A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How Many LiveStrong Bracelets were Sold?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 13th 05, 10:31 PM
El Williams
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default How Many LiveStrong Bracelets were Sold?

Good interview on Oprah... I have looked around the web, but to no avail.
Does anyone know how many LiveStrong bracelets were sold on Friday. It
seems that it might be pretty good as LAF website on Friday was having
challenges keeping up.


Ads
  #2  
Old February 14th 05, 02:38 AM
Maggie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


El Williams wrote:
Good interview on Oprah... I have looked around the web, but to no

avail.
Does anyone know how many LiveStrong bracelets were sold on Friday.

It
seems that it might be pretty good as LAF website on Friday was

having
challenges keeping up.



Right now you cannot buy any. You have to sign up on the web to
receive information as to when they will go on sale again. They might
be back on sale again.

http://www.laf-store.org/

All Good Things.
Maggie

  #3  
Old February 14th 05, 12:24 PM
Tim McTeague
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"El Williams" wrote in message
...
Good interview on Oprah... I have looked around the web, but to no avail.
Does anyone know how many LiveStrong bracelets were sold on Friday. It
seems that it might be pretty good as LAF website on Friday was having
challenges keeping up.



There was an interview? I watched the whole show and seemed to have missed
that part. Why in the world do people, at least those not blessed by a
lobotomy, watch this program? This sort of stuff gives fluff a bad name.
And Lance's mother loves Oprah? Hmm, well maybe she is not the sharpest
knife in the drawer. I remember Oprah's early days here in Baltimore and I
could not stand her then. Now she has lighter skin, straighter hair and a
ton more money but still no substance. Unless you consider constant weight
gain and loss substance. Not that I really thought the show would get into
EPO or Lemond but...damn! I understand the "after" show broadcast on the
Oxygen network and Crow spilling the beans about the being Lance's last
season. At least that was posted earlier but I have no verification. As
for "Live Strong" bracelets, just send money to some cancer foundation and
don't follow the other Lemmings. Why didn't Oprah buy a million herself.
Oh yeah, the car stunt cost her nothing, the cars were given to the show as
payment for what amounted to a big ad. She sort of failed to mention that
she gave away nothing and really just turned her show into an auto
commercial.

Tim McTeague


  #4  
Old February 14th 05, 09:37 PM
Maggie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Tim McTeague wrote:
"El Williams" wrote in message
...
Good interview on Oprah... I have looked around the web, but to no

avail.
Does anyone know how many LiveStrong bracelets were sold on Friday.

It
seems that it might be pretty good as LAF website on Friday was

having
challenges keeping up.



There was an interview? I watched the whole show and seemed to have

missed
that part. Why in the world do people, at least those not blessed by

a
lobotomy, watch this program? This sort of stuff gives fluff a bad

name.
And Lance's mother loves Oprah? Hmm, well maybe she is not the

sharpest
knife in the drawer. I remember Oprah's early days here in Baltimore

and I
could not stand her then. Now she has lighter skin, straighter hair

and a
ton more money but still no substance. Unless you consider constant

weight
gain and loss substance. Not that I really thought the show would

get into
EPO or Lemond but...damn! I understand the "after" show broadcast on

the
Oxygen network and Crow spilling the beans about the being Lance's

last
season. At least that was posted earlier but I have no verification.

As
for "Live Strong" bracelets, just send money to some cancer

foundation and
don't follow the other Lemmings. Why didn't Oprah buy a million

herself.
Oh yeah, the car stunt cost her nothing, the cars were given to the

show as
payment for what amounted to a big ad. She sort of failed to mention

that
she gave away nothing and really just turned her show into an auto
commercial.

Tim McTeague


Why are you being so mean to Oprah. Are you a male Chauvinist oink,
who can't stand to see a woman rise to a position of POWER....Well she
did it baby, and no one can take it away from her. She never had an
easy life. Now, she has it all. And she is a great woman. That's my
take on it.

What do you think of Martha Stewart and Hilary Clinton. I can only
imagine. I guess I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer either,
because I consider her a strong, capable, intelligent, survivor who has
risen above all the sorrow in her past to become one of the most
powerful women in the entertainment industry. JEALOUS???????

Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half
as good. Luckily this is not difficult.
Charlotte Whitton, Canada Month, June 1963

All Good Things,
Maggie

  #5  
Old February 15th 05, 12:09 AM
Gooserider
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Tim McTeague" wrote in message
...

"El Williams" wrote in message
...
Good interview on Oprah... I have looked around the web, but to no

avail.
Does anyone know how many LiveStrong bracelets were sold on Friday. It
seems that it might be pretty good as LAF website on Friday was having
challenges keeping up.



There was an interview?


No. It was a PR appearance. If you're expecting serious journalism from
Oprah, you're looking in the wrong place. No need to be a jerk about it.


  #6  
Old February 15th 05, 01:30 AM
Tim McTeague
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...


Why are you being so mean to Oprah. Are you a male Chauvinist oink,
who can't stand to see a woman rise to a position of POWER....Well she
did it baby, and no one can take it away from her. She never had an
easy life. Now, she has it all. And she is a great woman. That's my
take on it.


Maggie


Typical, as soon as you criticize the mighty Oprah you are a male oppressor.
Lots of woman made it big and earned my respect, not that they need it.
Oprah is pure fluff, the books hawked in her club lack substance and she
panders to the touchy-feely side of woman that guys like me just don't
understand. I feel the same way about Madonna for similar reasons. She too
lacks any real talent except how to market herself. Sure they are rich and
may be great business people but I don't respect the cigarette companies
either. Great business plan, lousy product. What exactly is "Great" about
her? Somehow I don't agree with the common person's concept that being on
TV is the ultimate accomplishment. I think Martha is a small step above
Oprah but Hilary is in a different league. I actually respect her even if I
don't always agree with her. I am never put off by strong woman and even
find it attractive. However, the folks that just adore Oprah leave me cold.
Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I please find
her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague


  #7  
Old February 15th 05, 02:42 PM
Maggie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Tim McTeague wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...


Why are you being so mean to Oprah. Are you a male Chauvinist

oink,
who can't stand to see a woman rise to a position of POWER....Well

she
did it baby, and no one can take it away from her. She never had an
easy life. Now, she has it all. And she is a great woman. That's

my
take on it.


Maggie


Typical, as soon as you criticize the mighty Oprah you are a male

oppressor.
Lots of woman made it big and earned my respect, not that they need

it.
Oprah is pure fluff, the books hawked in her club lack substance and

she
panders to the touchy-feely side of woman that guys like me just

don't
understand. I feel the same way about Madonna for similar reasons.

She too
lacks any real talent except how to market herself. Sure they are

rich and
may be great business people but I don't respect the cigarette

companies
either. Great business plan, lousy product. What exactly is "Great"

about
her? Somehow I don't agree with the common person's concept that

being on
TV is the ultimate accomplishment. I think Martha is a small step

above
Oprah but Hilary is in a different league. I actually respect her

even if I
don't always agree with her. I am never put off by strong woman and

even
find it attractive. However, the folks that just adore Oprah leave

me cold.
Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I

please find
her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague


Ok, I can't let this go even if it is off topic. Have me arrested. I'm
off topic. Hang me upside down in the town square and stone me. I have
to defend a good person. Maybe she rides a bike. Who knows.

Mr. Tim,
I can't believe some of the ridiculous statements made in your post.
You sound as if you are trying to be viewed as an itellectual and in
doing so, you show your ignorance. You say, she "hawks" books. "She
encourages reading."

Oprah Winfrey was named one of the 100 Most Influential People of the
20th Century by Time Magazine, and in 1998 received a Lifetime
Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and
Sciences.

Her influence in encouraging people to read began when she started her
on-air book club. She was presented with the National Book
Foundation's 50th anniversary gold medal for her service to books and
authors.

My son hated reading as a child. He had a very smart teacher who found
books for him on topics that interested him. He did not push required
reading down his throat. His goal was to help him enjoy reading. He
accomplished that with this method. This is what Oprah is doing. She
is encouraging people to read. Is that such a bad thing? Just because
its not War and Peace, doesn't mean its not worth reading.

The reason Oprah was voted one of the nicest people of the 20th century
was because she has the ability to relate to all people. She lived
through alot and brought herself to the top. How can anyone find this
woman odious. That is a mighty strong word. She has been an
inspiration to so many of us. In my opinion the only thing odious was
your post. OK, I vented. I'm finished. I'll go ride my bike. Its going
to be 50 degrees today in Jersey. Maybe when I return I will read a
fluff book without any substance. AND I WILL DAMN WELL ENJOY DOING IT.
As I put my emotions over my intellect and my olive in my martini.
All Good Things,
Maggie

  #8  
Old February 15th 05, 04:43 PM
psycholist
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Oprah is the high-priestess of heresy. She preaches her own religion and
has millions of followers.

And as an interviewer, she SUCKS! That was AWFUL. She wouldn't shut her
mouth long enough to let Lance even get out one sentence answers to her
questions. And she stepped on those! It was ridiculous.

I work from home and my wife has the TV on constantly. I've seen her try to
watch Oprah a number of times because she was interested in a topic or a
person that was going to be on. She always ends up turning it off in
disgust because of Oprah's self-promotion, her twisted lifestyle preaching
or her just plain lousy "interview" style.

But obviously this viewpoint is in the minority. There's no accounting for
the tastes of desperate housewives on prescription drugs I suppose. ;-)

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tim McTeague wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...


Why are you being so mean to Oprah. Are you a male Chauvinist

oink,
who can't stand to see a woman rise to a position of POWER....Well

she
did it baby, and no one can take it away from her. She never had an
easy life. Now, she has it all. And she is a great woman. That's

my
take on it.


Maggie


Typical, as soon as you criticize the mighty Oprah you are a male

oppressor.
Lots of woman made it big and earned my respect, not that they need

it.
Oprah is pure fluff, the books hawked in her club lack substance and

she
panders to the touchy-feely side of woman that guys like me just

don't
understand. I feel the same way about Madonna for similar reasons.

She too
lacks any real talent except how to market herself. Sure they are

rich and
may be great business people but I don't respect the cigarette

companies
either. Great business plan, lousy product. What exactly is "Great"

about
her? Somehow I don't agree with the common person's concept that

being on
TV is the ultimate accomplishment. I think Martha is a small step

above
Oprah but Hilary is in a different league. I actually respect her

even if I
don't always agree with her. I am never put off by strong woman and

even
find it attractive. However, the folks that just adore Oprah leave

me cold.
Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I

please find
her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague


Ok, I can't let this go even if it is off topic. Have me arrested. I'm
off topic. Hang me upside down in the town square and stone me. I have
to defend a good person. Maybe she rides a bike. Who knows.

Mr. Tim,
I can't believe some of the ridiculous statements made in your post.
You sound as if you are trying to be viewed as an itellectual and in
doing so, you show your ignorance. You say, she "hawks" books. "She
encourages reading."

Oprah Winfrey was named one of the 100 Most Influential People of the
20th Century by Time Magazine, and in 1998 received a Lifetime
Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and
Sciences.

Her influence in encouraging people to read began when she started her
on-air book club. She was presented with the National Book
Foundation's 50th anniversary gold medal for her service to books and
authors.

My son hated reading as a child. He had a very smart teacher who found
books for him on topics that interested him. He did not push required
reading down his throat. His goal was to help him enjoy reading. He
accomplished that with this method. This is what Oprah is doing. She
is encouraging people to read. Is that such a bad thing? Just because
its not War and Peace, doesn't mean its not worth reading.

The reason Oprah was voted one of the nicest people of the 20th century
was because she has the ability to relate to all people. She lived
through alot and brought herself to the top. How can anyone find this
woman odious. That is a mighty strong word. She has been an
inspiration to so many of us. In my opinion the only thing odious was
your post. OK, I vented. I'm finished. I'll go ride my bike. Its going
to be 50 degrees today in Jersey. Maybe when I return I will read a
fluff book without any substance. AND I WILL DAMN WELL ENJOY DOING IT.
As I put my emotions over my intellect and my olive in my martini.
All Good Things,
Maggie



  #9  
Old February 15th 05, 04:57 PM
Maggie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


psycholist wrote:
Oprah is the high-priestess of heresy. She preaches her own religion

and
has millions of followers.

And as an interviewer, she SUCKS! That was AWFUL. She wouldn't shut

her
mouth long enough to let Lance even get out one sentence answers to

her
questions. And she stepped on those! It was ridiculous.

I work from home and my wife has the TV on constantly. I've seen her

try to
watch Oprah a number of times because she was interested in a topic

or a
person that was going to be on. She always ends up turning it off in


disgust because of Oprah's self-promotion, her twisted lifestyle

preaching
or her just plain lousy "interview" style.

But obviously this viewpoint is in the minority. There's no

accounting for
the tastes of desperate housewives on prescription drugs I suppose.

;-)

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tim McTeague wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...


Why are you being so mean to Oprah. Are you a male Chauvinist

oink,
who can't stand to see a woman rise to a position of

POWER....Well
she
did it baby, and no one can take it away from her. She never had

an
easy life. Now, she has it all. And she is a great woman.

That's
my
take on it.

Maggie


Typical, as soon as you criticize the mighty Oprah you are a male

oppressor.
Lots of woman made it big and earned my respect, not that they

need
it.
Oprah is pure fluff, the books hawked in her club lack substance

and
she
panders to the touchy-feely side of woman that guys like me just

don't
understand. I feel the same way about Madonna for similar

reasons.
She too
lacks any real talent except how to market herself. Sure they are

rich and
may be great business people but I don't respect the cigarette

companies
either. Great business plan, lousy product. What exactly is

"Great"
about
her? Somehow I don't agree with the common person's concept that

being on
TV is the ultimate accomplishment. I think Martha is a small step

above
Oprah but Hilary is in a different league. I actually respect her

even if I
don't always agree with her. I am never put off by strong woman

and
even
find it attractive. However, the folks that just adore Oprah

leave
me cold.
Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I

please find
her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague


Ok, I can't let this go even if it is off topic. Have me arrested.

I'm
off topic. Hang me upside down in the town square and stone me. I

have
to defend a good person. Maybe she rides a bike. Who knows.

Mr. Tim,
I can't believe some of the ridiculous statements made in your

post.
You sound as if you are trying to be viewed as an itellectual and

in
doing so, you show your ignorance. You say, she "hawks" books.

"She
encourages reading."

Oprah Winfrey was named one of the 100 Most Influential People of

the
20th Century by Time Magazine, and in 1998 received a Lifetime
Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and
Sciences.

Her influence in encouraging people to read began when she started

her
on-air book club. She was presented with the National Book
Foundation's 50th anniversary gold medal for her service to books

and
authors.

My son hated reading as a child. He had a very smart teacher who

found
books for him on topics that interested him. He did not push

required
reading down his throat. His goal was to help him enjoy reading. He
accomplished that with this method. This is what Oprah is doing.

She
is encouraging people to read. Is that such a bad thing? Just

because
its not War and Peace, doesn't mean its not worth reading.

The reason Oprah was voted one of the nicest people of the 20th

century
was because she has the ability to relate to all people. She lived
through alot and brought herself to the top. How can anyone find

this
woman odious. That is a mighty strong word. She has been an
inspiration to so many of us. In my opinion the only thing odious

was
your post. OK, I vented. I'm finished. I'll go ride my bike. Its

going
to be 50 degrees today in Jersey. Maybe when I return I will read a
fluff book without any substance. AND I WILL DAMN WELL ENJOY DOING

IT.
As I put my emotions over my intellect and my olive in my martini.
All Good Things,
Maggie


I take offense here, when you say.....There's no accounting for
the tastes of desperate housewives on prescription drugs I suppose. ;-)
Now give me a valium and get out of the way of the TV.
All Good Things,
Maggie

  #10  
Old February 16th 05, 12:15 AM
Tim McTeague
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Maggie" wrote in message

Ok, I can't let this go even if it is off topic. Have me arrested. I'm
off topic. Hang me upside down in the town square and stone me. I have
to defend a good person. Maybe she rides a bike. Who knows.

Mr. Tim,
I can't believe some of the ridiculous statements made in your post.
You sound as if you are trying to be viewed as an itellectual and in
doing so, you show your ignorance. You say, she "hawks" books. "She
encourages reading."

Oprah Winfrey was named one of the 100 Most Influential People of the
20th Century by Time Magazine, and in 1998 received a Lifetime
Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and
Sciences.

Her influence in encouraging people to read began when she started her
on-air book club. She was presented with the National Book
Foundation's 50th anniversary gold medal for her service to books and
authors.

My son hated reading as a child. He had a very smart teacher who found
books for him on topics that interested him. He did not push required
reading down his throat. His goal was to help him enjoy reading. He
accomplished that with this method. This is what Oprah is doing. She
is encouraging people to read. Is that such a bad thing? Just because
its not War and Peace, doesn't mean its not worth reading.

The reason Oprah was voted one of the nicest people of the 20th century
was because she has the ability to relate to all people. She lived
through alot and brought herself to the top. How can anyone find this
woman odious. That is a mighty strong word. She has been an
inspiration to so many of us. In my opinion the only thing odious was
your post. OK, I vented. I'm finished. I'll go ride my bike. Its going
to be 50 degrees today in Jersey. Maybe when I return I will read a
fluff book without any substance. AND I WILL DAMN WELL ENJOY DOING IT.
As I put my emotions over my intellect and my olive in my martini.
All Good Things,
Maggie


None of this sways me. You like her, great, just don't make her into a hero
because she is a TV star. Time magazine thinks she is great. Wow, maybe
that would have meant something 20 odd years ago when it was a real news
magazine. She gets people to read, that is fine too as far as it goes but,
does she devote her time in the inner city helping the underprivileged or
merely draw attention to the latest feel good tripe? She helps the sales of
the books on her list but I suspect that lots of people buy the books but
never make it all the way through one. Again, I have no real problem with
her doing any of this. It is the behavior of her "followers" trying to make
her into some kind of hero that gets me. She is what she always has been, a
local TV host who has gone as far as the medium will allow. I almost never
watch news programs on TV, I listen to NPR along with the rest of the false
intellectuals and read a newspaper or two, and never touch the local
stations news as the constant grinning and pretending to be my best friends
is too much to take. Inane banter seems to be the order of the day. This
was the first episode of Oprah I ever watched all the way through and most
likely the last. As with Martha Stewart, you don't have to watch their
programs to be aware of what they do. Oprah is the queen of self
improvement but only the surface kind. Neither of us are going to have our
opinions changed so we should try and stick to bikes. Now why didn't she
give, or have Trek give, bikes to everybody in the audience? I would have
given her a point or two for that. Who knows, maybe one or two people would
have actually ridden them. Then the world would indeed be a little better.

Tim


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hospitals Cover Up LiveStrong Bracelets Bruce Edge Mountain Biking 1 December 10th 04 10:01 PM
off topic : LIVESTRONG bracelet m General 1 October 11th 04 06:32 PM
Lance Armstrong's yellow bracelets take off, boosting Nike Jason Spaceman Racing 0 September 27th 04 02:29 AM
LiveStrong bracelets available Ronaldo Jeremiah Racing 25 August 17th 04 09:18 PM
Livestrong, I've ordered mine. Callistus Valerius Racing 24 July 24th 04 08:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.