Cycling and vegetarianism

Old September 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-02, Roger Zoul wrote:
H wrote:
|| "DRS" wrote in message
||| [...]
||| As I keep
||| saying, you can always tell the person on the low fat diet because
||| they look
||| like ****. The truth is that dietary fats are not the enemy.
|| This is not much of a data point, but the few people that I know who
|| tried atkins and that have been strict with it, ended up with
|| decidedly awful-looking skin.

My skin looks great, so I'm told.

|| An even more negative impact of the atkins-thing is that in small
|| towns in rural america that already have a problem with obesity, the
|| atkins diet (correctly or not) is seen as a positive validation of
|| the
|| incredibily unhealthy meat-centric diet of these folks.

What? That sounds like nonsense to me. What makes you think obese people
have meat-centric diet? It's mostly junk/processed food centric, if
anything.

This is the truth. I grew up in Idaho. Every watched the exit to a Costco
in Idaho (rhetorical question, I know). Pallet after pallet of chips,
cola, corn dogs, etc. A parade of junk food, if you will.

Preston
Old September 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
Preston Crawford

Old September 3rd 04, 01:42 AM
Chalo

the black rose wrote:

Kevan Smith wrote:

Well, I am a PETA supporter. I am also 30 lbs lighter and riding my bike
faster than ever. You can eat all the nasty meat you want. I'm taking a pass.

Uh huh. That's fine, that's your choice. Calling the dietary choices
of others "nasty" is ill-mannered at best.

Umm, no offense intended, but have you killed, gutted, and dismembered
any critters lately? It's pretty gross.

Meat stinks until you cook it and transmits all sorts of unpleasant
diseases. The fact that it is nutritious and can be made quite
delicious with skillful preparation does not prevent meat from being
basically nasty. You can say the same for eggs, which I eat lots of.
I'll not dispute anybody who wishes to call them nasty-- they are!
And tasty.

I mean, let's be straight here. Polite or not, Kevan's terminology
can't really be faulted as inaccurate.

On a related note, I think PETA are just a bunch of jerks. They do
nothing but preach to the choir and **** people off, including a lot
of the choir.

I'm allergic to soy, peanuts, beans and peas as well as being lactose
intolerant. Eliminate the "nasty meat" and animal products from my
diet, sir, and just how do I get enough protein to survive, pray tell?

Sorry to hear that. I have a friend, once a vegan and an ex-member of
The Farm commune in Tennessee, who developed an allergy to beans after
having used them as the cornerstone of her diet for many years. Like
you, she feels she has to eat meat if she is to maintain decent
quality and variety in her diet. I can't say that I would cope very
differently in the same circumstances.

Chalo Colina

Old September 3rd 04, 03:19 AM
Roger Zoul

Chalo wrote:
|| the black rose wrote:
||| Uh huh. That's fine, that's your choice. Calling the dietary
||| choices
||| of others "nasty" is ill-mannered at best.
|| Umm, no offense intended, but have you killed, gutted, and
|| dismembered
|| any critters lately? It's pretty gross.

Gross is a relative thing. Once you've done it is a few times your
sensibilities adjust.

|| Meat stinks until you cook it

Not true if the meat is fresh.

|| and transmits all sorts of unpleasant
|| diseases.

Really?

The fact that it is nutritious and can be made quite
|| delicious with skillful preparation does not prevent meat from being
|| basically nasty. You can say the same for eggs, which I eat lots of.
|| I'll not dispute anybody who wishes to call them nasty-- they are!
|| And tasty.

That's silly. Nasty and tasty don't go together.

|| I mean, let's be straight here. Polite or not, Kevan's terminology
|| can't really be faulted as inaccurate.

Sure it can.

Old September 3rd 04, 03:19 AM
Roger Zoul

Chalo wrote:
|| the black rose wrote:
||| Uh huh. That's fine, that's your choice. Calling the dietary
||| choices
||| of others "nasty" is ill-mannered at best.
|| Umm, no offense intended, but have you killed, gutted, and
|| dismembered
|| any critters lately? It's pretty gross.

Gross is a relative thing. Once you've done it is a few times your
sensibilities adjust.

|| Meat stinks until you cook it

Not true if the meat is fresh.

|| and transmits all sorts of unpleasant
|| diseases.

Really?

Old September 3rd 04, 05:12 AM
Bill Baka

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 03:33:25 +1000, DRS wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:55:46 +1000, DRS
wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
news On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:44:09 +1000, DRS
wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
news On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:55:53 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:

[...]

I'm proof of this as I lost over 70lbs my first time on LC, and
couldn't exercise at all, in fact couldn't even walk without a
cane due to a hip injury. Since I had been a gym rat all my life

[...]

and get old. Dieting without exercise is just plain STUPID.

What part of "couldn't even walk without a cane due to a hip
injury" is giving you trouble?

None of it. Get a boat and row it if need be. I used to have a lake
in my back yard and no place to ride so I would row at a cardio pace
after work. 6 months of this and nobody would even consider arm
wrestling me, plus I had more energy all around, lower BP and heart
rate. I said 'exercise', not just bicycling.
DUH.

So according to you he was stupid for losing 70lbs without doing it
your way, that losing 70lbs had no benefit in and of itself.

Er, no.

I didn't say that.

Really? Lessee...

I said you can lose weight using diet alone. Badger said that was true,
he'd done exactly that one time when he was injured and couldn't
exercise.
You said "Dieting without exercise is just plain STUPID." So according
you he was stupid for losing 70lbs without exercising.

Do you have to argue everything? It is stupid if you can exercise is what I
meant.
Bill Baka

Old September 3rd 04, 05:16 AM
Bill Baka

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:51:34 -0700, Benjamin Lewis
wrote:

Kevan Smith wrote:

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:16:23 -0700, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Approximately 1 in 30000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella, 94% of
people who get salmonella recover without medical care, and only 0.5%
result in death.

That's still millions of eggs and lots of people suffering.

It's just a little over two million eggs a year out of the 69 billion
produced. Approximately one quarter of these two million will result in
human illness.

If you eat one raw egg every day for ten years, and you are guaranteed to
get sick if the egg is contaminated, you have approximately a 10% chance
of
getting sick. If you eat a raw egg every day of your life, you are
likely
to get a bad one once every 80 years.

I don't know about you, but those odds are better than I expected them to
be before I looked up these statistics.

Apparently you can also kill the salmonella without coagulating the egg
by
bringing it up to 140F (60C) for half an hour, if you're still worried.

Salmonella is on the shell, not inside the egg. The cooking kills any
bacteria that may have been transferred by breaking the egg. You could just
pop the egg into boiling water for 2 seconds and then eat it raw.
Bill Baka