What the hell happened to our newsgroup?

Old April 23rd 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
joekhul

Default What the hell happened to our newsgroup?

This spam is the worst I've seen.

It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.
Old April 24th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:40:43 -0700 (PDT), joekhul
wrote:

This spam is the worst I've seen.

It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It might
spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about it.

The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming primarily
from Google Groups users.
--
zk
Old April 24th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:

This spam is the worst I've seen.

It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It might
spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about it.

The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming primarily
from Google Groups users.

On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most days
only 1 or 2.

Old April 24th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

wrote:

This spam is the worst I've seen.

It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It
might
spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about
it.

The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming
primarily
from Google Groups users.

On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most
days only 1 or 2.

I'm accessing through SBC (nowAT&T) and in the past few weeks I've
gone from very few spam threads to being innundated.

--
Mike Kruger
"You have to be careful if you are reckless." - Richard M. Daley

Old April 24th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-04-24, ZBicyclist wrote:

wrote:

This spam is the worst I've seen.

It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It
might
spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about
it.

The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming
primarily
from Google Groups users.

On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most
days only 1 or 2.

I'm accessing through SBC (nowAT&T) and in the past few weeks I've
gone from very few spam threads to being innundated.

Same here. I finally had to killfile Google Groups (minus a select
whitelist) to manage it.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old April 24th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

.org...
On 2008-04-24, ZBicyclist wrote:

Same here. I finally had to killfile Google Groups (minus a select
whitelist) to manage it.

As usual. KMZ has it right. I am notoriously cheap and lazy, so I use
Comcast/AT&T (my ISP) for my news server at home, using OE for the
interface. FF is better, but I don't like clicking so many times to killfile
stuff.

I use my no additional charge (bundled with rent) VDSL service, a free
news server and free Thunderbird (Mozilla, not Gallo). I am cheap.

At work, I use a free browse-only news server (text-groups only), with IE as
the interface for GG. I prefer the OE interface (over IE) for browsing,
because it is easier to see who is replying to whom. But if I want to post
or reply, I need to switch over to IE/GG.

Certainly not an elegant system, but not bad once you get used to it.

Google Groups is useless because they suspend your posting privileges
for several hours if you send more than a couple of dozen posts, which
makes it hard to participate in flame wars.

Old April 24th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Everett

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:23:53 -0500, "ZBicyclist"
wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most
days only 1 or 2.

I'm accessing through SBC (nowAT&T) and in the past few weeks I've
gone from very few spam threads to being innundated.

I'm also with ATT/SBC/Yahoo and see the same thing. Since my
newsreader is Agent it's pretty simple to sort on author, select the
blocks of spam, and delete them. I'm now doing this before resorting
into threads every time I "rn".

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old April 24th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Apr 23, 4:40 pm, joekhul wrote:
This spam is the worst I've seen.

It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

Abuse?? I LOVE watches and sneakers!
Old April 25th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 24, 11:32*am, landotter wrote:
On Apr 23, 4:40 pm, joekhul wrote:

This spam is the worst I've seen.

It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

Abuse?? I LOVE watches and sneakers!

I bought a bunch of those watches. I am going to send them to R.B.*
regulars for Xmas.

J.