Unlawful Detention

Old July 21st 11, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Default Unlawful Detention

On Jul 21, 10:45*pm, Nuxx Bar wrote:
On 21/07/2011 19:03, Simon Mason wrote:

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. *It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

My carbon bike has the same problem.
I'll made a video to show you what to do.
Keep out a watch for it.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to see the video of your eight RLJing motorists,
which I know others have also been keenly requesting.

Good luck with the cycling, BTW.

I've always been an occasional cyclist. *I know it suits some people's
agendas to deny that people like Judith and me could possibly ever cycle
simply because of the opinions we hold.

Are you enjoying it?

Not really. *I'm afraid I don't really "get" the appeal of cycling,

Too slow for you.
Old July 21st 11, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar[_3_]

On 21/07/2011 23:07, Judith wrote:
On 21 Jul 2011 20:47:57 GMT, "Paul - xxx" wrote:

Judith wrote:

On 21 Jul 2011 18:06:43 GMT, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

Nuxx Bar wrote:

Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights
which was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed
red, for a good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and
activated the lights and they mercifully went green at last.

According to one of the more knowledgeable and respected posters in
this group, I was unlawfully detained by the council for that 3
minutes.

I can't remember anyone saying that at all, perhaps you have a link
to prove it ...

If Traffic Lights are not working, then you can telephone the police
for permission to procede.
If this is not forthcoming, then you can reports it as "unlawful
detention". (Anchor Lee)

So you say ... I've never heard of it, or heard anyone 'here' suggest
it in the manner Nuxx suggested.

Phil ****** Lee has previously said: "If Traffic Lights are not working, then
you can telephone the police for permission to procede. If this is not
forthcoming, then you can reports it as "unlawful detention".

It is of course - like most legal matters he pronounces on - absolute ********.

Yes, I thought as much. It did tickle me though, hence this topic. I
forgot about putting in the "phoning the police for permission" bit
unfortunately.

I believe that Nuxx Bar may have been taking the **** - but I could be wrong.

You're entirely correct of course. Do you perchance have a Google
Groups link to the thread containing the "offending" Phil Knee post? I
know he X-No-Archives everything, but perhaps there's a reply or two
quoting it (since it's too barking to have been ignored!)
Old July 21st 11, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar[_3_]

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

My carbon bike has the same problem.
I'll made a video to show you what to do.
Keep out a watch for it.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to see the video of your eight RLJing motorists,
which I know others have also been keenly requesting.

Good luck with the cycling, BTW.

I've always been an occasional cyclist. I know it suits some people's
agendas to deny that people like Judith and me could possibly ever cycle
simply because of the opinions we hold.

Are you enjoying it?

Not really. I'm afraid I don't really "get" the appeal of cycling,

Too slow for you.

Yes, that's right, just because I oppose speed limits being set far too
low and then rigidly enforced for no safety gain, I'm some kind of
nutter speed freak.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

(There, a nice short post for you since you're unable to read more than
a few lines. I'm sure you know really what a cnut Chapman is by now
anyway.)

From: Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Traffic Light Detectors
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 02:45:24 +0000
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......

nobby considered Wed, 04 Feb 2009 00:12:28 +0000 the
perfect time to write:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:25:30 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:36:09 +0000, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk said in
:

BTW, I've just thought of a method that works for any vehicle - call
the police on your cellphone, report the problem, and get clearance to
proceed.

Ha! I like that. And if it happens often enough they will be sure
to pressure the council to fix the problem :-)

Guy

Do you really think that the police will give you permission to
proceed?

If it doesn't, you can report it as "Unlawful detention"

Pure Gold

Old July 22nd 11, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 21, 10:45*pm, Nuxx Bar wrote:

Not really. *I'm afraid I don't really "get" the appeal of cycling, like
most apparently. *I'm vaguely thinking of getting an e-bike though,
which would probably annoy some of the "purists" round here. *It would
be a useful way of getting through towns/cities, circumventing anti-car
measures while still not having to provide all the power yourself and
therefore turning up as a sweatball.

There is no VED to pay and you can have a couple of pints and not risk
your licence.

--
Simon Mason
Old July 22nd 11, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 21/07/2011 19:00, Nuxx Bar wrote:
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

According to one of the more knowledgeable and respected posters in this
group, I was unlawfully detained by the council for that 3 minutes. How
do I go about reporting this very serious crime? Presumably the person
who falsely detained me can expect jail (a taste of his/her own
medicine), and I will be in line for compensation?

Did you have a compo cam?

When I think about what I could have done with that wasted 3 minutes of
my life, and what a changed man I was when I emerged from the dank,
hellish prison which was my adopted home for all that time, I firmly
believe that I will never be the same again after that horrific,
nightmarish and neverending experience (which I wouldn't wish upon my
worst enemy). Please, denizens of URC, help me, a poor, persecuted
cyclist, the likes of whom is regularly discussed and sympathised with
in this newsgroup, obtain adequate redress for the wicked and terrible
injustice which has been so callously inflicted upon me.

I'll be a witness, just tell me what to say.

University
Old July 22nd 11, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

My carbon bike has the same problem.
I'll made a video to show you what to do.

Be still my beating heart.....

University
Old July 22nd 11, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

"Nuxx wrote in message
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

My carbon bike has the same problem.
I'll made a video to show you what to do.
Keep out a watch for it.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to see the video of your eight RLJing motorists,
which I know others have also been keenly requesting.

I wondered where that had gone.

University
Old July 22nd 11, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

My carbon bike has the same problem.
I'll made a video to show you what to do.
Keep out a watch for it.

Supersonic ****ing great whoosh.

University
Old July 22nd 11, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 22/07/2011 19:02, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

[...]

That doesn't work unless he "finds" you on the internet and you can suddenly
remember being there and seeing it all happenb but didn't think it worth
offereing to be a witness at the time.