hit by car this am. Im OK but ny bikes a total loss

Old September 14th 04, 06:48 PM
jim c

Default hit by car this am. Im OK but ny bikes a total loss

Sad to say, hit by elderly woman quick cutting a left hand turn, hit me
head on, I bounced off her hood and windshield and rolled into another
car. All Xrays are normal, some bruising and rash. Will know more in a
couple days. But my Waterford 1200 is a total loss, top tube and down
tube both; both wheels gone, bars bent fork destroyed, stays tweaked,
crank cracked....I'm really bummed. Now its a matter of getting a new one.

1) I am glad that I had my helmet on...it saved me some stitches...or worse

2)I am glad I went up and over instead of under, as her hood was able to
absorb my energy before I hit the ground (she was going *at least* 15
mph, I was going 19).

3) I will miss my bike...I built it myself, very carefully of all the
best ingredients

4) my polar download shows the accident in a fairly dramatic graph.
Almost like real time telemetry of Genesis.

be careful out there
Jim Champoux
Old September 14th 04, 06:52 PM
S o r n i

jim c wrote:
[...]

Holy crap, sure sounds like you're one lucky man! Hope the old bat has
insurance (for both your sakes)...

Bill "heal fully, spend /a little/ wrecklessly " S.

Old September 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:48:40 GMT, jim c wrote:

[...]

Man, it sounds like you beat the odds big time on that. Glad to hear
that the major damage is apparently all in the bike and not you. I
know what you mean about being bummed over the bike. Heal, recover,
and ride on...
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 14th 04, 09:18 PM
Jim Smith

jim c writes:

1) I am glad that I had my helmet on...it saved me some stitches...or worse

This reminds me of a guy I knew who claimed that eating orange peels
prevented cancer. His proof? He ate orange peels and did not have
cancer.

2)I am glad I went up and over instead of under, as her hood was able
to absorb my energy before I hit the ground (she was going *at
least* 15 mph, I was going 19).

Indeed, SUV bumper heights are a bummer, more broken pelvises, fewer
broken femurs.

be careful out there

Thank you, I was quite reckless until now.

Glad you are OK.

Old September 14th 04, 09:37 PM
Jim Smith

Werehatrack writes:

Man, it sounds like you beat the odds big time on that.

What odds? The less than 2% of cyclists injured or killed in
collisions with autos who make it to the "killed" column? Or the
unknown-because-no-records-are-kept percentage of riders who escape
without injury?

Just trying to prevent sloppy thinking on topics which tend to become
policy issues. (and I am by no means pro-car)

Old September 14th 04, 10:26 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Jim Smith" wrote: What odds? The less than 2% of cyclists....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lighten up, Jim. "Beating the odds," in this context, is just a euphemism
for being lucky. Now you're going to tell me there is no such thing as luck
I know that, too, but people can hold a discussion in *qualitative* terms,
can't they?

Old September 14th 04, 11:14 PM
Jim Smith

"Leo Lichtman" writes:

"Jim Smith" wrote: What odds? The less than 2% of cyclists....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lighten up, Jim. "Beating the odds," in this context, is just a euphemism
for being lucky. Now you're going to tell me there is no such thing as luck
I know that, too, but people can hold a discussion in *qualitative* terms,
can't they?

We are talking bicycles man. Nothing light about that.

Old September 14th 04, 11:30 PM
Frank Knox

"Jim Smith" wrote in message
Werehatrack writes:

Man, it sounds like you beat the odds big time on that.

What odds? The less than 2% of cyclists injured or killed in
collisions with autos who make it to the "killed" column? Or the
unknown-because-no-records-are-kept percentage of riders who escape
without injury?

Just trying to prevent sloppy thinking on topics which tend to become
policy issues. (and I am by no means pro-car)

I don't dispute your numbers, but would appreciate it if you will post any
links you have to statistics.
I'd be interested to know how many cyclists are hurt and how many killed in
the U.S. each year in collisions with cars or trucks. It would be most
useful to have this broken down by state.

I have read somewhere that most cyclists hit are children who are violating
traffic laws and therefore at fault. Is this true? Do any figures exist
for adult cyclists who ride for recreation or as a hobby?

Old September 14th 04, 11:34 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:48:40 GMT, jim c wrote:
Almost like real time telemetry of Genesis.

I shouldn't say LOL but this is funny.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 14th 04, 11:36 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:26:59 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Beating the odds," in this context,
is just a euphemism
for being lucky.

I don't understand how having a bike destroyed, bruising and road rash
can be considered lucky.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Calorie Estimates.... LaoFuZhi UK 59 July 26th 04 07:17 PM
Science Proves Mountain Biking Is More Harmful Than Hiking Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 18 July 16th 04 04:28 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Social Issues 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM