Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

Old August 12th 03, 02:12 PM
Roger Ramjet

Default Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

Sorry, but I was always a big fan of GL but got a bit tired of all his
excuses he made during the latter part of his career when it was obvious his
problems was added kilos.

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
hlink.net...
You are very cruel.

"Roger Ramjet" wrote in message
et...
Too bad he was not allowed to strap a motor to his fat ass during the

latter
part of his career. He may have won a couple more tours.

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...
Check this out:

http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm

Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation
1980 Superlight frame
1981 Elevated seat position
1984 Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet
1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets
1987 Carbon fork
1989 Floating pedals, aero handlebars
1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame
1992 Electronic shifting, down-loadable bike computer

snip

That takes a lot of gall.

Old August 12th 03, 04:01 PM
Dominic Richens

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
"Heinz Getzler" wrote in message

What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar
extensions. This the only one he first pioneered.

The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members
of the 7-Eleven team in the Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 --
where I think one of them used them to win the overall. LeMond was
there, saw them, and decided to use them.

Also Chiappuchi used them in the Giro or Vuelta the same year, before Lemond
used them in the Tdf. Of course Chiappuchi didn't win, so it wasn't
remarkable.

--
Dominic Richens |
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Old August 12th 03, 10:12 PM
Lewis Panama

Kurgan Gringioni wrote in message ...

"CrankBreaker" wrote in message
.78.166...

I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words
Invented or Patented or Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped
outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of Racing innovation"
which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton
before anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid
advancements that were adopted a peloton trying to figure out how to
beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of technology and
techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to
adopt but may have never adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did
it, kudos to him for shaking the tree. My gripe is that he didn't list
ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or decent living
wages as some of his contributions.

Dumbass -

He was not the first to use some of that stuff, like "superlightweight
frame" or "elevated seat position".

He was the most successful early adapter, dumbo.

Old August 12th 03, 10:19 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Lewis Panama" wrote in message

[...]

Merckx used a 12 lb. bike for his hour record.

Lemond's seat position was taught to him by Guimard, or so it says in
Lemond's book.

Old August 14th 03, 02:25 AM
Tom Paterson

From: "Nick Burns" and others:

Subject is tri bars. Did anyone mention Pete Penseyres?

From Sheldon Brown's glossary:

Æro bars originated from an attempt to duplicate the "tuck" of a downhill
skiier. They first appeared in 1986 when Pete Penseyres introduced them in the
Race Across America (RAAM).

Although they were an instant hit with triathletes and time-trialists,
professional racers were slow to accept this innovation. When Greg Lemond rode
Scott æro clip-ons to victory in the decisive final time trial of the 1989 Tour
de France, the ice was broken, and few racers will now ride time-trial stages
without them.

FWIW that's my recollection. P.P. was the "inventor". Lemond and Boone Lennon I
think came along later. Open to correction. --Tom Paterson
Old August 14th 03, 02:31 AM
Nick Burns

"Dominic Richens" wrote in message
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
"Heinz Getzler" wrote in message

What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar
extensions. This the only one he first pioneered.

The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members
of the 7-Eleven team in the Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 --

Correct. IIRC, Dag Otto Lauritzen won the overall and did use them in the
final ITT. I don't recall if that edition had a TTT. There are only a few,
if any of those items cited where Lemond was truly *the first*. He probably
did assist the marketing of quite a bit of that stuff since his endorsement
did go a long way.

Old August 14th 03, 04:07 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Nick Burns" wrote in message

Correct. IIRC, Dag Otto Lauritzen won the overall and did use them in the
final ITT.

But didn't Vanderaerden 'virtually' win it except for a wrong turn during
the TT?

Old August 14th 03, 04:41 AM
Nick Burns

From: "Nick Burns" and others:

Subject is tri bars. Did anyone mention Pete Penseyres?

I should have. I do remember him using them in the 1985 RAM. They were quite
a bit different, more like a shelf for the arms. I am not really sure that
anyone understood the dramatic aero benefits at that point. After all, he
averaged about 15 mph and got soundly beaten by Boyer, who was on his SKIL
Vitus in a normal road configuration.

Old August 14th 03, 06:34 AM
Tom Paterson

From: "Nick Burns"

I am not really sure that
anyone understood the dramatic aero benefits at that point. After all, he

[Pete Penseyres]
averaged about 15 mph and got soundly beaten by Boyer, who was on his SKIL
Vitus in a normal road configuration.

Boyer, pro racer (5th 1980 Worlds, Sallanches). P.P. (so I've been told),
nuclear physicist, plus older. But right, the "comfort" aspect was talked about
to the exclusion of "aero". --Tom Paterson

Old August 14th 03, 07:56 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

From: "Nick Burns" and others:

Subject is tri bars. Did anyone mention Pete Penseyres?

From Sheldon Brown's glossary:

Æro bars originated from an attempt to duplicate the "tuck" of a downhill
skiier. They first appeared in 1986 when Pete Penseyres introduced them in

the
Race Across America (RAAM).

Although they were an instant hit with triathletes and time-trialists,
professional racers were slow to accept this innovation. When Greg Lemond

rode
Scott æro clip-ons to victory in the decisive final time trial of the 1989

Tour
de France, the ice was broken, and few racers will now ride time-trial

stages
without them.

FWIW that's my recollection. P.P. was the "inventor". Lemond and Boone

Lennon I
think came along later. Open to correction. --Tom Paterson

You are correct. Penseyres invented them.

Remarkably, he doesn't seem to be even slightly regretful about not
patenting it.

Trek 5000 or Lemond Zurich? Rolokid General 47 July 21st 04 03:31 PM
Are Lemond frames that different? Mark Sinderson General 11 September 17th 03 09:37 PM
LeMond zeno Racing 5 July 29th 03 11:47 AM
LeMond v. Trek Bob M General 14 July 19th 03 06:42 PM