Landis is done

Old July 11th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default Landis is done

Too bad, one of my favorites, but hip replacement means he's done.
Who's next?

http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/new...s/10326.0.html

Old July 11th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
psycholist

"Crescentius Vespasianus" wrote in message
ink.net...
Too bad, one of my favorites, but hip replacement means he's done.
Who's next?

http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/new...s/10326.0.html

Not necessarily. I was hit by a car a few years back and I broke my hip
quite severly. I was given a choice of hip replacement or a rebuild. I was
told the rebuild would last longer, but would be a slower rehab.
Conversely, the replacement would have me up and riding again sooner, but
I'd probably have to do it all over again in 20 years. So I did the
rebuild. Even with the slower rehab, I was back on the trainer in six
weeks. I was training outside in 3 months. At 7 months I did a personal
best in a mountainous century ride I do every year. I went right back to
riding 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year. This year, at 50, I've cracked 28 mph
for the local 10 mile TT and am having the best season I've ever had (though
I came to cycling rather late in life).

Next year Landis won't likely set the world on fire, but the year after
it'll might very well be like it never happend.

As an aside, I was very nervous about the prospect of avascular necrosis.
It was a real concern with my injury. I'm fortunate it didn't happen in my
case. I can't imagine Landis riding the tour with that condition.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old July 11th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Callistus Valerius

[...]

-------------
Having gone through this, what is your opinion on what happened to
Landis. Was it that he didn't give himself enough time to heal, or was it a
botched medical procedure?

Old July 11th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Everyone is different. Scar tissue forms in different ways on different
people. One person may heal without a hitch or you can have those like
Landis in which the healing cut the blood flow to the area and allowed the
joint to degrade much faster than would normally be the case. Tiny
differences in injuries can cause considerable differences in the way a
healing process proceeds.

Old July 11th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Snippy Bobkins

[...]

Hmmm...
the most frequent cause is a broken bone (fracture). Your doctor might use
other terms to describe avascular necrosis, such as osteonecrosis, aseptic
necrosis or ischemic bone necrosis. Avascular necrosis is more common in
men than in women. And it usually affects people before age 50.

Other common causes of avascular necrosis include:

a.. Corticosteroids. It isn't clear how these anti-inflammatory
medications, such as prednisone, cause avascular necrosis. People who take
high doses of corticosteroids for long periods of time - for instance,
people with chronic illnesses such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus - are
more likely to experience avascular necrosis. Avascular necrosis is rare in
people who take lower doses of corticosteroids for a short time.
Corticosteroid injections - for instance, into an inflamed or arthritic
joint - don't cause avascular necrosis.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ava...crosis/DS00650

--
Snippy

Old July 11th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

psycholist wrote:
Uh ... what Tom said. But what Snippy said is veeeeerrry interesting.

--
Bob C.

What's interesting about it? That high doses of corticosteroids taken
over a long period of time (which would likely lead to detection) may
cause the problem, or that low doses over a short period wouldn't?

No need to start a witch hunt over this. There's a perfectly good
explanation as to why Floyd suffers this ailment, and no reason to
believe he's abused drugs at high doses over a long period. None.

Fred

Old July 11th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RJG

wrote in message
oups.com...

psycholist wrote:
Uh ... what Tom said. But what Snippy said is veeeeerrry interesting.

--
Bob C.

What's interesting about it? That high doses of corticosteroids taken
over a long period of time (which would likely lead to detection) may
cause the problem, or that low doses over a short period wouldn't?

No need to start a witch hunt over this. There's a perfectly good
explanation as to why Floyd suffers this ailment, and no reason to
believe he's abused drugs at high doses over a long period. None.

Fred

Yeah, he just broke the head off his ****ing femur and (arguably) came back
too soon after the injury.

The things these dopers will do to hide their evil deeds....

Rick

Old July 12th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tuschinski

, and no reason to
believe he's abused drugs at high doses over a long period. None.
\

Phonak: Hamilton, Perez, Guttierez, Botero.

No reason to think Landis is a cheat. None whatsoever.

Landis' aerobars Robert Chung Racing 63 June 17th 06 04:25 AM
Landis' comments Jim Flom Racing 45 July 22nd 05 09:41 AM
How Long Until Landis vs. Botero Post? PanFan Racing 3 May 2nd 05 03:36 PM
Landis leads the Tour of Spain. crit pro Racing 8 September 6th 04 11:18 AM
Floyd Landis' NPR Interview Isidor Gunsberg Racing 1 July 2nd 04 12:49 AM