Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL Report

Old March 5th 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL Report

On Sun, 05 Mar 2017 10:50:56 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/2016-bike-lights-shootout-lumen-measurements

Incidentally, methinks that is a Pro-Lite PLMS-2000 intergrating
sphere in the photo:
http://www.pro-lite.co.uk/File/PLMS_medium_sphere_photometers.php
My guess(tm) is about $3,000 used. I want one.

More bicycle lighting tests and beam patterns:
https://www.bikelightdatabase.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 5th 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 10:50:55 AM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 22:53:35 -0800 (PST), Barry Beams
wrote:

Just a note about the L&M Urban's output being referenced. They
keep ~rated output for the first 30 seconds, then drop off sharply
as the unit heats way up. Most small single LED big bright spot
beam type lights dim with time similarly.

That's the standard procedure. When MTBR tested lights last year:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/2016-bike-lights-shootout-lumen-measurements
"We use the FL-1 standard and measure the Lumen output at the
30 second mark after turning the light on." etc.

The output of the Lezyne does not go down after 30 seconds. I ran it in my office to drain the battery and it stayed at full brightness with no air-flow. It did get very warm but it has a very good thermal solution in what looks like a die-cast aluminum enclosure with fins. The older, single LED lights probably had to monitor temperature and reduce power, but even the thermally conductive plastic, multiple LED lamps, don't have to do that, at least not the ones I've seen.
Old March 5th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

AE6KS

https://www.google.com/#q=audi+2017+...dlight+video&*

illuminate the berm side

knowing where the other side is if an oncoming vehicle is there

plus large factors of vehicle fore aft position relative to oncoming road surface...and oncoming vehicle lights.

the antique headlight laws area is largely for the benefits of antique headlight manufacturers tho Citro's reliability standards are prob suspect visavee American testing procedures in American climactic conditions and and lack of owner-mechanic attention relative to Yurp standards ....

an example is the deer light condition where the road rolls thru forest at 2AM, no approaching vehicles and grazing /commuting deer. The Audi would adjust higher and upward in elevation prob receiving feedback in reflection.

remember the GM 4 was designed in 3 BC
Old March 5th 17, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

analogconsultants

http://www.americanriverbiketrail.com/
Old March 6th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

You would be hard pressed to tell a 10% drop in brightness. So your test means little. However, properly designed LED lighting doesn't heat up and so the brightness doesn't change as it "heats up". And rechargeable batteries don't loss much output until they are nearing exhaustion.
Old March 6th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 10:55:08 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 11:10:47 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2017 7:13 PM, James wrote:
On 05/03/17 04:36, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm astonished. What's the "period" on "periodically"
whacking tree
branches? How badly have you been hurt by these "whacks"?
Where on the
road are you riding when that happens? What do the SUV
drivers and
truck drivers do when they come to these tree branches?
Do you know
cyclists who have been injured by these tree branch
whacks? Is there no
agency that keeps the streets clear of such hazards? Why
would people
not demand that?

While I was living in Brisbane, I used a section of road
where there is a painted on bike lane and young planted
trees that overhang the bike lane at times. They may have
been trimmed, but a year ago I would move just outside the
bike lane to avoid branches.

/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM4L3bVhiqbK8iGQCb9-7xg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

No injuries or other mishaps to report.

While surely not every cyclist on every ride, a tree in the
head is common enough, except in Frank's village. Much more
for offroad cyclists but not unknown in small lanes and
kiddy paths, ex-rail corridors, parks etc.

I don't doubt the "not unknown" in those special circumstances. But "not
unknown" is another way of saying "it's happened at least once." Perhaps on
kiddy paths. Perhaps on badly maintained rail trails. I don't think it's
possible to specify a lower bar for "Danger! Danger!"

Let's remember that the original point (by Scharf) is that a road-riding
cyclist is in danger if he uses a modern StVZO headlamp because he can't
see tree branches low enough to "whack" him in the head.

So far, nobody has produced a single incident describing such an injury. And
I've been extremely interested in bike injury data for probably 20+ years now.
I've never encountered an account of such an injury.

I've heard of people seriously injured by getting their front wheel in an
Amish buggy rut; or by having their studded tire lose traction on an ice dam at
the end of their driveway, after a successful ride home in snow and ice; or by
sliding into a crash due to slimy mud that washed across an MUP; or by running
into a pedestrian who suddenly turned in front of them; or by other weird
mechanisms. But I've never heard of a road cyclist (or actually, even an off-
road cyclist) injured by running his head into a tree branch.

If we can have just a few specific examples, this "hazard" might be believable.
But where are those examples?

- Frank Krygowski

Actually I did get knocked off my bile by a low hanging branch and
broke my pelvis.

However it was not quite what the California Boys are talking about as
it was perfectly visible, it was bright and sunny, about 10:00 in the
morning, and I elected to duck under the branch but, obviously, didn't
duck quite low enough.

And, finally, as it was an ultra light weight aluminum bike with a
carbon fork, 19mm tires, and no lights.

I wonder, had I had lights would I have been uninjured? Or maybe that
carbon fork?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 6th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 1:56:07 AM UTC-5, Barry Beams wrote:
Snipped

Just curious. Do you give a money back guarantee if your light does NOT meet the customers needs? If I buy a CygloLite from Mountain Equipment Co-op and the light does not work as I need or expected I can return that light for a full no questions asked total refund.

Cheers
Old March 6th 17, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/4/2017 7:13 PM, James wrote:
[...]

I'm interested in the details. Care to describe the situation more
thoroughly?

--
- Frank Krygowski

My experience a with Lezyne pump BCDrums Techniques 2 October 19th 13 07:56 PM
Lezyne mini pumps? Ronko Techniques 2 November 2nd 09 01:34 AM
Lezyne Road Drive vs Innovations 2nd Wind Pump C.H. Luu Techniques 1 May 31st 09 04:49 PM
Skyline Drive, VA - ride report (with pics) siafirede Unicycling 6 November 20th 07 04:36 AM
Nippleclamp ride [flight] test report, catastrophic failure main drive psychic gorillas Unicycling 0 March 24th 07 08:27 AM