a crack in the frame - what should i do?

Old May 3rd 04, 11:35 AM
Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Default a crack in the frame - what should i do?

Hello,
some days ago i saw that there is a little crack in my frame where the
seatpin is fixed. The following photos show it in more detail
http://www.baeing.de/riss_aussen.jpg
http://www.baeing.de/riss_innen.jpg

It is a ChroMo steel frame from Maxcycles, model Crossblast, from 1995
http://www.maxcycles.com/

I was already told by some people in the German bicycle-newsgroup
de.rec.fahrrad that it is possible to TIG-weld the crack by an
experienced welder, although this might influence the stability around
the welded part a bit. If possible this should be made by someone that
has experience with welding thin steel or bicycle frames in general.
I already found http://www.donohuecycles.co.uk/ in Durham and
http://www.longstaffcycles.co.uk in Newcastle-under-Lyme
but that is all a bit far away as i am not a motorist :-)
As i'm living in Liverpool at the moment I was wondering if there were
any places around here in the city or in Merseyside that would offer
this welding/frame repair service? Or should i just go to any car garage
that offers welding service?

Andreas

Old May 3rd 04, 11:47 AM
Tony Raven

Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
Hello,
some days ago i saw that there is a little crack in my frame where the
seatpin is fixed. The following photos show it in more detail
http://www.baeing.de/riss_aussen.jpg
http://www.baeing.de/riss_innen.jpg

Looking at where it is and its length I would be inclined to drill a small
hole at the end of the current crack, which will stop it propagating further,
and leave it at that. Its not actually in a structurally important position
unless it goes all the way round when it will detach the seatpost clamp so the
seat will swivel but nothing worse.

Tony

Old May 3rd 04, 11:47 AM
Zog The Undeniable

[...]

Is your seatpost the correct size (diameter and length)? This may have
caused the crack.

I would definitely try to have the frame looked at by a proper bicycle
framebuilder. Terry Dolan is based in Liverpool and has a good
reputation - he builds the GB team track bikes. In the worst case
scenario he could replace the seat tube.

You will obviously need a repaint after the repair, so compare the cost
to that of a new frame. Bob Jackson (www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk) make
some nice "off the peg" steel frames.
Old May 3rd 04, 12:06 PM
Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Tony Raven wrote:
Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
Hello,
some days ago i saw that there is a little crack in my frame where
the seatpin is fixed. The following photos show it in more detail
http://www.baeing.de/riss_aussen.jpg
http://www.baeing.de/riss_innen.jpg

Looking at where it is and its length I would be inclined to drill a
small hole at the end of the current crack, which will stop it
propagating further, and leave it at that.

Yes, that was one proposal in d.r.f as well. Yet it seems to me more
something like a "first aid" measure. But i'll give it a try as i have a
drilling machine but not welding tools here in my DIY-box :-)

Andreas

Old May 3rd 04, 12:23 PM
Tony Raven

Tony Raven wrote:
Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
Hello,
some days ago i saw that there is a little crack in my frame where
the seatpin is fixed. The following photos show it in more detail
http://www.baeing.de/riss_aussen.jpg
http://www.baeing.de/riss_innen.jpg

Looking at where it is and its length I would be inclined to drill a
small hole at the end of the current crack, which will stop it
propagating further, and leave it at that.

Yes, that was one proposal in d.r.f as well. Yet it seems to me more
something like a "first aid" measure. But i'll give it a try as i have a
drilling machine but not welding tools here in my DIY-box :-)

Andreas

Its the standard method of stopping a crack and is more than first aid. A 2mm
drill centred in the line of and a couple of mm beyond the visible end of the
crack should do it. Use a centre punch (careful not to deform the tube) to
make sure it goes in the right place.

The other alternatives FWIW is a stop hole as above with a bolt through it, a
bolted on gusset plate or rake out the crack and weld it. I don't think any
are practical in this context.

Tony

Old May 3rd 04, 01:07 PM
Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:

Hello,
some days ago i saw that there is a little crack in my frame where
the seatpin is fixed. The following photos show it in more detail
http://www.baeing.de/riss_aussen.jpg
http://www.baeing.de/riss_innen.jpg

Is your seatpost the correct size (diameter and length)? This may
have caused the crack.

Well, it seems that was the reason. Some years ago i bought a spring
seatpost from Airwings.
http://www.airwings-systems.de
And because the diameter did not fit to the size of my frame i had to
get a sleeve like this
http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main....I D=0&CID=175

And it seems that my bicycle dealer sold me the wrong diameter and
furthermore it was too short (5cm or 2 inches instead of 8cm or 3
inches). I'll now use my old seatpost for the time being.

I would definitely try to have the frame looked at by a proper bicycle
framebuilder. Terry Dolan is based in Liverpool and has a good
reputation - he builds the GB team track bikes. In the worst case
scenario he could replace the seat tube.

Yes, that is what i was looking for. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

You will obviously need a repaint after the repair, so compare the
cost to that of a new frame.

Well it does not need to look perfect. I's just a bike for daily
commuting and it is already full of little scratches anyway. I guess i
would just repaint the area around the repaired part even if the colour
does not fit exactly to the original. In 2 or 3 years time i plan to get
a new frame/bike anyway.

Bob Jackson
(www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk) make some nice "off the peg" steel
frames.

Oops, prices start from around £300. I payed £600 (900 Euros) for the
whole bike 10 years ago. Well obviously that seems to be the price you
have to pay when buying seperate parts.
Thanks for the advice.

Andreas

Old May 3rd 04, 01:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Andreas
Schulze-Bäing ') wrote:

[...]

Try Terry Dolan URL:http://www.bikes-dolan.uk.com/
4 Birchall Street, Liverpool.

Tel: +44 (151) 933 7001
Fax: +44 (151) 922 3631

Well known and reputable frame builder.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
but pick up the pieces.
Old May 3rd 04, 10:14 PM
The Slapster

Save up, buy a Litespeed and get a free replacement should it occur again?

Sorry - I`ll get me coat.

Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Who hopes to die peacefully - just like his Uncle,
And not kicking and Screaming - Like his Uncles passengers!!

Old May 3rd 04, 10:24 PM
Tony Raven

The Slapster wrote:

Who hopes to die peacefully - just like his Uncle,
And not kicking and Screaming - Like his Uncles passengers!!

I think the original version "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my
uncle... Not screaming in terror like his passengers." is better.

Tony

Old May 3rd 04, 10:44 PM
Mark McN

Reply to Tony Raven
I think the original version "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my
uncle... Not screaming in terror like his passengers." is better.

And am I wrong, or was it Emo who said it?

Or is that enough about sigs on this NG for today? ;-)

--
Mark, UK.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.