Mavic OpenPro clicking noise

Old August 1st 05, 12:58 PM
Jesper Brondum

Default Mavic OpenPro clicking noise

Hi

My problem is that my OP rims is clicking, afther a year or so, and the
warranty is therefore gone :-(

ie. all my OP rims, satin, black, CD klicks more or less.

It seems that the eyelets not properly pressed, so they start moving
around ... and click.

I examined my old OpenSUP from the mid 90's, and there the eyelets is
pressed properly to the rim.

Anyone got a solution ?

Jesper

--
// Jesper Bröndum
// jesper*at*apparatkonsult.com - replace '*at*'
Old August 1st 05, 01:40 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jesper Brondum wrote:
Hi

My problem is that my OP rims is clicking, afther a year or so, and the
warranty is therefore gone :-(

ie. all my OP rims, satin, black, CD klicks more or less.

It seems that the eyelets not properly pressed, so they start moving
around ... and click.

I examined my old OpenSUP from the mid 90's, and there the eyelets is
pressed properly to the rim.

Anyone got a solution ?

Common problem. get a small dropper of boiled lindseed oil, a drop on
each eyelet/nipple area. If still clicks, it's the wedge they use to
hold the rim together while they weld it. A teeny hole drilled there
and fill with some sort of glue. I agree, poor show for these not cheap
rims. Next time look at Velocity rims...better deal all around.

http://www.velocityusa.com

Jesper

Old August 1st 05, 06:35 PM

Jesper Brondum writes:

My problem is that my OP rims is clicking, after a year or so, and
the warranty is therefore gone. ie. all my OP rims, satin, black,
CD clicks more or less. It seems that the eyelets not properly
pressed, so they start moving around ... and click.

I examined my old OpenSUP from the mid 90's, and there the eyelets
is pressed properly to the rim.

If you look at the inside of the rim where the spoke nipple bears on
the eyelet, do you see any rust? It is my experience that clicking
occurs between brass spoke nipples and steel eyelets when the zinc
plating on the eyelets wears through to develop a fine layer of rust.
The clicking is from fretting, the same micro-motion that wore off the
zinc plating in the first place.

This has been common in rims as long as I have observed them.

http://www.amp.com/products/technolo...les/dd68_1.stm

Jobst Brandt
Old August 1st 05, 06:51 PM
Eric Hill

Default Velocity rims

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Jesper Brondum wrote:

Hi

My problem is that my OP rims is clicking, afther a year or so, and the
warranty is therefore gone :-(

snip

Common problem. get a small dropper of boiled lindseed oil, a drop on
each eyelet/nipple area. If still clicks, it's the wedge they use to
hold the rim together while they weld it. A teeny hole drilled there
and fill with some sort of glue. I agree, poor show for these not cheap
rims. Next time look at Velocity rims...better deal all around.

Okay, now I'm going to have to ask a question about the mixed reviews
I've been getting about Velocity's. Very popular with the fixie crowd,
but I've heard of issues with their durability. Without trudging into
roadbikereview, I'd like to figure out what the hay is going on here.

-eric
Old August 1st 05, 11:04 PM
Gary Mishler

"Jesper Brondum" wrote in message

Anyone got a solution ?

Yup, this happens all the time with OP rims. A teeny tiny drop of Tri-Flow
on each eyelet will solve the problem for several hundred or more miles.

Old August 2nd 05, 02:58 AM
Chris Nelson

Yup, this happens all the time with OP rims. A teeny tiny drop of Tri-Flow
on each eyelet will solve the problem for several hundred or more miles.

Ditto. This method solved my click also. Careful not to put too much as
it will eventually get in to the rim tape and tube and could cause a
flat. Been there, done that.

A little dab'll do 'ya.

Old August 2nd 05, 03:23 AM

Chris Nelson writes:

Yup, this happens all the time with OP rims. A teeny tiny drop of
Tri-Flow on each eyelet will solve the problem for several hundred
or more miles.

Ditto. This method solved my click also. Careful not to put too much
as it will eventually get in to the rim tape and tube and could
cause a flat. Been there, done that.

My experience is that the next wet ride washes the lubricant away and
the clicking returns. For this reason eyelets in rims should be
stainless steel as they are in some models.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 2nd 05, 02:23 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jesper Brondum wrote:

Hi

My problem is that my OP rims is clicking, afther a year or so, and the
warranty is therefore gone :-(

snip

Common problem. get a small dropper of boiled lindseed oil, a drop on
each eyelet/nipple area. If still clicks, it's the wedge they use to
hold the rim together while they weld it. A teeny hole drilled there
and fill with some sort of glue. I agree, poor show for these not cheap
rims. Next time look at Velocity rims...better deal all around.

Okay, now I'm going to have to ask a question about the mixed reviews
I've been getting about Velocity's. Very popular with the fixie crowd,
but I've heard of issues with their durability. Without trudging into
roadbikereview, I'd like to figure out what the hay is going on here.

I have built probably 300-400 wheels in the past 4 years using Velocity
rims. I have seen one failure(split rim at spoke hole) and that was
warrantied immediately...so My expereince is VERY positive about
Velocity rims.

Aero, Aerohead,Razor, Escape, Fusion, Deep V, Synergy, Dyad...I have
built with them all with great results. Now RBR may be talking about
their wheel, which are no better than any out of a box.

-eric

Old August 3rd 05, 08:00 AM
A Muzi

Eric Hill wrote:
Okay, now I'm going to have to ask a question about the mixed reviews
I've been getting about Velocity's. Very popular with the fixie crowd,
but I've heard of issues with their durability. Without trudging into
roadbikereview, I'd like to figure out what the hay is going on here.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
I have built probably 300-400 wheels in the past 4 years using Velocity
rims. I have seen one failure(split rim at spoke hole) and that was
warrantied immediately...so My expereince is VERY positive about
Velocity rims.

Aero, Aerohead,Razor, Escape, Fusion, Deep V, Synergy, Dyad...I have
built with them all with great results. Now RBR may be talking about
their wheel, which are no better than any out of a box.

We also moved to Velocity Aerohead/OC after the Campagnolo
Montreal was discontinued and our experience is positive. OC
especially means we build a better more durable wheel now.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
Jesper Brondum

In article .com, "Qui
si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

I tried oil, works until I wash the bike :-(

Does "boiled lindseed oil" ( what that is ?) stand for a wash ?

Newer heard of velocity rims, mabye on an US market only brand name ?

Jesper Brondum wrote:
[...]

// Jesper Br=F6ndum