I must have Lime juice in my eyes

Old May 2nd 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Default I must have Lime juice in my eyes

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...Lime_full_view

Autoshifting, coaster brake bike. Nice and simple for people who don't
feel compelled to don lycra to go for a leisure ride, and don't care
to complicate things with, say, shifting. Perfectly fine, cute rig.
And with Mother's Day coming up, let's see the MSRP....

$579?! Before taxes and all that jazz? Madre. Guess Mom's keeping ye
olde Schwinn (with a coaster brake and no shifting worries with only
one gear).

My suspicion is that the cost revolves largely around Shimano's
"Coasting" electronic auto-shifting internal hub, which, according to
the below article, is a Nexus with some extra gizmos. (Obviously I'm
behind the curve as this article is almost a year old):

http://bikeportland.org/2006/05/09/s...-group-launch/

/s

Old May 2nd 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Scott Gordo wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...Lime_full_view

That's for ADULTS? Looks like a kiddie bike.

{tale of keeping "Mom" chained to the garden shed snipped}

Old May 2nd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Scott Gordo wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...Lime_full_view

Autoshifting, coaster brake bike. Nice and simple for people who don't
feel compelled to don lycra to go for a leisure ride, and don't care
to complicate things with, say, shifting. Perfectly fine, cute rig.
And with Mother's Day coming up, let's see the MSRP....

$579?! Before taxes and all that jazz? Madre. Guess Mom's keeping ye
olde Schwinn (with a coaster brake and no shifting worries with only
one gear).

My suspicion is that the cost revolves largely around Shimano's
"Coasting" electronic auto-shifting internal hub, which, according to
the below article, is a Nexus with some extra gizmos. (Obviously I'm
behind the curve as this article is almost a year old):

http://bikeportland.org/2006/05/09/s...-group-launch/

Some of that's Trek.

The Raleigh Coasting is green all over (not just accents!), $429.

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...84&childid=621

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 3rd 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Scott Gordo wrote:

Autoshifting, coaster brake bike.

Yo, fats. At some point you need to draw the line. This thing is beyond
that line. Anybody too stupid to know how to shift is too stupid to
live. They don't deserve engineers catering to them.
Old May 3rd 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

A Muzi wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
[...]

OK, that looks like a bike for grown-ups. (Albeit ones with disposable
income

Old May 3rd 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On May 2, 6:50 pm, Paul Cassel
wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
Autoshifting, coaster brake bike.

Yo, fats. At some point you need to draw the line. This thing is beyond
that line. Anybody too stupid to know how to shift is too stupid to
live. They don't deserve engineers catering to them.

If we apply this to things automotive, I do believe the population
problem is solved in much of the world. ;-)

Old May 3rd 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Paul Cassel wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

Autoshifting, coaster brake bike.

Yo, fats. At some point you need to draw the line. This thing is beyond
that line. Anybody too stupid to know how to shift is too stupid to
live. They don't deserve engineers catering to them.

eh? hate to break it to you bud, but automating stuff is a significant
part of what engineers do. ever driven a stick shift car without
synchromesh - you know, where the ratio velocities are automatically
aligned? you need to draw the line on being ignorant of how much /is/
automated.
Old May 3rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Wed, 02 May 2007 20:21:03 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Paul Cassel wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

Autoshifting, coaster brake bike.

Yo, fats. At some point you need to draw the line. This thing is beyond
that line. Anybody too stupid to know how to shift is too stupid to
live. They don't deserve engineers catering to them.

eh? hate to break it to you bud, but automating stuff is a significant
part of what engineers do. ever driven a stick shift car without
synchromesh - you know, where the ratio velocities are automatically
aligned? you need to draw the line on being ignorant of how much /is/
automated.

Not a tremendous amount of intelligence is required to double clutch annd match
speeds.

That said, I do retail repair work and am continually astonished at the
ineptitude of the masses. I've lately become aware that there are actually human
beings walking among us who are too stupid to actually play guitar in a rock
band. Shifting a bike is surely beyond such.

Ron
Old May 4th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Purrrruse
http://www.walmart.com/search/browse...atNavId=133073
rawlee could add sat radio with a loop of wipe out, hey, getchur...
notice the sweep!
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4698934
know what's hot here? Our Mission Is Fun
http://www.islandsportshop.com/Caloi.htm

Old May 4th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On May 4, 8:01 am, " wrote:

snipped

- on 'user friendly' bicycles -

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4698934

IMO, the Schwinn Skyliner can be 'improved' as follows:

*eliminate those extraneous gears. Single chainring, no FD, and a
three to seven speed FW in back, with a simple top-shifter for the
rear.

*eliminate the suspension fork

*raise the price ~$100-150 and sell it through bike shops

Ta-Da! A user-friendly, high-quality bike for everyman!