Rear Wheel Axle Came Out.

Old May 30th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rear Wheel Axle Came Out.

The rear axle (term?) of my bike came out or broke, not sure!

Pics he
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00877el9.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00879qe2.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00882mh2.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00883ef0.jpg

Can this be fixed by putting back in what I have or buying a part, or
would it be best to get a new wheel - it's just from a basic mountain
bike, so I should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

all advice welcome,
thanks in advance!

Old May 30th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
The rear axle (term?) of my bike came out or broke, not sure!

Pics he
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00877el9.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00879qe2.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00882mh2.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00883ef0.jpg

Can this be fixed by putting back in what I have or buying a part, or
would it be best to get a new wheel - it's just from a basic mountain
bike, so I should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

all advice welcome,
thanks in advance!

broken axle.

replace accordingly.
Old May 30th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Pics hehttp://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00883ef0.jpg

Can this be fixed by putting back in what I have or buying a part, or
would it be best to get a new wheel - it's just from a basic mountain
bike, so I should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

all advice welcome,
thanks in advance!

A decent bike shop can see what threading and length and sell ya a new
one.

Old May 30th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

someone writes:

The rear axle (term?) of my bike came out or broke, not sure!

It's in two piwcws and therefore broken,

Pics he http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00877el9.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00879qe2.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00882mh2.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00883ef0.jpg

Can this be fixed by putting back in what I have or buying a part,
or would it be best to get a new wheel - it's just from a basic
mountain bike, so I should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

You can possibly buy a new axle but from your pictures, you need a new
chain and gear cluster as well, the sprocket teeth being severely worn
to a larger chain pitch diameter by a worn out chain.

all advice welcome,

The suggestion in other respones to take the bicycle to a shop,
probably arises form your question, in which you seem to be unfamiliar
with such repairs.

thanks in advance!

"thanks" is enough. It's like those road warnings that add "AHEAD" at
the bottom of "SLIDE AREA" sign. Where else?

Jobst Brandt
Old May 30th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

the complete unit costs about $10: axle/cones/nuts
get new bearings: $2?
add blue or red locktite for the cluster side nuts and cones
measure the length of the original axle and the orginal cluster side
cone's inside edge
you need axle outside the cluster to fit the frame and then axle nut
on, right?
and glue the new cone in the same place on the new axle.
let it set up overnight then reassemble.
castrol marine grease from walmart works good on dirt bikes
examine the inside hubs for wear

Old May 31st 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

read the Parks Tool info

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

Old May 31st 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

On May 31, 6:41 am, wrote:
someone writes:
[...]

Or riders in the bunch that call lights up (for a red), car upp, car
back fine but lights are always up!

Old June 29th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Strange bike teck question.

I suspect somebody has attempted this at some time before, or there
will be someone curious enough to try it that has more parts ready on
hand than I do.

I want to install a rear wheel axle in a bottom bracket for a strange
project I'm working on. I have a 14mm BMX axle and cones, and a
complete bottom bracket (three peice cotterless). I want to put the
cones on the axle backwards to emulate the crank axle, and mount it in
the bottom bracket. The bottom bracket ball set (caged) is too small
for the job. I can go caged or free ball. What size balls do I need,
and what would they be used on? Would like to stay with relatively
normal "bike shop" parts

One of my past projects is at :
http://www.snyder.on.ca/pages/QuadBike.JPG and
http://www.snyder.on.ca/pages/Intermediate%20drive.JPG

another: http://www.snyder.on.ca/pages/pretty%20in%20blue.JPG and
http://www.snyder.on.ca/pages/chain%20tensioner.JPG and
http://www.snyder.on.ca/pages/100_1555.JPG

I've also got a tandem 'bent with a 96" wheelbase on the go

Old June 29th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

I don't think there is an easy solution using those pieces.

If you can find a cartridge bottom bracket that uses standard sealed
bearings you might be able to knock them out and replace them with a
bearing of the same OD and thickness, but with the ID a suitable size to
work with the axle. You might have to visit a bearing supplier rather
than a bicycle store to find them.

Marcus
Old June 29th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 23:59:37 -0400, Marcus Coles
wrote:

I don't think there is an easy solution using those pieces.

If you can find a cartridge bottom bracket that uses standard sealed
bearings you might be able to knock them out and replace them with a
bearing of the same OD and thickness, but with the ID a suitable size to
work with the axle. You might have to visit a bearing supplier rather
than a bicycle store to find them.

Marcus

Went over to see old John at the old neighbourhood bike shop - 11 1/4
inch balls fit almost perfectly. Will be more than adequate for the
job at hand. (loose balls - won't work caged)

rear wheel axle and dish Tony Sweeney Techniques 13 November 24th 06 10:34 PM
shorter axle on rear hub Dan Daniel Techniques 3 September 20th 05 04:18 PM
rear axle set advice k wright Techniques 0 January 7th 05 08:54 PM
Rear axle and spacers DaveB Techniques 4 August 12th 04 05:13 PM
Bullseye rear axle held together how? Brian Plaugher Techniques 1 July 29th 03 02:58 PM