LVM's hour attempt

Old October 1st 03, 05:06 PM
Andy Coggan

Default LVM's hour attempt

Cyclingnews reports that she's going for it early this afternoon, local
time. Anybody know of any sites on the web that might provide
updates/reasonably quick information?

Andy Coggan

P.S. In the best Dan Connelly tradition, I calculate that she can't do it.
;-)

Old October 1st 03, 05:24 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
link.net...
Cyclingnews reports that she's going for it early this afternoon, local
time. Anybody know of any sites on the web that might provide
updates/reasonably quick information?

Andy Coggan

P.S. In the best Dan Connelly tradition, I calculate that she can't do it.
;-)

We have this yearly TdF pool. Cumulative GC for top half of team plus time
bonuses for stage results.

There's this Physics PhD that partakes every year. Every year he shows up
with his spreadsheet, with a formula based upon past results. It's rather
sophisticated, but he's always mid-pack. One year he did manage to get 3rd.

I pick based upon what I know about bike racing - never finished worse than
2nd except one year I did get last place. The pool's been going since 1991.
Not trying to brag - just that real-world conditions (like how riders are
going at the moment, obviously) need to be accounted for. Connelly's
calculations in the Nozal over Heras thread is a prime example of this (as is
our Physics PhD dude).

As for LvM and the hour today? I have no clue.

Old October 1st 03, 05:37 PM
Robert Chung

Andy Coggan wrote:
P.S. In the best Dan Connelly tradition, I calculate that she can't do
it. ;-)

Care to make a guess? (Longo's record is 45.094)

Old October 1st 03, 05:49 PM
Jeff Jones

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
link.net...
Cyclingnews reports that she's going for it early this afternoon, local
time. Anybody know of any sites on the web that might provide
updates/reasonably quick information?

Andy Coggan

P.S. In the best Dan Connelly tradition, I calculate that she can't do it.
;-)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=...ct03/oct02news

:-)

Jeff

Old October 1st 03, 05:52 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message . ..

[...]

Well, there we go:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=...ct03/oct02news

Van Moorsel smashes Hour Record

Dutchwoman Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel has demolished the Women's Hour
Record, with a stunning ride of 46.397 kilometres on the track in Mexico
City. The attempt took place at 9:05 am on Wednesday morning local time, in
near perfect conditions: no wind and 17.5 degree temperatures.

Leontien had set herself a schedule whereby she would ride at 46.310 km/h,
which would allow her to comfortably surpass Jeannie Longo's mark of 45.095
kilometres. A crash while warming up delayed her attempt, but she was ready
to ride by 9:00 am, and set off at 9:05 am.

The ride went perfectly according to plan: After 10 minutes she was 275m up
on Jeannie Longo's mark; after 20 minutes she was 384m up; after 30 minutes
she was 525m ahead; after 40 min she was 728m up; after 50 min she was 830m
in front; then she lifted her tempo to eventually finish 1.302 km ahead of
the Frenchwoman.
The triple Olympic gold medalist has devoted virtually her entire year to
this attempt, at an estimated cost of ?150,000. Van Moorsel tried to break
the Hour Record at sea level in Manchester two years ago, but fell well short
of Longo's mark. The Dutch queen of cycling intends to go on for one more
year and represent her country at the Olympics in Athens in order to defend
her titles.

snipend

I expect Bruce Johnston to cream all over his keyboard.

Old October 1st 03, 05:59 PM
Andy Coggan

"Jeff Jones" jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote in message
.be...

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
link.net...
Cyclingnews reports that she's going for it early this afternoon, local
time. Anybody know of any sites on the web that might provide
updates/reasonably quick information?

Andy Coggan

P.S. In the best Dan Connelly tradition, I calculate that she can't do

it.
;-)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=...ct03/oct02news

:-)

I'm claiming partial credit for her success, just like Dan gets credit for
Heras' victory. ;-)

Amazing that she went ~3 km further in Mexico City than she did at
Manchester just a year ago. Either she's really upped her sustainable power,
and/or the time in the wind tunnel paid off, because that difference is
greater than you'd expect due to altitude alone, even in an athlete who is
well-acclimatized.

The queen is dead...long live the new queen!!

Andy Coggan

Old October 1st 03, 06:02 PM
Andy Coggan

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
k.net...

Amazing that she went ~3 km further in Mexico City than she did at
Manchester just a year ago. Either she's really upped her sustainable

power,
and/or the time in the wind tunnel paid off, because that difference is
greater than you'd expect due to altitude alone, even in an athlete who is
well-acclimatized.

Ah-ha! So she apparently relied on the Lance Armstrong approach to increase
her motivation:

"...A crash while warming up delayed her attempt..."

Andy Coggan (still shaking his head in wonderment)

Old October 1st 03, 06:14 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 02:49:18 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=...ct03/oct02news

Her own reactions, from Dutch teletext:

"I never dreamt this possible. I would already have been happy with a
10m improvement, but this is just incredible", says van Moorsel. After
her race, the Rotterdam citizen had to receive extra oxygen for a
while. "You just go so deep. Especially those last 10 minutes you give
everything, having already been at the limit for almost 50 minutes.
After the fall I had my doubts for a while, but I felt that I had to
do it now with these stubby legs and that worked out all right." The
world hour record is a crown on the career of van Moorsel, who won
everything there is in women's cycling. Van Moorsel: "Now for one more
explosion in Athens and then I'm all done!"

http://teletekst.nos.nl/tekst/650-02.html
"Dit had ik nooit durven dromen.Ik
was al blij geweest als ik het met 10
meter verbeterd had,maar dit is echt
ongelooflijk",aldus Van Moorsel.

De Rotterdamse moest na haar race even
aan de zuurstof."Je gaat zo diep.Vooral
die laatste tien minuten geef je alles,
terwijl je dan al bijna 50 minuten lang
tegen de verzuring aanzit.Ik heb na die
val wel even getwijfeld,maar ik vond
dat ik het met deze pootjes moest doen
en dat is gelukt".

Het werelduurrecord is de bekroning van
de carriére van Van Moorsel,die alles
in het dameswielrennen gewonnen heeft.
Van Moorsel:"Nu nog één keer knallen in
Athene en dan zit het er op!"

Old October 1st 03, 06:17 PM
Jeff Jones

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message . ..

Well, there we go:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=...ct03/oct02news

Van Moorsel smashes Hour Record

Dutchwoman Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel has demolished the Women's Hour
Record, with a stunning ride of 46.397 kilometres on the track in Mexico
City. The attempt took place at 9:05 am on Wednesday morning local time,

in
near perfect conditions: no wind and 17.5 degree temperatures.

Correction, and I think this is the final one if I can believe the three
sets of results sent to me: 46.065 km (and 11 centimetres, although I don't
see how they come up with that sort of precision).

Impressive ride nonetheless. I wonder when we'll see the men's record lifted
above 50 km again?

Jeff

Old October 1st 03, 06:39 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:59:52 GMT, Andy Coggan wrote:
Amazing that she went ~3 km further in Mexico City than she did at
Manchester just a year ago. Either she's really upped her sustainable power,
and/or the time in the wind tunnel paid off

Well, 46.065/43.475 - 1 = 6%, just as the wind tunnel guys (5%) + Nike
guys (1%) predicted. Ahem.