Help me fix Habanero mt bike?

Old August 23rd 04, 08:43 PM

Default Help me fix Habanero mt bike?

Several years ago I bought a Habanero mt bike.

I bought a 17 inch frame which I think in retrospect
was a bit small for me

I have plenty of adjustability in the seat height.....
but where I find it really uncomfortable is in my
handlebar height and the "reach" to the bars.

My bars need to be higher......and farther forward
towards front wheel.

Can I just replace the neck on this bike to solve this
problem?

Isn't there something called a riser neck..... that
angles at say 120 degs....and will allow greater reach
and height? My current neck is at 90 degs

If yes..... are BOA necks a good brand to get? If
yes... any advice on what model BOA to get?

Any and ALL advice will be appreciated as I have a VERY
high quality bike just setting unused cause its
uncomfortable to ride.

Thanks in advance!
Old August 23rd 04, 08:57 PM
Andrew Thorne

[...]

Yup, you can get a longer stem and/or one with a greater rise. You can also
look for a pair of riser handlebars if you're currently running flat bars.

That said, you may not be all that fond of how the bike handles with the new
hardware on it.

Or, you could sell the Hab and buy a bike that fits. You'd certainly take a $$
hit, but it's you'd have a bike that fits.

Oh, and buy from a shop. Habs are great, but if you don't know how to get a
bike that fits, don't buy mail order.

As for specific brands of parts, until you get the fit dialed, get the cheapest
stuff you can find. Once you know what lengths and rises you like, then buy
spendy stuff. The Profile BOA is a perfectly adequate, if ugly, stem. I've had
one on one of my bikes for two years with no trouble at all.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old August 24th 04, 02:41 PM

Yup, you can get a longer stem and/or one with a greater rise. You can also
look for a pair of riser handlebars if you're currently running flat bars.

Im pretty sure they are flat bars. So a set of riser
handlebars might be an easier better fix than changing
stem out huh?

Any specific recommendations of a GOOD quality set of
riser bars to buy?

That said, you may not be all that fond of how the bike handles with the new
hardware on it.

True.

Or, you could sell the Hab and buy a bike that fits. You'd certainly take a $$
hit, but it's you'd have a bike that fits.

Yeah I thought of that as well.... just sell the bike
take my loss and buy another bike. Actually my main
form of riding is commuting to work.....so a Hab cross
bike might be a better "type" of bike for that huh?
Old August 24th 04, 05:23 PM

No, swapping out a stem is much easier than installing a new handlebar.

Ahh yes..... you are right. Thanks for head up!

How long a commute? Have you tried skinny "road-type" tires on your current
bike?

Swap that stem, change those tires, enjoy your bike.

Not very far commute really

And yes.... you are right i should just take it to LBS
and have them do it

Problem is Id have to take it to St Louis which is a
two hr drive south of here. I live in very small town
with no LBS

Do you have any advice on what brand/model stem to tell
local LBS to try/use?

This is a VERY high quality bike...and I don't wanna
cheap out and put a cheap stem on it. Plus.... do you
think the LBS will give me any credit for my old stem?

Also..... have any rough idea what it might cost to
have LBS do everything?
Old August 24th 04, 08:36 PM

Have you contacted Mark Hickey at Habanero? He would be more than happy to
advise you, I'm sure.

Nope..... haven't yet. Hoped maybe he'd see this and
chime in.

If not..... Il email him direct with some pics of my
bike so he can "see" what Im talkin abt. G

At any rate... i wanted to get some opinions on how
best fix the problem first.
Old August 24th 04, 11:24 PM

Longer stem and spacers with do.

I MTB 2004