Landis is proving it

Old July 14th 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

Default Landis is proving it

in message ,
Michael Press ') wrote:

In article
. net,
"Tom Kunich" wrote:

Nope. Popo isn't panning out but Danielson is the real thing. Azevedo
is going well right now and will improve. They will have to resign
Creed so that Danielson has someone to relate to besides Eki.....

Azevedo is 33. What do you expect from him?

Leonardo Piepoli is 37, and he won two mountain top finishes in the Giro.
OK, Basso gifted him one. He didn't gift him the other.

[ Disclaimer:Â*Â*ThisÂ*isÂ*aÂ*workÂ*displacementÂ*ex ercise.Â*Â*PleaseÂ*feelÂ*free ]
[ to reply either on or off group.Â*Â*ExpectÂ*lengthyÂ*repliesÂ*untilÂ*the ]
[ deadline has passed.Â*Â*Thank-youÂ*forÂ*yourÂ*cooperation. ]
Old July 14th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"Andre" wrote in
oups.com:

Scott wrote:
Andre wrote:
Proving that you can get the yellow and possibly the Tour without a
single team mate around.
He can get his water from the car and shelter from the wind from
riders around him.

Andre

With the dominance of the Postal/Discovery team over the past 7
years, we've forgotten that riders used to do quite well with limited
team support.

One thing I recall about Lemond's TdF career is the description of
his last two wins as "he won one without a team, and one in spite of
his team".

Lemond yes, I was trying to recall if there had ever been a rider to
win the Tour with such little or no support at all.

Jan Janssen...
Old July 14th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
tony

Scott wrote:
Andre wrote:
Proving that you can get the yellow and possibly the Tour without a
single team mate around.
He can get his water from the car and shelter from the wind from riders
around him.

Andre

With the dominance of the Postal/Discovery team over the past 7 years,
we've forgotten that riders used to do quite well with limited team
support.

One thing I recall about Lemond's TdF career is the description of his
last two wins as "he won one without a team, and one in spite of his
team".

Actually, Lemond said this in 1991 after winning with Team Z about his
two first wins, saying he had won in 1986 in spite of his team (La Vie
Claire and Hinault) and in 1989 without a team (ADR)

Old July 15th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
"Andre" wrote in
oups.com:

Scott wrote:
Andre wrote:
Proving that you can get the yellow and possibly the Tour without a
single team mate around.
He can get his water from the car and shelter from the wind from
riders around him.

Andre

With the dominance of the Postal/Discovery team over the past 7
years, we've forgotten that riders used to do quite well with limited
team support.

One thing I recall about Lemond's TdF career is the description of
his last two wins as "he won one without a team, and one in spite of
his team".

Lemond yes, I was trying to recall if there had ever been a rider to
win the Tour with such little or no support at all.

Jan Janssen...

Did Lucien Van Impe have a good team?

Old July 15th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

trg wrote:
"Bret" a écrit dans le message de news:

| Simon Brooke wrote:
|
| Nope. He's proving that he's individually a great rider. If he's in
| yellow on the Champs Elysees I'll be very surprised. You don't win the
| tour without a team mate around - or even with just Axel Merckx.
|
| Landis from the Cycling News interview:
| "We told most of the guys that it wasn't necessary to have the whole
| team there with me, even one guy would be enough. Probably some people
| misjudged the strength of our team to think that they're all bad; today
| we gambled a little. A couple of teams were very confident and did most
| of the work for us. Probably we can't expect that to happen anymore,
| but we take it."
|
| Maybe this is just spin, but it does make some sense. This would be the
| one day that at least one team would be guarantee'd to run a power play
| and all Floyd had to do was follow and have one strong teammate to
| supply water. We'll see how the team does down the road.
|
| Bret

If it were true, then wouldn't they go on letting people believe they just
folded? More useful to them. Or maybe I'm just used to Discovery's tactics
of never showing your real strength. (Like yesterday

Now Davitamon-Lotto are claiming the same tactic. Horner on Cycling
News:
"We talked about it a little bit yesterday About the two options, one
that we would take it easy and a few unimportant guys would go up the
road and about what would happen was that T Mobile would put the hammer
down making the split, Cadel just following the moves all the way. "

Bret

Old July 15th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

With the dominance of the Postal/Discovery team over the past 7
years, we've forgotten that riders used to do quite well with limited
team support.

One thing I recall about Lemond's TdF career is the description of
his last two wins as "he won one without a team, and one in spite of
his team".

Lemond yes, I was trying to recall if there had ever been a rider to
win the Tour with such little or no support at all.

Jan Janssen...

Did Lucien Van Impe have a good team?

Not sure, but he had an excellent director in 1976 who had to force
him to make his move. That was none other than Guimard who won most of
the tours from 1976 to 1984, i.e. 7 out of 9 !

Help for Landis Andre Racing 10 July 12th 06 09:51 PM
Floyd Landis peaking to early or TDF contender.....?? [email protected] Racing 4 March 13th 06 08:31 PM
Landis' comments Jim Flom Racing 45 July 22nd 05 09:41 AM
Floyd Landis' NPR Interview Isidor Gunsberg Racing 1 July 2nd 04 12:49 AM
Landis and Hostory 101 B. Lafferty Racing 28 February 28th 04 12:48 AM