A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Andre Jute asks: "Who says global warming is settled scienceagreed to by 97% of scientists?"

Old November 27th 15, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Andre Jute asks: "Who says global warming is settled scienceagreed to by 97% of scientists?"

UPDATED with specifics and examples:

ORIGIN OF THE 97% LIE OF GLOBAL WARMING
Andre Jute explains where this misrepresentation originated

That "the science is settled, and 97% of scientists believe in manmade global warming" is an article of faith of the thicker global warmies and the more doctrinaire pols, and greedy manipulators like Fat Al Gore who has made his billion from the global warming scare.

99.999999% of those who make this foolish statement cannot name the statistical study their claim is based on, and of the few who can name Margaret Zimmerman as the author of the study, 99 out of every 100 have never read it, or they would know it is as crooked as the rest of the statistics behind Michael Mann's hockey stick, on which the whole global warming church wobbles like an upside down pyramid of jelly.

This is it, the founding scroll of the "97% consensus":

MSc thesis, University of Illinois, 2008:
M Zimmerman, The consensus of the consensus
http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-r-k-zimme...-17391505.html

Zimmerman's "survey" was a two-question, online questionnaire sent to 10,257 earth scientists, of whom 3,146 responded.

Of the 3146 scientists, 96.2 per cent came from North America. 6.2 per cent came from Canada.

So the United States is overrepresented even within that North American sample.

9% of US respondents came from California.

California is overrepresented within the US sample.

In addition California has over twice as large a share of the sample as Europe, Asia, Australia, the Pacific, Latin America and Africa combined.

Of the 10% non-US respondents, Canada has 62 per cent.

What sort of a distorted sample is this?

Before you conclude that North American scientists, even when carefully preselected for assumed complaisance, are uniquely and particularly stupid, let's examine the questions Zimmerman asked them.

Zimmerman carefully crafted two questions to which most earth scientists would answer "yes", including most prominent climate change skeptics.

It's a fit-up job. See for yourself:

Zimmerman's first question was, "When compared with pre-1800s levels, do you think that mean global temperatures have generally risen, fallen, or remained relatively constant?"

As a disgusted reader of her thesis said, rating it one star out of five, said "Q1 is worthless for distinguishing climate alarmists from climate skeptics. 'Pre-1800s' was the middle of the Little Ice Age, and it is obviously warmer now than it was then. But nearly all of the human contribution to atmospheric GHG levels has occurred since the 1940s, so this question has nothing to do with anthropogenic climate change. Even most prominent climate change skeptics would answer 'risen' to this question."

Oops. Let's see whether Zimmerman's other question holds any more water: "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?"

Oh dear. Another, loaded question of the "Have you stopped beating your wife yet" school of statistics. The same disgusted reader of Zimmerman's theses tells us why this question is misleading: "Q2 is just as bad. Since aerosols from smoke clearly cause cooling (a fact which was one of the main causes for the 1970s ice age scare), few people would doubt that human activity can change temperatures, so even most of those who doubt that anthropogenic CO2 and CH4 cause worrisome global warming would have to answer 'yes' to Q2."

The reader concludes, as anyone with experience of tendentious statistics would, as I do too: "Zimmerman could have asked [for] a meaningful answer about anthropogenic climate change, but chose not to do so."

To add insult to injury, she then selected 79 (that's right, seventy-nine) of her sample and declared them "experts", though later she excluded two more. In the event only 75 out of 77 made it through to the final round.

97.4 per cent of 75 "experts" in an extremely biased "sample" were found to agree with "the consensus" because they were asked loaded questions.

The 75 respondents -- count 'em, seventy-five --carefully pre-selected for compliance with questions loaded just to make sure, still revolted. Two respondents didn't give the expected answer!

This is a very Michael Mann "reconstruction": just as a couple of Californian bristlecones can determine the climate for a millennium, so a half-dozen Californian scientists can determine the consensus of the world.

Amazing what you can do with statistics!

There's more to this revolt that isn't normally reported by the global warmies, probably because they get their facts from Apocalypse TV rather than by reading scientific papers.

Zimmerman invited comments from these selected and presumably disciplined respondents.

Mann's hockey stick attracted three comments - one blandly positive, the other two damning:

1. "I will note that Mann's "hockey stick curve" has been demonstrated to be incorrect."

2. "The "hockey stick" graph that the IPCC so touted has, it is my understanding, been debunked as junk science. While they've never admitted this to be so, it's my understanding that the graph has disappeared from IPCC publications."

So, 67 per cent consensus from The consensus on the consensus that Mann's stick is "incorrect" "junk"?

But without the hockey schtick there is no global warming!

Even more that will not make the global warmie faithful happy, and is thus never mentioned:

Zimmerman, despite "shaping" the questions and the statistics to toe the global warmie party line (presumably because otherwise she would not have got her masters), was herself not convinced of global warming by such carefully shoddy numbers. In her own words:

"This entire process has been an exercise in re-educating myself about the climate debate and, in the process, I can honestly say that I have heard very convincing arguments from all the different sides, and I think I'm actually more neutral on the issue now than I was before I started this project. There is so much gray area when you begin to mix science and politics, environmental issues and social issues, calculated rational thinking with emotions, etc." -- M Zimmerman.

Of course Zimmerman's conclusion and opinion from her study (it's in the appendix to her thesis) is never quoted by the global warmies.

All of the smoke of "consensus" was blown by others; Zimmerman, the author of the study they quoted (and didn't read!) knew better.

There is an amusing analysis of this material in Mark Steyn's "A Disgrace to the Profession", a highly recommended bestseller which quotes scientists all round the world being scathingly dismissive of global warming, the hockey stick and Michael Mann, and which proves conclusively that there isn't now and never was any consensus about manmade global warming.

No consensus, period.

The so-called consensus, of course, is merely more poor quality statistical smoke blown by the global warmies. It is designed to avoid the question of whether scientific consensus shouldn't be called by its proper name: pressure group politics, in this case by scientists who want the rich pickings of grants and the glow of a "moral" justification to indulge their urge for bullying everyone else. The so-called consensus is scientism at its most brutal and offensive, and totally unacceptable.

Scientism is the doctrine that scientists are superior beings who shouldn't be questioned by mere mortals. In the case of global warming, the global warmie spear carriers reinforce this objectionable doctrine (and obvious lie) with the additional lie of the "consensus of scientists".

The very concept of consensus is unscientific and anti-scientific. Science doesn't take a vote, it iterates experiments. Consensus belongs to politics, not science. It takes just one scientist to be right.

The global warmies either lie, or are gullibly taken in by the lies of their high priests. Either way, they have no right to speak of "science", or even of "consensus".

One of the warmies' most fundamental claims, that "97% of scientists agree that global warming is dangerous and manmade" is a perfect example of the poor quality of their lies.

The socalled "consensus" is just another gross lie by the global warmies.

Quad erat demonstrandum.

Copyright (c) 2009, 2015 Andre Jute
Ads
Old November 28th 15, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Andre Jute asks: "Who says global warming is settled scienceagreed to by 97% of scientists?"

Global worry warts discussed the problem in the 1920's....but this is a rumour. I haven't read a first order report. Almost 100 years ago.

I placed 2nd in the 8th grade science fair with the idea sprung from a 1930-40's edition of Compton's Encyclopedia. Comptons was a large dictionary sized one all info book. The center piece was a bowl full of coal and ammonia growing deathly colored chemical fungi...1960.

So by 1960 a large mob had formed.

I'm looking at phytoplankton. Plankton produces 02.

news today is plankton increases so far with the CO2 rise.

the skin on an apple is the thickness of our atmosphere.

Old November 28th 15, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Yah, that affair on Facebook blew up, at exactly the wrong time because I'm ferociously busy, when I posted this link
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/2...caused-hitler/
under the ironic headline "Global warming caused Hitler and Mussolini" and on hand of some discussion added that:

"In 1941 eugenics was still respectable "science" in America from the White House down, and in England too, all the way into the Cabinet Room. (I imagine it stood then where Global Warming stood c 2003, before everyone caught on it was a vicious and expensive fraud.) It was only later, when it turned out Hitler killed white people, that eugenics got a bad odor. Many of those now beatified by the left were serious eugenicists, though you can look hard in their modern bowlerized biographies and find no mention of it, or only limp evasions. "Racist" as a pejorative condemnation is an anachronism when talking about 1941."

I don't see why this should outrage the global warmies, but it ****ed off this one, that's for sure.

Andre Jute
To the devil with all the hysterics, apocalyptics and catastrophe-creators lurking

PS When I was a kid, I had a 1911 Britannica. Also a single volume illustrated book of science I won as a select-it-yourself prize at school; the headmaster took it away after I blew up a wing of the school.

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 1:42:22 AM UTC, wrote:
Global worry warts discussed the problem in the 1920's....but this is a rumour. I haven't read a first order report. Almost 100 years ago.

I placed 2nd in the 8th grade science fair with the idea sprung from a 1930-40's edition of Compton's Encyclopedia. Comptons was a large dictionary sized one all info book. The center piece was a bowl full of coal and ammonia growing deathly colored chemical fungi...1960.

So by 1960 a large mob had formed.

I'm looking at phytoplankton. Plankton produces 02.

news today is plankton increases so far with the CO2 rise.

the skin on an apple is the thickness of our atmosphere.

Old November 28th 15, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

In self interest, a common if not universal strategy, there's fluorine folic acid penicillin...universal education...dental floss...