5 more weeks till biking

Old March 8th 05, 01:53 PM
dgk

Default 5 more weeks till biking

Elbow surgery is over and supposedly went well. Only 5 more weeks
until I can resume commuting by bike. Already I put away the halogen
light. It was barely necessary the last few days before surgery and
certainly won't be needed when I'm back. I have to remember to charge
the battery every month or so since it's lead-acid.

I have made one (1) successful visit to the gym. They have TVs on the
NorticTrak things now. Just bring your own headphones. That almost
makes it usable. Still a waste of time compared to commuting by bike.
The whole idea of moving your feet and ending up in the same spot is a
bit odd. So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool. You
end up the same place that you started! How absurd.

My pre-op physical showed an HDL of 61. That is about 20 points higher
than when I started bike commuting. Stunning. It lowered my cornonary
risk down to below normal from a previous high risk level. That can
only be the biking. Only 5 more weeks.
Old March 8th 05, 02:59 PM
Rich

dgk wrote:
So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool. You
end up the same place that you started! How absurd.

The idea of getting your exercise on the unsafe streets. How absurb.
The idea of exercising only the lower half of your body. How absurb.
The idea of buying an expensive piece of equipment and then having to
store and maintain it. How absurb.
Old March 8th 05, 03:26 PM
Roger Zoul

dgk wrote:
:: I have made one (1) successful visit to the gym. They have TVs on the
:: NorticTrak things now. Just bring your own headphones. That almost
:: makes it usable. Still a waste of time compared to commuting by bike.
:: The whole idea of moving your feet and ending up in the same spot is
:: a bit odd. So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool.
:: You end up the same place that you started! How absurd.

Could it be that your attitude is a bit absurd? Some folks enjoy those
activities (I admit it is hard to really enjoy riding a stationary, but the
potential health benefits are decidedly not absurb.

::
:: My pre-op physical showed an HDL of 61. That is about 20 points
:: higher than when I started bike commuting. Stunning. It lowered my
:: cornonary risk down to below normal from a previous high risk level.
:: That can only be the biking. Only 5 more weeks.

Good. Weight lifting and flax seed can help, too.

Old March 8th 05, 05:10 PM
Maggie

dgk wrote:
[...]

Glad your surgery is over and you are on the mend. Don't be so hard on
the gym......it CAN be fun. ;-)
All Good Things,
Maggie

Old March 8th 05, 09:08 PM
dgk

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:26:28 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
:: I have made one (1) successful visit to the gym. They have TVs on the
:: NorticTrak things now. Just bring your own headphones. That almost
:: makes it usable. Still a waste of time compared to commuting by bike.
:: The whole idea of moving your feet and ending up in the same spot is
:: a bit odd. So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool.
:: You end up the same place that you started! How absurd.

Could it be that your attitude is a bit absurd? Some folks enjoy those
activities (I admit it is hard to really enjoy riding a stationary, but the
potential health benefits are decidedly not absurb.

Yes, that is why I belong to the gym. I just haven't used it much
since I started commuting. I never enjoyed it very much but did manage
to make it fairly regularly. Bike commuting serves the dual purpose of
getting me to work and doing the daily exercise.

::
:: My pre-op physical showed an HDL of 61. That is about 20 points
:: higher than when I started bike commuting. Stunning. It lowered my
:: cornonary risk down to below normal from a previous high risk level.
:: That can only be the biking. Only 5 more weeks.

Good. Weight lifting and flax seed can help, too.

No weight lifting for many weeks. I suspect I have a few rounds of
physical therapy before they let me loose on the weights. I could be
wrong about this but I believe that weight lifting is not particularly
good for HDL raising. I think aerobic exercise is recommended.

I never really do free weights; mostly I do the machines They have
replaced all the old machines with a new kind though. Much nicer but
the computer tracking system is gone. I think it was a real problem to
maintain so it looks like we're back to big index cards and
clipboards. Seems like a step backwards.
Old March 9th 05, 03:06 AM
Roger Zoul

wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

You're wrong about that. Both forms of exercise help HDL. I took mine from
44 to 87.

I never really do free weights; mostly I do the machines They have
replaced all the old machines with a new kind though. Much nicer but
the computer tracking system is gone. I think it was a real problem to
maintain so it looks like we're back to big index cards and
clipboards. Seems like a step backwards.

Well, machines work too. No excuses now, kiddo!

Old March 9th 05, 04:25 AM
Claire Petersky

"dgk" wrote in message

So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool. You
end up the same place that you started!

Oh poor you! Swimming in a pool is *so* boring. Back and forth, back and
forth, and the smell of chlorine to boot. The only thing equally dull is
riding or running around a track in a circle. These are the things you are
stuck with when there's no other choice.

You must enjoy cycling for the reasons I do -- new things to look at all the
time, the adventure of the open road, the challenge of traffic. The honest
smell of trees, flowers, and lake. It's different all the time.

I wish you a speedy recovery, such that you can be done with the dullness of
the pool, and can get back on the bike again soon!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 9th 05, 12:50 PM
dgk

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:25:43 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .

So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool. You
end up the same place that you started!

Oh poor you! Swimming in a pool is *so* boring. Back and forth, back and
forth, and the smell of chlorine to boot. The only thing equally dull is
riding or running around a track in a circle. These are the things you are
stuck with when there's no other choice.

You must enjoy cycling for the reasons I do -- new things to look at all the
time, the adventure of the open road, the challenge of traffic. The honest
smell of trees, flowers, and lake. It's different all the time.

I wish you a speedy recovery, such that you can be done with the dullness of
the pool, and can get back on the bike again soon!

Thanks much. I'm not even allowed in the pool yet. First the holes in
my elbow have to heal and then I need clearance on swimming. I'm
looking forward to it although I am not really a big pool fan. Mostly
I prefer the ocean but that is currently at 35F. The webcam at my
favorite surfing beach (Beach 90th in Rockaway NY) shows pitiful waves
at the moment. The forecast for today (from www.surfline.com):

---------------------------------
ROCKAWAY (90TH),NY
Hey, this is Micah with the report for Wednesday morning at 6:20 AM.
SURF
1-2 ft - ankle to knee high and poor conditions.

Blown out W wind chop with strong W winds. Cold and not looking good.
-------------------------------

The pool is looking better and better.
Old March 9th 05, 04:15 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:

I wish you a speedy recovery, such that you can be done with the

dullness of
the pool, and can get back on the bike again soon!

Thanks much. I'm not even allowed in the pool yet. First the holes in
my elbow have to heal and then I need clearance on swimming. I'm
looking forward to it although I am not really a big pool fan. Mostly
I prefer the ocean but that is currently at 35F.

I feel your pain. I was hospitalized for a week 5 weeks ago (perf.
appendix), and am just now getting back on the bike. I did pool
swimming off & on for a few years and never learned to not despise it.
If there's anything grimmer than hitting a pool at 7 am, I don't know
what it is. I did clubs (Nautilus) for many years. That stuff was
deadly dull, too. Indoor and outdoor jogging just seemed like a lot of
pain. Cycling has been an activity that I always enjoy and look forward
to, in contrast to all that other stuff. I'm no hedonist, I even like
the ultra-cycling events, where I find the beauty of the open road cuts
through the fatigue. I used to wet suit scuba in the winter ocean
(Boston), now that was intense!

Old March 9th 05, 05:59 PM

On 8 Mar 2005 09:10:03 -0800, "Maggie"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

Right! Let's face it, it's not the same as being on your bike, but
here in these cold climes, we need them. I don't use the nordic track,
i run on the treadmill, use the cross trainer and stairmaster, and of
course, weight training. Take it for what it is, and use it to get you
back into shape.

Glad your surgery is sucessful. It's always a pain to be laid up,and
last year I was where you are- laid up! Hey, did they give you good
drugs?

I actually just had a blood test, routine, and I found that my
cholesterol is 4.3 (over 5.2 is high) and my HDL is 1.15 and LDL is
2.88. Perfectly normal! I'm not overly obsessed with that but heart
disease does run in the family, even if I may be a bit young to worry
about it.