"A Bicycle Shop" (163 w22nd st) totally full of sh!t

Old October 26th 06, 04:52 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
dgk

Default "A Bicycle Shop" (163 w22nd st) totally full of sh!t

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:56:30 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

dgk wrote:

Public transit is essentially $3 a day for me if I take the bus and
train. I just paid $20 to get a spoke replaced. There goes a week of
commuting.

So, do you lose the best part of 50 spokes a year?

Pete.

I do break a lot of spokes. Maybe four a year or so. It's annoying. I
think because I ride a hybrid so there is a fair amount of weight on
the rear wheel. I've never broken one on the front tire.
Old October 26th 06, 04:55 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
dgk

On 25 Oct 2006 18:38:36 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:39:45 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

It's much cheaper, unless public transport in NYC is basically free or
you are particularly prne to breaking your bikes.

Public transit is essentially $3 a day for me if I take the bus and
train. I just paid $20 to get a spoke replaced. There goes a week of
commuting. I think I should be able to handle a broken spoke, except
they're always the drive side of the rear wheel. I need to learn how
to use a chain whip to get the cassette off. I'll do it next time.

Look he

http://tinyurl.com/ymjggc

scroll down to find the appropriate info.

(You might want to bookmark the Park Tool site, it's the most useful
one on the internet for DIY service and repairs.)

That link didn't work for me but I went to Park Tools and found it.
Thanks, I'll learn how to do it. I have the tools I think.
Old October 27th 06, 09:06 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Peter Clinch

dgk wrote:

I do break a lot of spokes. Maybe four a year or so. It's annoying.

It's also unusual to get that many breaks /if/ you have good quality
wheels. A case of spending a bit more up front and saving in the long term.

Beyond that, it still gives you ~10 months of the year of "free" commuting!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 27th 06, 01:48 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
dgk

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:03:00 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Peter Clinch wrote:

It is healthier: motorists get the same pollution as cyclists. Cyclists
live on average rather longer than non-cyclists.

Averages are deceptive. That's why statisticians almost never rely on
averages.

And how do motorists get the same pollution? For one thing, they run
from it faster. For another, they're usually enclosed, with climate
control (which I assume has a filter).

Very few do, and filters only remove particulates, not gasses. And the
air inside the car is also contaminated with chemicals from the car
itself: outgassing from adhesives, dyes, plastics, etc. As well as
anything that the engine emits under the hood, because most cars have
the air intake partially under the hood at the base of the windshield.
Some of them have some sealing there, but that would only be effective
when the car is moving. When stuck in traffic, the under-hood emissions
come up around the sides of the hood.

True about the inside car air. As for the outside air, pedestrians get
the same pollution, as do residents. I live a block from a highway
which is often referred to as the longest parking lot in the world.
Or, if raining, the longest carwash. I can't be breathing much more
dangerous air while biking than I am watching TV.

Some of my commute is along a river, so I must be getting some good
air coming off that. Somehow it seems more pristine.
Old October 28th 06, 02:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

NYC XYZ wrote:
Cathy Kearns wrote:

On the San Francisco peninsula there are many good local bike shops, with
really friendly service. Our family has bought three bikes, from two
different LBS's, in the last two years. At both bike stores they were happy
to adjust the bikes to fit us (including changing pedals to test road bikes)
and let us take as many test rides as we wanted without requiring us to
leave even a driver's license behind. (We offered...)

Recently I went into one of our LBS to get thorn resistant tubes for my
daughter's bike. It's a big year for the thorny weeds, so they were out of
stock. However, rather than selling me another solution (he had the tire
liners and goo there, but he didn't recommend them) he called up other LBS's
until he found one with them in stock, and had them hold them until I got
there. These stores are in no way financially connected. That was just
plain nice. And yeah, I'll go to him first next time too.

Lucky you. I'm all for small businesses of the mom-and-pop variety,
but it's been my misfortune that I haven't come across one like what
you describe. The ones most physically proximate to me range from
downright untrustworthy (the one on the next block, actually) to okay
(the two next closest ones in my nabe and the closest one in Manhattan)
to mixed-bag (the second-closest one in Manhattan).

Seems to me, a bike shop's main purpose in this day and age is really
service, repairs and such.

Hardly, no more than the car dealer is mainly there to repair and
service. They are there to sell ya something, mostly, the big ones that
will most often have trekgiantspecializedconnondalefeltkona, etc...

And that's where character and work ethic
really counts, stuff that can't be really counted (quantified) and
easily measured. So my search contines for competent mechanics I can
trust to actually do the job and do it right, do it honestly. I'm not
even looking for a bargain -- I just want to make sure that the $150 or
$200 overhaul really did mean he checked my ball bearings and relubed
them, etc. The only thing more discouraging than finding loose cables
after a tune-up from one shop is finding a loose cassette after an
overhaul from another shop!!

Buy Lennard's book and do it yourself.

Old November 7th 06, 08:51 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
NedTexTri

You again?! Are you buying or selling something? If not, take this
somewhere else.

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've yet to go to one LBS which gave me a good feeling. Many made me
disgusted, many left me with no feeling whatsoever -- I could have been
at the DMV renewing my driver's license -- but none have left me with a
favorable impression, where I feel like I trust the person, not only
for their mechanical skills (sometimes not much better than my own,
actually) but for their "character" and "work ethic" (a c"omplete
inspection and rehaul" means a complete inspection and rehaul -- many
times I've caught some of the most obvious ****, like loose cassettes
or less-than-taut cables, never mind whether they really did check my
ball bearings!). The all-time full-of-**** award has to go to The Bike
Stop of Astoria, whose owner had sold me a brand-new bike with a
defective (loose, no matter how much you tighten it) headset/stem but
tried very hard to pass that off as "normal."

However, screws can indeed be very bike-specific! I got an HP-Velo SWB
recumbent bike earlier this year, and it came with a defective rear air
shock. When I sent the air shock back to the manufacturer, I'd sent
along the screws that joined the shock to the bike. Well! Turns out
that the screws are specific to different bikes, at least in the case
of rear shocks, owing to different "triangle" (forgot the technical
term) widths and so forth. These were long, three or four-inch screws,
bolts, really. Anyway, it was just a big to-do...I thought I could
just get one from a bike shop or even a hardware store, but no, these
things aren't standardized and you need to know length and diameter,
and possibly the thread type, too!

l'Al Cool wrote:
I visited "a bicycle shop" that used to be on w14th, and has now moved
to 163 w 22nd betw 6th and 7th, near where I work. I just needed a
simple 5mm screw. Well, the guy behind the counter told me every bike
needs a different screw and that he couldn't sell me one screw, since
the screws are specific to the bicycle! What a total load of crap.

I can't believe that he would lie about something so insignificant. If
he would lie about something as stupid as a screw, what else is this
guys lying about?

I can understand if he said, "look, we don't sell items like that
unless you have purchased the parts from us", That's totally cool. Why
should he have to support non-customers? But to out and out lie to
someone's face is just plain wrong.

I'm sure owning a bike shop isn't that profitable, what with the big
box stores and the etailers and what not, and I'm sure accessories and
service are a big part of his profit margin. I can totally understand
where he is coming from. I cannot tolerate outright lying, however.

It's a shame as I work in the neighborhood and would purchase stuff
from him, but not now! I wouldn't spend a cent in that store, and if
you believe in rewarding honorable merchants, you shouldn't either.

Oh, and to top it off, while I was leaving I overheard him telling
another customer that people don't like doing business at Metro (on 6th
ave and 16th st). Like who the hell is he to badmouth a competitor?
What a lowlife!

Old November 7th 06, 07:14 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
NYC XYZ

Buy a clue, asshole.