Avocet Touring WII saddle replacement

Old November 21st 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Avocet Touring WII saddle replacement

On Nov 18, 6:47*pm, Joy Beeson wrote:
I dithered around about replacing my saddle until the Avocet Touring
WII was discontinued, and soon the old saddle will be worn so badly
that a saddle that doesn't quite fit would be more comfortable.

Which currently-available saddle is the least-bad substitute for an
Avocet Touring WII?

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Try an Avenir 100 series. Under 20 bucks.
Old November 22nd 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 11/18/2012 4:47 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I dithered around about replacing my saddle until the Avocet Touring
WII was discontinued, and soon the old saddle will be worn so badly
that a saddle that doesn't quite fit would be more comfortable.

Which currently-available saddle is the least-bad substitute for an
Avocet Touring WII?

My wife used to love her Avocet Touring WII as well. Then, in later
years, not so much. She now loves her Selle Italia "Diva" saddle, and
says it's the most comfortable saddle she's ever ridden.

As always, saddle preference is very personal, but perhaps the above
suggests some sort of relationship between the shapes of the old Avocet
and the Diva.

Mark J.

Old December 20th 12, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I spent a lot of time on the Web, with increasing frustration. Seems
as though everybody can afford to have an artist photograph the
merchandise, so everything looked like a man's racing saddle.

* * *

On my way to the grocery store this morning, I absent-mindedly turned
onto the Greenway, forgetting that there's a stretch of
one-way-the-wrong-way street before it passes the teller machine, and
getting around the obstruction took me past the mountain-bike shop, so
I went in and bought the only women's saddle they had. It's a squishy
saddle, but these days I consider a lap around one of Warsaw's three
lakes a long ride. It's enough thicker that I thought that I might
have to adjust the seat post, but being squishy seems to compensate.

I compared it to the Avocet before buying: it's about the same length
and width and shape. DH, who installed it during my after-lunch nap,
says that it's much easier to get at the bolt that holds it on, so
installing it was easier than getting the Avocet off. When I got up,
I rode it around the block, he lowered the nose half a degree, I rode
another lap, and it seems to be working.

Unlike the plastics that were available the last time I bought a
saddle, it's neither so slick that I fall off nor so grabby that I
have to stand up on the pedals to shift my weight.

I see that we haven't thrown out the card it came on: it says only
"XLC", "All-terrain saddle", and "woman". According to the XLC
website, they don't make any such thing.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
The above message is a Usenet post.
Old December 20th 12, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

an irrational purchase ? squishy ? examine your surfaces for red spots.....
Old December 20th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 19, 10:29 pm, Joy Beeson wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I spent a lot of time on the Web, with increasing frustration. Seems
as though everybody can afford to have an artist photograph the
merchandise, so everything looked like a man's racing saddle.

The internet for all its burgeoning promise is sorely (ha-ha) limited
when it comes to evaluating bicycle seats. But (ha-ha), if you know
exactly what you're looking for, it casts a (world)wiiiiiiiide net.

* * *

[...]

Encouraging.

Unlike the plastics that were available the last time I bought a
saddle, it's neither so slick that I fall off nor so grabby that I
have to stand up on the pedals to shift my weight.

More good.

I see that we haven't thrown out the card it came on: it says only
"XLC", "All-terrain saddle", and "woman". According to the XLC
website, they don't make any such thing.

At least it came from an LBS, and doesn't sound like a terribly
expensive experiment.

I'm now riding on a WTB Pure V Pro, which works very well for me and
didn't cost an arm and a leg (just most of an "arm"). Also, I seem
blessed with a ~high tolerance and adaptability in this dept so far.
Some saddles are not great, others are pretty good, and the last
couple I've used seem very good (for me).

Old December 20th 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

new saddle.....examine buttocks for red spots

after breakin it in, see how far you go before yawl cvannuh go further or dead butt sets in. Maybe
30% of the ol saddle ? who knows ?
Old December 20th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/20/2012 12:29 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

XLC is the house brand of Redline, which has been expanding
their operations and products rapidly. Probably made by Velo.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 20th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:46:48 AM UTC-5, Dan O wrote:

At least it came from an LBS, and doesn't sound like a terribly

expensive experiment.

Finding the right saddle can certainly be a pain, and IME it's worse for a novice with a still-delicate butt. Sadly, most novices probably know relatively few cyclists, and so can't even briefly try out others' saddles to speed up the learning curve - or comfort curve, or whatever.

I know I've got about six old saddles in my junk box. I wonder if most cyclists do? If so, seems a saddle swap might be an useful event at a bike club meeting.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 20th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 20, 11:44 am, wrote:
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:46:48 AM UTC-5, Dan O wrote:

At least it came from an LBS, and doesn't sound like a terribly

expensive experiment.

Finding the right saddle can certainly be a pain, and IME it's worse for a novice with a still-delicate butt. Sadly, most novices probably know relatively few cyclists, and so can't even briefly try out others' saddles to speed up the learning curve - or comfort curve, or whatever.

I know I've got about six old saddles in my junk box. I wonder if most cyclists do? If so, seems a saddle swap might be an useful event at a bike club meeting.

I just gave away two (2) saddles to a kid at the high school whose
bike had a tattered (understatement) and duct taped "thing" mounted on
top of his seatpost. Still got a few in the garage - including the
original Avocet from my '87 Stumpjumper Comp.

Old December 21st 12, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:43:41 PM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Velo makes saddles for everyone and their mother. Which is a good thing. I've had three OEM saddles by them and liked all of them fine enough to not bother swapping them out. The SO still rides my 2nd Velo Tempo S2 and loves it. It was a free take off. Thirty bucks new. My butt rides Surly WTB SST take-offs now, but I can't see paying retail for 'em. $60 for no better quality than Velo. [scratches head]

Avocet 50 replacement keithv Techniques 2 June 14th 08 05:06 PM
WTB: Avocet 40W saddle Andrew Karre Marketplace 0 October 2nd 05 11:44 PM
does anyone carry avocet? Need Avocet 50 replacement [email protected] Techniques 16 July 7th 05 06:30 AM
wtb: avocet o2 saddle Aram Marketplace 1 November 7th 04 06:46 AM
Avocet Touring Tires Don DeMair Techniques 86 August 15th 04 07:29 AM