Safe temperature limit for heating CF

Old March 14th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Default Safe temperature limit for heating CF

Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in an
oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?
Old March 14th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 14, 12:19 pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in an
oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?

I'm getting a contact high from just reading this.

"What's cookin' Carl?" "Forksh"
Old March 14th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Still Just Me wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:19:01 -0500, Carl Sundquist
wrote:

Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in an
oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but paint that is put in ovens to
cure is engineered to be put in ovens to cure. Ordinary spray paint is
not mixed for this. I expect you are getting temporary hardness at the
expense of mid-term brittleness. YMMV.

"jim beam" will have to answer your CF questions. He's the expert
around here.

idiot.
Old March 14th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in an
oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?

there are literally thousands of potential "resin" combinations. unless
you know the composition of your component, you can't determine that
there's a safe maximum temperature, so assume there isn't one and don't
heat it.
Old March 14th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

jim beam wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in an
oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?

there are literally thousands of potential "resin" combinations. unless
you know the composition of your component, you can't determine that
there's a safe maximum temperature, so assume there isn't one and don't
heat it.

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.
Old March 14th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in an
oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?

there are literally thousands of potential "resin" combinations. unless
you know the composition of your component, you can't determine that
there's a safe maximum temperature, so assume there isn't one and don't
heat it.

And stay inside on hot, clear days?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 14th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in
an oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?

there are literally thousands of potential "resin" combinations.
unless you know the composition of your component, you can't determine
that there's a safe maximum temperature, so assume there isn't one and
don't heat it.

And stay inside on hot, clear days?

i was wondering who would post that kind of stoooopid comment. no tom,
terrestrial temperature ranges are ok. 375'F is not. 'k?
Old March 14th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in
an oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it
cause some sort of degradation of the material?

there are literally thousands of potential "resin" combinations.
unless you know the composition of your component, you can't
determine that there's a safe maximum temperature, so assume there
isn't one and don't heat it.

And stay inside on hot, clear days?

i was wondering who would post that kind of stoooopid comment. no tom,
terrestrial temperature ranges are ok. 375'F is not. 'k?

"jim beam" cluelessly ignores the "" emoticon. Did he/she/they/it
discover Usenet yesterday?

Old March 14th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using typical
spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put them in an
oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough (and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it cause
some sort of degradation of the material?

Don't do that. Your carbon is not the problem. The fillers
and bonding materials are.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 14th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I've been painting some parts using
typical spray paint. Usually the finish isn't that tough, but I put
them in an oven for 3 hours at 375 F and the finish is very tough
(and smooth).

Is that a safe temperature to which I can subject CF or will it
cause some sort of degradation of the material?

there are literally thousands of potential "resin" combinations.
unless you know the composition of your component, you can't
determine that there's a safe maximum temperature, so assume there
isn't one and don't heat it.

And stay inside on hot, clear days?

i was wondering who would post that kind of stoooopid comment. no
tom, terrestrial temperature ranges are ok. 375'F is not. 'k?

"jim beam" cluelessly ignores the "" emoticon. Did he/she/they/it
discover Usenet yesterday?

but it wasn't funny.

Temperature [email protected] General 0 April 23rd 08 08:02 PM
NBG's 2008 SF to Boston 6th Mayors' Ride Heating Up!! Martin Krieg[_2_] General 0 February 29th 08 07:35 PM
NBG's 2008 SF to Boston 6th Mayors' Ride Heating Up!! Martin Krieg[_2_] Rides 0 February 29th 08 07:35 PM
Denver's Real Bike Mayor, SF and CA heating up!! [email protected] General 1 July 3rd 06 05:30 AM
Denver's Real Bike Mayor, SF and CA heating up!! [email protected] Rides 1 July 3rd 06 05:30 AM