Shimano availability?

Old June 8th 21, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default Shimano availability?

So COVID has shot the groupsets of Shimano. I am not a dura-ace person and I still shift with cables. Are they going to be making or shipping Ultegra or 105 stuff. Maybe it all is dried but and in the end looking for it will never come. I would even go to a disk brake set up if I could find 105 stuff. I have Ultegra now but frankly 105 is just as good.
Deacon mark
Old June 8th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/7/2021 6:11 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
So COVID has shot the groupsets of Shimano. I am not a dura-ace person and I still shift with cables. Are they going to be making or shipping Ultegra or 105 stuff. Maybe it all is dried but and in the end looking for it will never come. I would even go to a disk brake set up if I could find 105 stuff. I have Ultegra now but frankly 105 is just as good.
Deacon mark

Depends on which part. Deliveries are out through December
2021 mostly but some items as soon as September and others
into next year.

There won't be 'on the shelf' for a very long while. As with
bicycles and some tires, backorders are mostly presold by
the time they arrive.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 8th 21, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 16:11:51 -0700 (PDT), Mark cleary
wrote:

So COVID has shot the groupsets of Shimano. I am not a dura-ace person and I still shift with cables. Are they going to be making or shipping Ultegra or 105 stuff. Maybe it all is dried but and in the end looking for it will never come. I would even go to a disk brake set up if I could find 105 stuff. I have Ultegra now but frankly 105 is just as good.
Deacon mark

While you're waiting, you might consider making your own parts (and
selling extra parts to others in your situation). For example:
https://stlbase.com/browse/bicycle+shimano/
https://www.yeggi.com/q/shimano/
Unfortunately, making the stamped steel cassette gears will probably
be too difficult. However, it might be possible to use a water jet
cutter to make the chainrings.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=waterjet+cutter+bicycle+chainrin g

Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+printed+bicycle+parts&tbm=isch

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old June 8th 21, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

A bit more seriously: I've sometimes thought it would be nice to have
access to a CNC mill, to refurbish freewheel cogs. It would keep my
ancient SunTour freewheels going.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 21, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Way back when we used to make gears by machining the gear blank and
then mounting the blank on a "dividing head" and mill the teeth one at
a time.

Cutting teeth for a chain drive system would be simpler as the teeth
would all be the same size regardless of the diameter instead of
varying with the pitch as gear teeth do.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 8th 21, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Is that even possible? Any material removal just reduces
the root diameter, right?

Old June 8th 21, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

A bit more seriously:

Did you perhaps notice the large number of small Shimano components
that are available for downloading or purchase? I may not be very
serious, but others seem to think it might be a good idea.

I've sometimes thought it would be nice to have
access to a CNC mill,

That's also what I thought. So, I volunteered to update the CNC on a
friend's vertical mill:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/CNC-conversion/index.html
It works and has been running for a few years. However, he won't let
me use it because he has it setup to produce some rather profitable
parts for a paying customer. If I tear down the setup to make my
parts, it's quite a project getting the mill setup again to make
paying parts. So, rather than make more efficient and accurate
fixturing, he just leaves it ready for the next paying order. I could
have done better by buying a small bench top mill.

to refurbish freewheel cogs. It would keep my
ancient SunTour freewheels going.

If you're going to go through all that trouble refurbishing gears, you
might as well make new gears from scratch. As long as you're removing
metal, it can all be done on a mill or lathe with an indexing or
dividing head:
https://www.google.com/search?q=indexing+head&tbm=isch
It might be tempting to sell a dividing head specifically drilled for
bicycle gears. Twisting the teeth slightly to make shifting possible
on a huge corn cob freewheel will probably require a fixture and
press, or some kind of stamping machine. I'm not sure if the
resulting gears will require heat treating. Purchasing all the
required equipment seems rather uneconomical, but borrowing the
machine time in a hobbyist or "makers" shop might be worthwhile.

As for refurbishing the teeth on existing gears, that might work even
if the teeth have developed a "hook". Adding metal is possible with a
MIG welder and trimming can be done with most anything that removes
metal, such as a gear tooth cutter, rotary grinder, or round hand
file. There's quite a bit on gear repair on YouTube.

Old June 8th 21, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/8/2021 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2021 10:06 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

A bit more seriously: I've sometimes thought it would be
nice to have access to a CNC mill, to refurbish freewheel
cogs. It would keep my ancient SunTour freewheels going.

Is that even possible?Â* Any material removal just reduces the root
diameter, right?

I don't think so. AFAICT there's no wear at the root diameter. My idea
would be to replicate the profile of a brand new driven surface (the
back side of the tooth) but rotated a couple degrees clockwise. The
result should be a tooth shaped like the original, but not as wide
circumferentially - if that makes sense.

BTW, I'm not claiming this makes practical sense. My SunTour freewheel
board has dozens of cogs (but not some favorites), and other freewheels
are still available.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 21, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:59:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/8/2021 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2021 10:06 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

A bit more seriously: I've sometimes thought it would be
nice to have access to a CNC mill, to refurbish freewheel
cogs. It would keep my ancient SunTour freewheels going.

Is that even possible?* Any material removal just reduces the root
diameter, right?

I don't think so. AFAICT there's no wear at the root diameter. My idea
would be to replicate the profile of a brand new driven surface (the
back side of the tooth) but rotated a couple degrees clockwise. The
result should be a tooth shaped like the original, but not as wide
circumferentially - if that makes sense.

I don't think it will work. By narrowing the tooth and retaining the
original profile, you widen the slot width making it flat instead of
rounded to fit the chain rollers. If you cutting radially into the
slot between teeth, you'll weaken the gear. As long as the chain is
taught, your idea will work. However, when chain tension is released,
there's nothing keep the roller centered between two adjacent teeth.
My guess(tm) is the chain will slide forwards and backwards, miss gear
changes, or do something undesirable.

BTW, I'm not claiming this makes practical sense. My SunTour freewheel
board has dozens of cogs (but not some favorites), and other freewheels
are still available.

Yep. We've successfully transitioned from a very practical "safety"
bicycle, through various levels of absurdity, and are now working on
the ridiculous. Welcome to my world.

Old June 8th 21, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

You beat me to it Andy. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read Frank's post. What good would a mill do you since it removes material. Grinds steel away. With cassette or freewheel cogs, the chain has ground off metal through use. So how would a mill grinding more material off help anything. Unless you were going to use the mill to grind, make, all new freewheel cogs and then disassemble and reassemble the freewheel. But I think you are getting close to the cure cancer and end hunger and peace in the world category at that point. I've heard freewheels are not something human beings disassemble and repair the internals. At least not sane ones.