Brake caliper problem

Old December 11th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Williams

Default Brake caliper problem

New road bike with Tektro R540 dual pivot calipers. Each caliper has a 2mm
adjustment screw for fine adjustments. The rear caliper adjustment screw
turns easily. But the front caliper is a different story. I have applied
as much force on my little 2mm Allen wrench as I dare (without snapping it
off). I have applied a small amount of liquid lubricant, thinking that it
might seep into the threads.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig

Old December 11th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

back to the seller.

use heat. See Sears for a fine tip propane torch.

find what movement removes all pressure from bolt's engagement seat.

try PC blaster

use heat then cool with dry ice. repeat.

hit hard downward ONCE with punch after adding Blaster for 3 days then heat n turnout.

drill it, remove with easyout

throw unit into can

move to Montana

Old December 12th 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/11/2012 5:46 PM, Williams wrote:
New road bike with Tektro R540 dual pivot calipers. Each
caliper has a 2mm adjustment screw for fine adjustments.
The rear caliper adjustment screw turns easily. But the
front caliper is a different story. I have applied as much
force on my little 2mm Allen wrench as I dare (without
snapping it off). I have applied a small amount of liquid
lubricant, thinking that it might seep into the threads.

Any other suggestions?

Remove it, undo spring from its peg, undo cable anchor and
ensure everything moves easily.

Then lube thread, assemble.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 12th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Williams

Thanks, Andrew. I am referring to the tiny recessed set screw that is used
to adjust the brake travel. It will not turn in either direction.

Craig

Old December 12th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

"AMuzi" wrote in message ...

On 12/11/2012 5:46 PM, Williams wrote:
New road bike with Tektro R540 dual pivot calipers. Each
caliper has a 2mm adjustment screw for fine adjustments.
The rear caliper adjustment screw turns easily. But the
front caliper is a different story. I have applied as much
force on my little 2mm Allen wrench as I dare (without
snapping it off). I have applied a small amount of liquid
lubricant, thinking that it might seep into the threads.

Any other suggestions?

Remove it, undo spring from its peg, undo cable anchor and
ensure everything moves easily.

Then lube thread, assemble.

If you unclip the spring to unload the tension and it still
doesn't move, it's damaged. Return the caliper as Gene suggested

Old December 12th 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 11, 5:46*pm, "Williams" wrote:
New road bike with Tektro R540 dual pivot calipers. *Each caliper has a 2mm
adjustment screw for fine adjustments. *The rear caliper adjustment screw
turns easily. *But the front caliper is a different story. *I have applied
as much force on my little 2mm Allen wrench as I dare (without snapping it
off). *I have applied a small amount of liquid lubricant, thinking that it
might seep into the threads.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig

Apply force till it breaks or moves. If it breaks, try a bolt
extractor or a new caliper. Or you could just center your brake by
moving the brake arms with your hands. Centering screws are a newer
luxury.
Old December 12th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 12/12/2012 11:11 AM, landotter wrote:
On Dec 11, 5:46 pm, "Williams" wrote:
New road bike with Tektro R540 dual pivot calipers. Each caliper has a 2mm
adjustment screw for fine adjustments. The rear caliper adjustment screw
turns easily. But the front caliper is a different story. I have applied
as much force on my little 2mm Allen wrench as I dare (without snapping it
off). I have applied a small amount of liquid lubricant, thinking that it
might seep into the threads.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig

Apply force till it breaks or moves. If it breaks, try a bolt
extractor or a new caliper. Or you could just center your brake by
moving the brake arms with your hands. Centering screws are a newer
luxury.

It's a new bike. Is there some reason that the OP can't bring it back
to the shop? Applying force until it breaks sounds like sketchy advice
for something that is probably under warranty.
Old December 12th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 12, 10:22*am, Duane Hébert wrote:
[...]

Naw, then you just back off a 1/8 turn. Basic mechanics.
Old December 12th 12, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:30:31 PM UTC-5, landotter wrote:
[...]

Ah, how do you back off by a 1/8 turn a bolt that you've just broken?

Cheers
Old December 12th 12, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:50:50 -0800, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Naw, then you just back off a 1/8 turn. Basic mechanics.

Ah, how do you back off by a 1/8 turn a bolt that you've just broken?

Well ...

For a broken normal right hand threaded bolt you would rotate it by 45
degrees in an anti-clockwise direction.

Left hand threaded broken bolts should, of course, be turned 45 degrees
in a clockwise direction.

This will in no way affect the current performance of the previously
broken bolt due to its lack of meaningful attachment to anything of note.

--
davethedave

Caliper brake on 36er? MuniAddict Unicycling 16 July 2nd 07 05:48 PM
Problem with front-mounted disk caliper Ben C Techniques 2 February 13th 07 09:28 PM
Caliper Brake Toe in andy Techniques 1 July 11th 06 07:03 AM
Problem installing disc caliper CEarly Techniques 2 February 24th 05 03:36 AM
Brake Caliper Overhaul Rob Weinstock Techniques 5 November 19th 04 05:12 PM