Cassette modification

Old December 19th 12, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael O'Neal

Default Cassette modification

I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.
Old December 19th 12, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:27:09 AM UTC-5, Michael O'Neal wrote:
I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.

You should be able to get a 34 cassette from Shimano as they are designed for use with 29er bikes. I have one of those on my 700C touring bike.

Cheers
Old December 19th 12, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 18, 9:27 pm, "Michael O'Neal" wrote:
I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.

Here's some old info that ~might help:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...027e7d93331a94

I don't know about SRAM, but my Shimano cassettes have the big
sprockets riveted together on a spider.

"Almost brand new" - ouch!

Might have to just buy another cassette. There are more expensive
lessons.

Or get a smaller front sprocket.
Old December 19th 12, 10:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:27:09 -0800 (PST), "Michael O'Neal"
wrote:

I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.

Aren't the three large sprockets riveted together? I've a couple of
sram cassettes and thought about doing what you are trying but when I
got them apart found I couldn't change only the large sprocket.

If you are able to replace one of the riveted sprockets please post
the procedure as I'd like to do the same.
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old December 19th 12, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:27:09 AM UTC-5, Michael O'Neal wrote:
I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.

OOOOOOOOOOOO

TRY

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...hp?category=40

THERE'S ONE ON MY TREKKING BIKE. sWAPPED THE HI GEAR OUT FOR A 14, ADDED A 34.
Old December 19th 12, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:27:09 AM UTC-5, Michael O'Neal wrote:
I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.

get a steel cog not aluminum..

there's Brandt gift idea...an aluminum 34 tooth cog....
Old December 19th 12, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:27:09 AM UTC-5, Michael O'Neal wrote:
I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.

i DIDN;T SEE ON AT uc RIGHT OFF...

STOCKS GET LOW END OF SEASON.

TRY: LOOSECREWS THIRD HAND....ASK YELLOW JERSEY MADISON WISCONSIN....HARRIS CYCLEREY MASSACHUSETTS...check Sheldon Brown on cogs while there..
Old December 19th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 18, 11:27*pm, "Michael O'Neal" wrote:
I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. *I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. *Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. *Can anyone direct me to a supplier? *Thanks.

I'd harvest one from an old Shimano Megarange cassette. You'll have to
drill out the rivets. A new Deore 11-34 is 35 bux or so.
Old December 19th 12, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:51:19 AM UTC-5, landotter wrote:
On Dec 18, 11:27*pm, "Michael O'Neal" wrote:

I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. *I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. *Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. *Can anyone direct me to a supplier? *Thanks.

I'd harvest one from an old Shimano Megarange cassette. You'll have to

drill out the rivets. A new Deore 11-34 is 35 bux or so.

HOE HOE HOE get the good news abt otters visahd into south Cal ?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_200429_-1___
Old December 19th 12, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/18/2012 11:27 PM, Michael O'Neal wrote:
I would like to change my 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette to 11-34. I have found some sights that sell individual cogs but they never seem to have a 34 tooth. Mine is an almost brand new pg 970. Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks.

SRAM 970 cassette low gears are riveted.

Get a new cassette; if it's a 950 you can swap individual
sprockets later.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Bike Modification Bigmush UK 8 April 1st 08 09:44 PM
Cassette modification question Joel Techniques 22 November 28th 06 12:12 AM
shimano 9 speed cassette modification Joel Techniques 3 July 27th 06 02:19 PM
Seat modification ??? Rickey Unicycling 4 August 15th 05 01:59 AM
Galaxy modification Robin Norton UK 6 January 1st 04 05:01 PM