Drug scandal rocks Australian cycling

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 19th 04, 11:15 AM
hippy

Default Drug scandal rocks Australian cycling

Originally posted by Peter Signorini
Unky posted this stuff: Justices Michael Kirby and Bill Gummow
yesterday granted the federal Taxation Commissioner leave to appeal a
decision that javelin thrower Joanna Stone's $136,448 in prizes and
grants were tax-exempt because, unlike sponsorships, they were not
considered "carrying on a business". ... etc etc

I have to agree wholeheartedly. My wife working part time to earn $25k
will have tax taken out of her salary, so why the f#&k shouldn't some
high flying athlete on a 6 figure payroll have to pay a damn sight
more tax too!

Well, as far as I am aware, Joanna Stone is a police officer. She would
be being taxed on that income just like your wife. If your wife took up
a sport, won lots and received sponsorship and prize money - would you
be so willing to have her pay tax on that?

I'd like to see taxes on 4wd's brought into line before worrying about
the winnings of a sports star..

hippy