cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

Old March 7th 17, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

AMuzi wrote:

Rattling high gear sprockets can indicate
a missing spacer. On classic Seven cassettes
there is a thin 1.0mm spacer between high
gear and second highest, LH item he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/csspacr.jpg

On this particular one, I noticed they (the
high gear sprockets) were somewhat rotatable
just fiddling with them, but far from spinning
like a wheel or pulley.

I didn't look for spacers but the casette is
brand new - Sunrace 8 11-32t.

(there are other possible issues, such as 11t
sprocket on a pre-11t body and so on)

Very interesting, the wheel and thus body are
used stuff, I don't know how old. Is it too
late to examine without having to remove the
cassette? Still, could be useful next time...

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:

I didn't look for spacers but the casette is
brand new - Sunrace 8 11-32t.

By the way, this notation, are the rest of the
sprocket sizes deductible from it? The casettes
look all symmetrical to me...

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Like this one

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-in-...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Other wrench for pro mechanics Porches n Beetle 4 owners

the ft pound beam is what you need
Old March 7th 17, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 12:41:56 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 06/03/2017 3:19 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Hello again everyone!

Now I've moved on from the Swedish and
Norwegian standard bikes of the 70s into the
most recent of bike technology, namely the
mountain-bike or "MTB"!

I read on the cassette that you should pull it
40 nm. There is even an arrow pointing the way.
It is the well-known way, but OK.

I know there is a tool for this - torque
wrench, right?

I don't have one, but I do have the everyday
half-inch ratchet, and the special socket with
all the teeth (?) -
of 40 nm, I know only this is a lot and the
reason I know this is every time I remove it, it
is stuck like, very firmly!

When I pull, I hear a crash sound three or
four times. This seems to be normal.

I asked the local guru who did bikes since the
80s. He also claimed he was a master after only
two years. Anyway he suggested it was sand!
But I'm not that stupid I don't make the parts
rudimentary clean before I operate them. So it
is not sand. Besides the sound is much to big
to be sand.

Anyway what do you guys make of all this?

Get a torque wrench and tighten it to 40nm.

I have a couple of torque wrenches, but my cassette took does not have a socket wrench fitting -- so I use a adjustable wrench. Go ahead and hate on me, but I just give the lock ring a good yank. With the serrations, loosening is unlikely. But now I feel bad and will go out and find a tool with a socket wrench fitting.

-- Jay Beattie
Old March 7th 17, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

After cleaning threads, seat. Lubricaton with loctite n the assembly does. not snug down tight try measuring the space between nut and cassette...feeler gauge.

Ask the LBS for that spacer
Old March 7th 17, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 8:39:57 PM UTC-8, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

I advise you not to listen to anyone else on this subject except Al Muzi.

You don't need a torque wrench but it's nice to have one and the adapter to work with your cassette key.

Otherwise tighten firm and not real tight. I think that the "crash" you're talking about is the serrations/semi-ratchet teeth on the inside of the lock ring. These are to keep the lock ring from backing off if it isn't tight enough.

The cassette should NOT rattle. If it does there is an incorrect spacer.

I assume that you know the difference between a freewheel and a freehub.

If you have a vernier caliper you can measure the spacers and let Muzi know and he can straighten things out.

Old March 7th 17, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Usually cassette//hub ...from the LBS.. I have 3-4 ...

you should acclimate .... doahn grind you teeth
Old March 7th 17, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 10:52:04 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I've tightened many a cassette lockring by use of a large adjustable wrench.. I just push on the wrench until the lockring stops clicking. I've NEVER had a cassette lockring come loose even those ones I've put on over a cassette with the last cog having no serrations. I just snug up the lockring on those until it feels tight. All of those cassettes were ridden for many rides of 100 kms or more.

Cheers
Old March 7th 17, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 11:39:57 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -

There are serrations on both the last cog and the lockring. When you tighten the lockring at first you'll hear a number of clicks as those serrations engage each other.

Cheers

Clockwise or counter coterock Racing 7 February 15th 11 04:33 AM
Ride Report and Photos: Mt. Hamilton Loop Clockwise, April 2006 Bill Bushnell Rides 0 May 24th 06 03:38 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 7 October 20th 05 01:39 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 0 October 20th 05 12:45 AM
Priority Arrow Right Of Way Jack Ouzzi UK 37 November 14th 04 11:26 PM