Balancing wheels

Old February 26th 04, 03:14 AM
andrew

Default Balancing wheels

Hi,

I have an OCR3 road bike which I use to commute to work. I have just
replaced the front tyrefor the first time.
I notice at about 35kph or higher (Thats downhill with the wind for me)
there is a wobble. The bike has just been for a service at the lbs
and rims straightened but wobble still there. Moving the wheel reflector
around to a different position has improved the wobble to an acceptable
level.

Would anyone have any handy hints on wheel balancing as I think this is the
problem

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Old February 26th 04, 03:50 AM
Cipher

Andrew wrote:
Hi,
I have an OCR3 road bike which I use to commute to work. I have just
replaced the front tyrefor the first time. I notice at about 35kph or
higher (Thats downhill with the wind for me) there is a wobble. The bike
has just been for a service at the lbs and rims straightened but wobble
still there. Moving the wheel reflector around to a different position
has improved the wobble to an acceptable level.
Would anyone have any handy hints on wheel balancing as I think this is
the problem
Thanks in advance Andrew

This is a new one on me... I curious if you tried riding with th
reflector removed if the wobble lessened or even went away

-

Old February 26th 04, 04:10 AM
Hitchy

Andrew wrote:
Hi,
I have an OCR3 road bike which I use to commute to work. I have just
replaced the front tyrefor the first time. I notice at about 35kph or
higher (Thats downhill with the wind for me) there is a wobble. The bike
has just been for a service at the lbs and rims straightened but wobble
still there. Moving the wheel reflector around to a different position
has improved the wobble to an acceptable level.
Would anyone have any handy hints on wheel balancing as I think this is
the problem
Thanks in advance Andrew

G'day Andrew

Firstly...take the damn reflector off!......now at least I fee
better!....If that doesn't solve your problem, have a gander at th
headset......make sure everything is ok there. The most likely source o
your issue is wheels, tyres, or headset...check 'em all
see..BTW...those reflectors make great frisbee's

cheers

Hitch

-

Old February 26th 04, 04:13 AM
Terry Collins

andrew wrote:

Would anyone have any handy hints on wheel balancing as I think this is the
problem

As someone suggests, remove the reflector and see what happens.

If it is the reflector
You might need to make sure the reflector is mounted inside the
spokes.
You might need a pair on opposing sides.
You might need to change to a different design.
I prefer the circular reflector that is a complete ring, but I use
two set off-centre as lapping ring (seen from side)

Still there without the reflector?

Flip the bike upside down and spin the wheel
look for wobble and buckles.

I find that once I buckle an aluminium rim, the buckle remains. Steel
rims can usually be straightened a bit more.
Old February 26th 04, 04:40 AM
John Doe

"andrew" andrew wrote in message
. au...
Hi,

I have an OCR3 road bike which I use to commute to work. I have just
replaced the front tyrefor the first time.
I notice at about 35kph or higher (Thats downhill with the wind for me)
there is a wobble. The bike has just been for a service at the lbs
and rims straightened but wobble still there. Moving the wheel reflector
around to a different position has improved the wobble to an acceptable
level.

Would anyone have any handy hints on wheel balancing as I think this is

the
problem

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Is it only since you replaced the tyre? I found that this happened to me
and took it into the LBS I bought the tyre from. They didnt do anything.
Anyway I replaced the tube and the problem went away. There must have been
a kink or something.

Peter

Old February 26th 04, 06:40 AM
Mike

Hitchy wrote:

Firstly...take the damn reflector off!.....

Oh Hitchy, you look so cool with no reflectors, that deep tan and the
cigarette hanging out of your mouth. What a rebel!
Nice to know that if the lung cancer doesnt get you first, there is
always a change of the truck hitting you at night.

but seriously folks, do any cyclists go so far as to balance their wheels?
I'd assume the OP has an untrue rim, or bulging or badly seated tyre.

If you do want to balance it, remove reflector, let wheel rotate
so heaviest part down, then replace reflector at top.

Of course, thats just static balance, for dynamic ... don't be so silly.
Old February 26th 04, 07:11 AM
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:40:21 +0800
Mike wrote:
Hitchy wrote:

Firstly...take the damn reflector off!.....

Oh Hitchy, you look so cool with no reflectors, that deep tan and the
cigarette hanging out of your mouth. What a rebel!
Nice to know that if the lung cancer doesnt get you first, there is
always a change of the truck hitting you at night.

Heh.. if he's close enough for the reflector on the side of a wheel to
make a difference, he's already hit you.

Zebee
Old February 26th 04, 11:10 PM
Hitchy

Originally posted by Mike
Hitchy wrote:

Firstly...take the damn reflector off!....

Oh Hitchy, you look so cool with no reflectors, that deep tan and th
cigarette hanging out of your mouth. What a rebel! Nice to know that i
the lung cancer doesnt get you first, there is always a change of th
truck hitting you at night

G'day

You've obviously missed the point Mike......the poster said that th
'wobble' improved when the reflector was 'moved'......you've obviousl
never tried to 'true' a wheel?. you wouldn't do it with a reflector o
(or maybe YOU would!)......As for smoking...I don't....but I'll take i
up if I can have some of whatever you're on!

cheers

Hitch

-

Old February 27th 04, 12:10 AM
amirm

Andrew wrote:
Hi,
I have an OCR3 road bike which I use to commute to work. I have just
replaced the front tyrefor the first time. I notice at about 35kph or
higher (Thats downhill with the wind for me) there is a wobble. The bike
has just been for a service at the lbs and rims straightened but wobble
still there. Moving the wheel reflector around to a different position
has improved the wobble to an acceptable level.
Would anyone have any handy hints on wheel balancing as I think this is
the problem
Thanks in advance Andrew

Hi you guys

Firstly, lets keep thing cool and casual. ;

IMO, it's alright to use humour as long as there is real help i
replies. Otherwise, it would be just mocking around (which some peopl
are OK with anyway)

As long as the refelectors go, I personally don't use any on my bikes
but I don't want to be liable to anyone else. So I don't recommen
anyone remove them. I appreciate the safety side of the reflectors. LBS
are required by law to provide refelctors with new bikes. If someone i
inclined to remove them, it'd be absolutely wise to use alternative gea
such as reflective material on clothing, active devices such as flashin
lights, etc

As long as the problem with the front wheel goes, the road tyres ar
generally so thin that any inconsistency in manufacturing would no
generate such a big imbalance. As stated by others, the problem is mos
likely to be (if with the wheel) from the installation of tyre. Jus
undo and do it again, and remember if you want to look cool, try t
align the sticker on the tyre with your valve! :

Cheers, Amir

-

Old February 27th 04, 12:25 AM
Jose Rizal

amirm:

I appreciate the safety side of the reflectors. LBSs
are required by law to provide refelctors with new bikes. If someone is
inclined to remove them, it'd be absolutely wise to use alternative gear
such as reflective material on clothing, active devices such as flashing
lights, etc.

Use strips of reflective tape on the rims, in the areas between the
nipples and the brake tracks. Fill up half circumference on one side,
the other half on the other side. Use red for the rear wheel, white or
yellow for the front.

Very funky when you're rolling along!

Aerospoke wheels guy Techniques 2 August 3rd 04 03:20 AM
wheels Tom Reingold Techniques 43 June 11th 04 05:37 AM
Race wheels for larger rider? Boyd Speerschneider Techniques 15 June 1st 04 02:13 PM
Opinions on a good MTB please Brenton Spear Australia 29 November 25th 03 05:46 PM