LiveStrong Outrageous - Must Read

Old March 8th 05, 02:55 PM
Anthony A.

I saw an interesting application - one wrapped around the rear hub of a
built rear wheel. Of course this means that it was built into the
wheel. It seemed to just spin along happily when the rider rode. Of
course it could be cut out, if need be.

Hub jewelry.
What's next?

Old March 8th 05, 06:30 PM
Zoot Katz

8 Mar 2005 06:55:09 -0800,
.com,
"Anthony A." wrote:

I saw an interesting application - one wrapped around the rear hub of a
built rear wheel. Of course this means that it was built into the
wheel. It seemed to just spin along happily when the rider rode. Of
course it could be cut out, if need be.

Hub jewelry.
What's next?

We used to put leather straps around the hubs to wipe off the oil.
They kept the hub clean.

Deluxe models had the ends joined with a small bolt on reflector,
others just a cut tab that fit through a slit in the strap.
--
zk
Old March 9th 05, 04:37 PM
Peter Cole

Zoot Katz wrote:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:03:15 -0600,
1110251971.56916534a19eedd2dace7964ef4392fa@teran ews, "Mike Kruger"
wrote:

Gave one to somebody who was in the hospital. They refused to
wear it -- in fact, they already had another one they'd taken
off. Something about confusing them with a DNR bracelet (Do
Not Resuscitate). I don't know whether this is (a) urban
legend, (b) general medical practice, or (c) something
specific to this particular hospital.

Those are most commonly orange coloured, AFAIK. A colour blind nurse
or EMS responder might confuse them.
I had an organ donor dot applied to my drivers license until I

started
riding the bicycle again and dreamt about laying by the side of the
road and desperately trying to scratch if off while ambulances were
wailing in the background.

I spent a week in the hospital recently with a LiveStrong bracelet,
didn't cause any problems with resuscitation (didn't need) or
catheterization (don't ask). Coincidentally, the room I was given was
in a ward pretty much dedicated to organ transplant patients. Being
around them for a week really brought the reality home. I used to be
squeamish about being chopped for parts while on life support, but I'm
going to change my donor status now.

Oh yeah, for the cynics, the way I got my yellow bracelet -- my 11 yo
daughter wanted to buy a couple of bags of them and give them to family
and friends for Xmas. LA is a hero to her and she recognizes the cause
as important. How can you quibble with that?