Any train restrictions for London Bikeathon?

Old June 23rd 04, 10:23 AM
Jeremy Collins

Default Any train restrictions for London Bikeathon?

Hi all,

As subject; does anyone know if there are any restrictions
on bikes on trains on the day of the London Bikeathon (18/7)?

We're travelling from Hitchin (Herts) to Kings X, and
National Rail Enquiries don't seem to know one way or
the other.

TIA,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old June 23rd 04, 10:33 AM
JohnB

Jeremy Collins wrote:

Hi all,

As subject; does anyone know if there are any restrictions
on bikes on trains on the day of the London Bikeathon (18/7)?

We're travelling from Hitchin (Herts) to Kings X, and
National Rail Enquiries don't seem to know one way or
the other.

Silly person. You didn't really expect National Rail Enquiries to know
what services are available did you? ;-)

It might be best to contact the individual train companies.
Bike carriage details and contacts are he

http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

Good Luck.

John B
Old June 23rd 04, 11:12 AM
Jeremy Collins

JohnB wrote:

Silly person. You didn't really expect National Rail Enquiries to know
what services are available did you? ;-)

Nah, not really, but the bloke did give me the number
for the train company (WAGN), who were not much help
either. It's a tad frustrating, innit?

We phoned Thameslink three times last week about the
Luton - London Bridge line, and were told each time that
it would be fine to carry bikes on the morning of L2B.

So, 11 of us arrived at Luton Parkway at 7:30 on
Sunday, to be told that no bikes were allowed. We
eventually all got on thanks to some persuasion from
the females in the group ;-)

It might be best to contact the individual train companies.
Bike carriage details and contacts are he

http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

Useful link, thanks.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old June 23rd 04, 05:15 PM
Ben

"Jeremy Collins" wrote in message
We phoned Thameslink three times last week about the
Luton - London Bridge line, and were told each time that
it would be fine to carry bikes on the morning of L2B.

So, 11 of us arrived at Luton Parkway at 7:30 on
Sunday, to be told that no bikes were allowed. We
eventually all got on thanks to some persuasion from
the females in the group ;-)

Good grief. Did whoever tried to stop you give any explanation or details?
I'm wondering if Thameslink decided that the simplest way to ban bicycles
being brought back from Brighton that day was simply to ban all bikes
everywhere on Thameslink all day, or if the train companies got together and
decided not to allow any bikes on trains into London that morning, or... the
mind is boggling.

Ben

Old June 23rd 04, 05:36 PM
Jeremy Collins

Ben wrote:

Good grief. Did whoever tried to stop you give any explanation or details?

Nope.

I'm wondering if Thameslink decided that the simplest way to ban bicycles
being brought back from Brighton that day was simply to ban all bikes
everywhere on Thameslink all day, or if the train companies got together and
decided not to allow any bikes on trains into London that morning, or... the
mind is boggling.

I think you've boggled in the right direction - seems like it
was a blanket ban on the whole network for the day (they told
us it was in effect until 10pm). "Luckily" we didn't get to
London Bridge until 11pm for the return journey, and no-one
bothered us about having bikes on the platform or train.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old June 23rd 04, 06:56 PM
Ben

Ben wrote:

Good grief. Did whoever tried to stop you give any explanation or

details?

Nope.

I'm wondering if Thameslink decided that the simplest way to ban

bicycles
being brought back from Brighton that day was simply to ban all bikes
everywhere on Thameslink all day, or if the train companies got together

and
decided not to allow any bikes on trains into London that morning, or...

the
mind is boggling.

I think you've boggled in the right direction - seems like it
was a blanket ban on the whole network for the day (they told
us it was in effect until 10pm). "Luckily" we didn't get to
London Bridge until 11pm for the return journey, and no-one
bothered us about having bikes on the platform or train.

That is absurd. But thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.

Ben