Lawyer hits hole with mountainbike and sues

Old April 8th 05, 08:53 PM
Maggie

Ningi wrote:

I'm totally with you on the general point about an over litigious
society, I just don't think this is a good example to use to make the

point.

The point being made is that McDonalds were serving coffee

_excessively_
hot (to save money) knew it was causing frequent burns, and did

nothing
about it. The lawsuit resulted in McDonalds serving their coffee at

sensible temperature. I don't see that as being a particularly bad

thing.

Pete

What the heck is a sensible temperature for coffee. Speaking as a
coffee drinker...at least 10 cups in one day. At the minimum.

(Yes that is why I post alot) COFFEE IS MEANT TO BE HOT!!!!!!

Thus the old saying...Give me a nice hot cup of coffee please.

Coffe is hot, ice cream is cold and dogs will bite you if you poke them
with a stick. Let's get real.

Maggie.

Old April 8th 05, 09:32 PM

I think that the reason that McDonalds was serving the coffee so hot
was to mask the taste. Served at the temperature that coffee is usually
served at, you are more likely to taste how bad it really is.

Old April 8th 05, 09:50 PM
Benjamin Lewis

scharf steven wrote:

I think that the reason that McDonalds was serving the coffee so hot
was to mask the taste. Served at the temperature that coffee is usually
served at, you are more likely to taste how bad it really is.

While I agree with your assessment of the quality of McD's coffee, this
doesn't seem likely to me. I suspect most people wait at least until the
coffee is their preferred drinking temperature before imbibing anyway.

Personally, I'd prefer to get coffee that's too hot than a tepid brew,
especially if I won't be drinking it right away.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.
Old April 8th 05, 09:58 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Maggie" wrote in message

What the heck is a sensible temperature for coffee.

For drive-through, they should probably serve it at around 160 degrees.
McDonanlds had had more than 700 reports of serious burns, and had settled
injury claims for more than $500K prior to this case.

Speaking as a coffee drinker...at least 10 cups in one day. At the

minimum.

Congratulations. Experts Agree--Coffee is Good Food.

(Yes that is why I post alot) COFFEE IS MEANT TO BE HOT!!!!!!
Coffe is hot, ice cream is cold and dogs will bite you if you poke them
with a stick. Let's get real.

The problem is that without looking at the facts of the case, such
statements seem to be just common sense. The problem occurs once you
actually understand all the facts of the case. Reportedly, the jury was
quite annoyed about this case when it began, and was strongly against the
plaintiff, and only after the facts were presented did they change their
mind about the liability. The attitude of McDonald's was the reason for the
large punitive award, the compensatory damages were only $160K. McDonald's
had focus groups on their coffee, and the customers wanted the coffee very
hot; taste was not a big issue (these people are eating at McDonald's after
all!).

There are so many myths regarding this case, that it could be a case study
in urban legends. The woman wasn't driving with the cup between her legs,
she was parked, and she was trying to remove the lid to add cream and sugar.
At Starbucks drive through they add the cream and sugar for you, before
giving you the coffee, but of course that has its own issues.

The real solution is for these drive-through coffee places to use one of the
methods of coffee conveyance that are described at
http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com.

Old April 8th 05, 10:40 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
Ningi wrote:

I'm totally with you on the general point about an over litigious
society, I just don't think this is a good example to use to make the

point.

The point being made is that McDonalds were serving coffee

_excessively_
hot (to save money) knew it was causing frequent burns, and did

nothing
about it. The lawsuit resulted in McDonalds serving their coffee at

sensible temperature. I don't see that as being a particularly bad

thing.

Pete

What the heck is a sensible temperature for coffee. Speaking as a
coffee drinker...at least 10 cups in one day. At the minimum.

(Yes that is why I post alot) COFFEE IS MEANT TO BE HOT!!!!!!

What about ice coffee?

Old April 9th 05, 12:34 AM
bbaka

Mike wrote:

I heard (and have not personally confirmed) of a successful suite
where a guy picked up a running lawn mower for the purpose of trimming
his hedges. His fingers that wrapped under the protective skirt
were severed by the running blades. He sued the manfacturer on the
grounds the mower did not come with a warning not to pickup a running
mower.

Mike

I have one more to add to that, and this one caused permanent damage to
an industry. A pilot, flying his own plane, a small Cessna forgot to
turn on the carburetor heat to prevent ice build up in the carburetor
venturi. Well, ice did build up and killed the engine and the pilot. The
wife a typical sue happy American sued the manufacturer for not putting
fuel injection on those older airplanes and won $15 million dollars.
This accident was due to her husbands blatant stupidity, not the
airplane manufacturer. She came out with $15 million minus lawyer costs
and caused the small, private airplane makers to stop making any small
propeller driven airplanes. Instead of making an affordable $30,000
private plane they have gone into half million dollar private business
jets. A small airplane was on my shopping list until this bitch ruined
an entire industry. Her husband did not follow FAA flight rules and she
got millions.

Just one more example of a lawsuit that should not have happened, and
did, and ruined the small personal aircraft industry.

Bill Baka
Old April 9th 05, 12:40 AM
gds

A small airplane was on my shopping list until
Bill Baka

While I agre with the theme of crazy awards and the damage they
cause---
There are still thousands of small prop driven planes for sale. Most of
us always had to buy these used anyway.
So no need to give up your dream.

Old April 9th 05, 12:44 AM
bikeguy11968

No way.. That's still bull#hit. It's a trail. Is it supposed to be
perfectly groomed and manicured? graded to within 10 thousands of an
inch. Perfectly level all the time, hence an uphill where you culd
potentiall have a heart attack. No downhills either cause you could
crash. ****, pretty soon all we are going to have is pictures of bikes
indoors to watch as we get fat because it's too unsafe to go outside to
ride. We might sue someone. This bull**** has to stop. Canada at
least has a fighting chance to stand up and say "you sir are the
dumbest person alive. As punishement we put YOU in jail to protect the
rest of society from your stupidity" America is too far gone. If
american law came out and said "You're a moron go away" they would get
sued for defamation of character or some bull now. We need to take a
stand before we lose our trails.

Old April 9th 05, 01:34 AM
bikeguy11968

Ok. I rest my case on the stupidity of this country..

straight from Yahoo news, as of 10 minutes ago..

Montana Moves to Ban Drinking Behind Wheel

Need I say more? that and the whole optional seatbelt thing..
Someone please protect us from the stupidity of others.

Old April 9th 05, 01:49 AM
bbaka

gds wrote:

A small airplane was on my shopping list until
Bill Baka

While I agre with the theme of crazy awards and the damage they
cause---
There are still thousands of small prop driven planes for sale. Most of
us always had to buy these used anyway.
So no need to give up your dream.

No, not really, but my wife hates flying with me at the controls since
she seems to be convinced I will do a loop or some stunt like on a bike.
The FAA really frowns on that so that won't happen. Any flying I do is
for sight seeing anyway and not for business, sardine class. And yes,
flying a small plane as the pilot does relieve a lot of stress since
there is almost no traffic where I tend to fly. Just stay away from a
big AFB like Beale and try no to get shot down.
Bill Baka