The pleasures of illegal cycling

Old June 1st 09, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.net.news.config
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Default The pleasures of illegal cycling

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 00:51:08 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

There was no need for this crosspost. It serves no useful purpose. It
will not adversely affect Chapman's candidacy as a moderator, it will
adversely affect your prospects. It will also ensure that fewer people
will take you seriously when it comes to a vote.

What candidacy? I have absolutely no intention of offering to be a
moderator. I've said this more than once. As to judith's prospects,
well, I'd think they started at zero and have gone steadily down from
there. I guess we could take a vote, but the inevitable humiliation
seems unnecessary.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old June 1st 09, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 01:37:36 +0100, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

The fact that Lou Knee replied to someone Guy had killfiled does
rather undermine your assertion that they are the same person.

There are several types of kill filter in Agent. Nuxx, judith, nully
and their many invisible friends are on "delete" whereas the perennial
irritants (JNugent, MattB) are on "Mark read". Any time I go to the
Google Groups archive to retrieve something no longer in my local
cache, I obviously see them in all their repetitive vileness, but I
find it increasingly easy to ignore them there as well.

Guy

Old June 1st 09, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.net.news.config
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 31 May 2009 16:19:08 -0700 (PDT), PhilO
wrote:

It is a reference to a class of cycles which are stupidly strictly not
legal.

It's a nod to the "Legalize My Cannondale" advertising campaign. The
bike is perfectly lawful (during daylight at least) but the luddite
UCI think it's illegal - along with a whole load of other bikes,
including Chris Boardman's Burrows/Lotus and more currently the
Cervélo P2, P3 and P4 if you believe the forums.

Obviously non-cyclists won't understand any of the nuances here or
appreciate the joke, but this is not a forum where one would expect to
have to dumb down content for the benefit of non-cyclists (the group
name is a bit of a giveaway in that respect).

Guy

Old June 1st 09, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.net.news.config
James[_5_]

wrote:

There was no need for this crosspost. It serves no useful purpose. It
will not adversely affect Chapman's candidacy as a moderator, it will
adversely affect your prospects. It will also ensure that fewer people
will take you seriously when it comes to a vote.

What candidacy? *I have absolutely no intention of offering to be a
moderator. *I've said this more than once. *As to judith's prospects,
well, I'd think they started at zero and have gone steadily down from
there. *I guess we could take a vote, but the inevitable humiliation
seems unnecessary.

Might be fun though :-)

James
Old June 1st 09, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James[_5_]

On Jun 1, 4:01*pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:43:39 -0700 (PDT), James

wrote:
On Jun 1, 2:16*pm, Peter Keller wrote:
I bicycled illegally for some time.
However I could not put up with the sactimonious hassling I got from the
constabulary

I cycle illegally most days. The policemen seem friendly enough.

Thank you James and Peter for reminding me of one of the few pieces of
(more or less) unregulated freedom we have in the UK. *The UCI might
think my bike is illegal, but Plod don't, and long may it so remain.
I'd forgotten about the illegal tandems in Japan. *That really is
bloody silly. *I wonder what they'd have made of our Me'n'U2?

They are actually introducing some new laws about specially designed
high-tech tricycles for carrying children. I just hope it doesn't stir
up enough public awareness to generate any interest in us (actually I
think the law may have changed some time ago, which presumably means
it didn't).

James
Old June 1st 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.net.news.config
Steve Firth

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

this is not a forum where one would expect to have to dumb down content
for the benefit of non-cyclists

Why would you expect uk.net.news.config to be full of people who care
about the nuances of various makes of bicycle?
Old June 1st 09, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 01:37:36 +0100, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

"http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=15604&st=40"
considered Sun, 31 May 2009 21:37:05 +0100 the
perfect time to write:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 17:04:09 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

I had completely forgotten the pleasures of illegal cycling! Leaving
aside the dragging disc brakes (until I cleaned them of crud with a
few sharp stops) and the small smear of chain oil on my shorts, I
rediscovered the delights of zipping along into wind at 20mph, rolling
along a smooth road at 30 and the extra space form the "WTF???"
factor. I only once wished I'd remembered to charge the Air Zound,
when Mr Audi 2 decided that because Mr Audi 1 decided it was safe to
cross to the other side of the road to go past roadworks because,
being a cyclist, I am either stationary or of zero width, so it was
also safe for him to do so. But ******* in Audis are a constant, and
I suppose one should not tabulate constants.

I especially enjoyed, after a couple of years of Bromming, the 27
usable gears, albeit with a touch of diplomacy betwixt me and bike
when selecting the outer ends. And oh, the comfort! Apart form the
legs, which reminded me forcefully when ascending a long hill that the
Brom uses subtly different muscles. Breathing is so easy, though,
which is great for an asthmatic.

I will remember to get the illegal bike out more often this summer, I
think! And now, an ice-cream.

Guy

Guy Chapman: Have you ever posted with the nym "Lou Knee"? Was it you
that madethe Lou Knee post calling another poster a "piece of sh1t"?

Why will you not answer such questions, even when they're put to you
by respected posters whose other questions you are happy to answer?

How did you post as Lou Knee when that involved replying to someone
who you've frequently claimed to have "killfiled"? Did you lie about
having killfiled them and others? Why would you do that?

The fact that Lou Knee replied to someone Guy had killfiled does
rather undermine your assertion that they are the same person.

You cannot be for real.

I can see why Chapman pulls the wool over your eyes so easily.

We are accusing Chapman of lying here.

He said that he had put someone in his kill-file and hence didn't see
the post asking if he was Lou Knee.

Has he also got JNugent, Crispin, and Jules in kill-files; they have
all asked him the same question.

Do you actually believe him?

The fact that someone signing themselves as Lou Knee saying that they
were not Chapman means sweet FA.

You are not a full shilling.

--

Passenger casualty rates by mode Per billion passenger kilometers:
Killed or seriously injured:

Which do you think is the most dangerous?

Old June 1st 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.net.news.config
Andy Leighton

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:43:17 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

this is not a forum where one would expect to have to dumb down content
for the benefit of non-cyclists

Why would you expect uk.net.news.config to be full of people who care
about the nuances of various makes of bicycle?

He probably doesn't, which is why the original post was just to
uk.rec.cycling. Judith added the crosspost for a reason fathomable
only to her.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old June 1st 09, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 08:14:17 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 01:37:36 +0100, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

The fact that Lou Knee replied to someone Guy had killfiled does
rather undermine your assertion that they are the same person.

There are several types of kill filter in Agent. Nuxx, judith, nully
and their many invisible friends are on "delete" whereas the perennial
irritants (JNugent, MattB) are on "Mark read".

Ah - are you saying that you did not see JNugent ask if you had posted
as Lou Knee?

Is Crispin in your kill-file?

Is Jules in your kill-file?

They have both asked the same question - did you not see it?

--
Someone calling himself Lou Knee made a post in urc
referring to another poster as "a piece of ****".
Old June 1st 09, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Sun, 31 May 2009 16:19:08 -0700 (PDT), PhilO
wrote:

On May 31, 10:35*pm, jms wrote:
What precisely do you think the point is of starting a thread called
"The pleasures of illegal cycling" ?

It is a reference to a class of cycles which are stupidly strictly not
legal. As you don't have one, you needn't worry about it. Some things
that are of no relevance to you will not be very meaningful - accept
it. Or take the time to find out more and enjoy the best kind of
cycling.
PhilO

Not legal in what sense?

And there was me jumping to the conclusion that he was being
provocative.

--
Someone calling himself Lou Knee made a post in urc
referring to another poster as "a piece of ****".
The post was made from an IP address which had been used in urc over the last 6 years
uniquely by Guy Chapman.
All available evidence points to Lou Knee being a nym shift of Guy Chapman.
A respected poster to URC, JNugent, has categorically asked Guy Chapman if he has ever posted using the name Lou Knee.
Guy Chapman has refused to answer this question.
Conclusion: Guy Chapman and Lou Knee are one and the same despicable person.

Enough room but illegal. Simon Mason UK 97 April 23rd 09 11:25 PM
Illegal iPod While Cycling? DC1999 General 39 August 23rd 06 07:10 AM
Dirty pleasures in Snowy Melbourne Jules Australia 5 August 11th 05 01:23 AM
Simple pleasures BB Mountain Biking 4 May 31st 04 11:12 PM
Is listening to a radio while cycling illegal? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 30 August 30th 03 11:50 AM