Will anything stand up?

Old September 10th 03, 10:30 PM
m_extreme_uni

Default Will anything stand up?

I have to rant.
I keep breaking my unicycles. and it's making me very angry. I had to
get an Alex DX-32 for my trials a few months ago, and now it has a
massive flatspot. I've broken about 7 seatposts. both my profiles are
bent. like, this is supposed to be the best stuff! is there anything out
there that w'ont break? oh, and by the way, the only things i feel are
solid on my uni are the front Kinport handle, and the frame (YUni)

if anyone ever had anything that needs to be tested, i'd be more than
happy to. it seems like unicycling is a constant pit of money, than
mostly involves keeping my trials unicycle rideable.

grrr.

-Ryan

--
m_extreme_uni

I must only use these powers to annoy!!!
m_extreme_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/809

Old September 10th 03, 10:38 PM
Mandell

I have to wonder if there is anything out there which can stand up to
the abuse you put your trials uni through that won't end up weighing a
ton. I mean, a solid (not hollow) steel seat post would probably
survive, but could you still jump around with it?

--
Mandell - Keen Beginner
Mandell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3769

Old September 10th 03, 11:22 PM
gerblefranklin

For the issue of the seatpost, it seems as if the strongest seatposts
are pressure cast where the molten steel (or aluminum) is forced through
a cast that is in the shape of the seatpost. Then the cast is removed
and a few more things are done to the metal, and the seatpost is done.
The low end seatposts like the miyatas and schwinns are made by using an
industrial shet metal roller which rolls the metal and then welds the
seam to make it hold. This is much weaker. I'd also reccomend getting a
KH, Summit, or a New Onza frame, because those take larger diameter
seatposts which are inherently stronger. The KH and Summit seem to be
25.4mm, the New Onzas being 27.2mm. To compare, the Yuni frames use
22.2mm. For the question of flatspot rims, I've heard the the Onza
trials rim is much stronger than the DX-32. And, the question of the
Profiles? Get a spare set, and everytime you break a pair, slap the new
ones on and get the other ones replaced under warranty. Hope this helps.
Oh, yeah, if I ever mill out my own hub/crankset, I'll be sure to send
you one. In the meantime, make sure you roll out of drops.
Later.

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

Old September 10th 03, 11:25 PM
gerblefranklin

Oh, forgot to mention, you hjave my utter and complete idolization for
your ability to bend not 1 but bout your profile cranks. Keep on a
jumpin'!

Old September 11th 03, 06:13 AM
Eublapharis13

Hey Ryan how HIgh can you Jump?

--
Eublapharis13 - Working on wheel walking

Half the Bike.....Twice the MAN!
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

Old September 11th 03, 06:26 AM
jagur

Sofa wrote:
*maybe you need to perfect your technique*

by the means of what...an anti gravity belt? that guy does insane
stuff.

Ryan,as much as it may suck that your Profile's are bent,im happy to
hear they havent broken.do you have any movement in the hubs single
keyway? im sure folks would like to know.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gall...x_flipped.gif]

Old September 11th 03, 02:39 PM
Sofa

jagur wrote:
*by the means of what...an anti gravity belt? that guy does insane
stuff.

*

you never quoted my ' '

--
Sofa - Pedals Schmedals

'You're perfect Sofa!' - Scott (via 'Michael Moore'
(http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html) parser )
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old September 11th 03, 03:15 PM
Rowan

m_extreme_uni wrote:
*both my profiles are bent. like, this is supposed to be the best
stuff! is there anything out there that w'ont break? *

Specify the 'dirt jumper' (http://tinyurl.com/n019) Profile cranks next
time if you didn't already. They weigh more but are supposed to take
more of a pounding for extreme people such as yourself.
[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/diverse/036.gif]

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old September 11th 03, 04:44 PM
dustin

Ryan, how long do you ride your Profiles before you bend them?

You're doing hardcore drops and such, you can't expect stuff to last.
Even your Yuni frame will bend or break eventually. Simply sticking a
landing isn't the only thing to strive for, as was mentioned in an
earlier post, working the technique will save equipment and your body.

I just snapped my Kooka cross country cranks at a show last Sunday. I
wasn't disappointed because I got about two years of use out of the $50
USD I paid for them. I was really happy with the Kooka's cause they
never bent, straight as an arrow until they snapped...

| Attachment filename: kooka snap 1.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/161732|

dustin - on and off the road again

dustin kelm
www.dustinkelm.com isa40:30.31

"You are only limited by your imagination."
dustin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/920

Old September 11th 03, 07:57 PM
evilewan

gerblefranklin wrote:
*.I've heard the the Onza trials rim is much stronger than the DX-32.

And, the question of the Profiles? Get a spare set, and everytime you
break a pair, slap the new ones on and get the other ones replaced
under warranty. . *

the alex dx32 is the same as the onza rim.

its called the onza rim because onza had a special 19" version of the
alex dx32 rim made for their trials bikes.
alex then started selling 19" dx32 rims under their own name.

there is however another 19" rim, made by arrow racing which has a
slightly diferent design which is intended to made it stronger. i don`t
know how many people are using it and what results they`ve had.

as for the option of having two profile crank sets, i heard a stroy of a
man who had two zippo lighters for the same reason.

my profiles were starting to get a bit of play but i rotated them and
now its all fine, it seems to be that the splines were deforming. i
though it might be warranty time but was glad to find out otherwise. if
it took a year to start rattling then i`ve got annother 47 years to go
before all the splines wear down.
by which time i suspect that i`ll have done enough grinds to remove the
left crank.

i love the numbus / yuni frame, i wouldn`t replace it in a hurry.

if you`ve got a sponser though then your problems should be over.

you could start doing performances to raise cash.
i know some bike trials people are doing that.
build a show and get an agent.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--