ride in a
crazy and suicidal manner, this may be an inevitable consequence.

Psycholist - a cyclist who rides in a crazy, possibly suicidal manner.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...psycholist

Derek C
Old October 31st 10, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 31/10/2010 06:47, Doug wrote:
On 30 Oct, 19:57, wrote:
On Oct 30, 4:20 pm, wrote:

On 30 Oct, 12:50, Derek wrote: On Oct 30, 12:37 pm, wrote: A jolly event this time, homing in on the financial district.
Repeatedly hooting motorists were jeered.

Any well deserved rammings of cyclists?

So you approve of the deliberate ramming of cyclists by motorists? Why
am I not surprised? Have you ever rammed one or several?

Just to get first hand experience of CM I joined them Friday, I saw no
ramming of cyclists,

Neither did I, which is not to say that none took place because CM is
large and a lone rider can't be in several places at once. Much
depends on later reports.

There you go, no ramming, even Doug's 'magic camera' could not show any.

I did notice though several drivers trying to nose into the ride.

AKA trying to progress.

I did see plenty of anti social& illegal
behaviour by members of CM.
There was lots of red light jumping that put people in danger, as well
as deliberate actions which had the only intention of upsetting
motorists.
On one occasion a cyclist swerved in front of a taxi& stopped, his
only idea was to provoke the taxi driver (it did not work)
The 'corking' was not done with safety in mind, it was only done to
upset other road users.

No it is done to prevent impatient drivers mingling dangerously with
large numbers of cyclists, instead of waiting patiently, as some
drivers do, for the procession to pass.

It is in most cases illegal obstruction of the highway

Failure to comment on the taxi incident noted.

[...]

Lack of comment on various embarrassing items noted.

So there you have it, you second class wimps who use bikes everyday, CM
which is now a tourist attraction is going to make your status & cycling
life better.

BTW, I have in the past ridden in club rides, which similarly
sometimes ride on pavements and go through red lights etc., but they
are not deemed in law to be a special 'procession' as is London CM.

So again you admit to serial law breaking.

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Whose streets? Our streets!"

You have read it here, Doug has told yo, it must be true

--
Tony Dragon
Old October 31st 10, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 31/10/2010 08:14, Doug wrote:
On 31 Oct, 07:52, Tony wrote:
wrote:
[...]

And others who are much more sensible disagree with you.

--
Tony Dragon