Nice rack . . . but just for one

Old March 9th 05, 04:45 PM
Neil Brooks

Default Nice rack . . . but just for one

A while back, I visited an LBS that had a wooden (oak?) one-bike rack,
freestanding.

It was all wood--hangers, uprights, 'feet,' etc., and totally
freestanding.

Closest parallels would be on Peter White's page:

http://www.branfordbike.com/storage/storage2.html#item2

Like the Lean Machine, only:
- one bike only
- totally freestanding. No wall support needed

Like the Wall Mounted Oak Rack in terms of the actual bike supports,
but (obviously)
- not wall-mounted

It looked like the Wall Mounted Oak Rack mounted on a valet:

http://furnitureforsale.lunarpages.c...naoakvalet.jpg

Anybody know where I can buy such a thing? The MTB's sleep outside.
My tourer and my wife's bike sleep on a floor-to-ceiling metal job in
the extra bedroom. The Moots--she has agreed--can sleep in the living
room if it sleeps in something elegant. She's signed off on the above
idea. She's quite marginal on this one: http://tinyurl.com/4rcu2

TIA,

Neil
Old March 9th 05, 08:55 PM
Matt O'Toole

Neil Brooks wrote:

[...]

Performance/Nashbar/Supergo sell a bunch of them, including the ones above. I'm
using a homemade version of that wooden expansion screw model, which my friend
made for about ten bucks a few years ago.

The easiest solution, if your ceiling (or landlord!) allows it, is to hang one
bike upside down from two hooks, and park the other beneath it. The problem is
the typical joist centers may be a little too wide. In that case, put the hooks
into a board and screw the board into the studs.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I'd like to have a really nice "hall tree"
type of bike cabinet, which will hold a couple of bikes plus all the
accessories -- helmets, jackets, tools, pumps, spare tires and tubes, etc. --
appropriate for the entry area of a nice house.

Matt O.

Old March 9th 05, 09:32 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:45:24 GMT,
, Neil Brooks
wrote:

A while back, I visited an LBS that had a wooden (oak?) one-bike rack,
freestanding.

It was all wood--hangers, uprights, 'feet,' etc., and totally
freestanding.

Closest parallels would be on Peter White's page:

http://www.branfordbike.com/storage/storage2.html#item2

\snip

There's the possibly that it could've been custom made in a small
furniture shop or at home by a DIY woodworker. Maybe his kid built it
as a wood shop project in high school. It could probably even be done
with hand tools using available standard sizes of hardwood lumber.
If you remember where you saw it, why not call them and ask.
--
zk
Old March 9th 05, 10:23 PM
Neil Brooks

Zoot Katz wrote:

There's the possibly that it could've been custom made in a small
furniture shop or at home by a DIY woodworker. Maybe his kid built it
as a wood shop project in high school. It could probably even be done
with hand tools using available standard sizes of hardwood lumber.
If you remember where you saw it, why not call them and ask.

I'm just about betting that's the case.

I know where I saw it, but it's the LBS that lost the business on my
new bike. I'm not anxious to ask, and he may not be anxious to tell.

I figured if somebody had a handle on it, pre-fab, that'd be easier,
but it may come to a touch of groveling and the purchase of a few
unnecessary tubes....
Old March 9th 05, 10:36 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:23:33 GMT,
, Neil Brooks
wrote:

There's the possibly that it could've been custom made in a small
furniture shop or at home by a DIY woodworker. Maybe his kid built it
as a wood shop project in high school. It could probably even be done
with hand tools using available standard sizes of hardwood lumber.
If you remember where you saw it, why not call them and ask.

I'm just about betting that's the case.

I know where I saw it, but it's the LBS that lost the business on my
new bike. I'm not anxious to ask, and he may not be anxious to tell.

I figured if somebody had a handle on it, pre-fab, that'd be easier,
but it may come to a touch of groveling and the purchase of a few
unnecessary tubes......

Phone 'em up. Just mention you've been in the store a few times. Call
from a pay phone if you want. They don't need to know _who_ you are.
Compliment their gorgeous rack. Be ready for a gushing response if the
owner or their kid built it.
--
zk
Old March 9th 05, 10:39 PM
Neil Brooks

Zoot Katz wrote:

Phone 'em up. Just mention you've been in the store a few times. Call
from a pay phone if you want. They don't need to know _who_ you are.
Compliment their gorgeous rack. Be ready for a gushing response if the
owner or their kid built it.

Good call . . . and more than a touch sneaky. I like it!
Old March 9th 05, 10:48 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:39:01 GMT,
, Neil Brooks
wrote:

Phone 'em up. Just mention you've been in the store a few times. Call
from a pay phone if you want. They don't need to know _who_ you are.
Compliment their gorgeous rack. Be ready for a gushing response if the
owner or their kid built it.

Good call . . . and more than a touch sneaky. I like it!

It's called "social engineering".
--
zk
Old March 10th 05, 07:47 AM
Tom Sherman

Neil Brooks wrote:...

Is it possible for Mr. Brooks to initiate a thread without a suggestive
title?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 10th 05, 08:04 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:47:12 -0600, ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Neil Brooks wrote:...

Is it possible for Mr. Brooks to initiate a thread without a suggestive
title?

I thought he was talking about big bucks.
--
zk
Old March 10th 05, 03:16 PM
Neil Brooks

Zoot Katz wrote:

Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:47:12 -0600, ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Neil Brooks wrote:...

Is it possible for Mr. Brooks to initiate a thread without a suggestive
title?

I thought he was talking about big bucks.

Which reminds me (of course) of a joke:

Do you know the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?

Beer nuts are about a dollar and a half, while deer nuts are under a
buck.

And now I shall apologize profusely to the Usenet gods, both for my
salacious titling (that was close) and for my weak joke.

nice to be back Joshua Goldberg Recumbent Biking 17 March 15th 05 11:03 AM
Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM
DIY REAR RACK MOUNT g.daniels Techniques 2 September 27th 04 06:18 PM
Rear rack for MTB Brian UK 15 August 4th 04 08:01 PM
need an easy to use bike rack bike Mountain Biking 13 August 5th 03 07:59 AM