Fenders/Mud Guards

Old December 29th 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default Fenders/Mud Guards

Over mtns into Tillamook is a triph a esp in rain. Crazy dudes. I pullled off twice: semi over limits by 20-30 mph, rain, mtn road...long creek maybe that's into Mohler ? whew the dairy shed in there are RANCID ! GACK 3M mask.

Tillamook has a strict law: all cow manure must be boiled before shoot from a cannon.

Otherwise itid smell bad.

the road grime is bacterially deadly but having come from caves with a lifespan of 40 the improvement rests on washing grime off your cebum and the cebum post ride...as getting it into hair follicles as acne but no acne age is bad news.

the butt shots come from migrating crap unwashed into open skin cuts, like saddle cuts, and hair follicles.

the staph both breathes air and does not breatn air prefering breathing gas out of your blood n tissues so once in a follicle or cut, staph seals the colony with a roof made from your juices and down hey bore yum yum

many oregon drivers are suicidal.

Old December 29th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 12/28/2012 6:01 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 28, 1:09 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 27, 4:03 pm, "Peter Cole" wrote:

wrote:
Per Sir Ridesalot:
One thing about fenders ... is that it makes it much hardr to fit a bicycle in the trunck
or rear passenger compartment of many of todays cars.
Dunno if it would help with the fit issue, but I attach my rear
fenders to the luggage rack and then cut off anything to the rear
of the attachment point.
Some people don't mind road spray at all. Others want to try and stay dry and spotless.
Rain pants can take care of "dry"...
My preoccupation is with not inhaling that fine mist that comes
off the front wheel - having almost died from the bronchial/lung
infection I got once after kayaking in 40+ mph gusts and inhaling
the spindrift off of a bay down on North Carolina.
Think about what you see on the riding surface when it's dry and
then decide if you would be comfortable inhaling it - deeply.
Around here, it's not so much dog poop - but there is a *lot* of
goose poop and heaven-knows-what-else at the microscopic level.
--
Pete Cresswell
This is a concern of mine when passing by ripe road kill on wet roads. Also, on some back roads we ride, I can smell septic systems during heavy rains.

When I ride anywhere near a big gun sprinkler irrigating with what may
be an "organic" concoction (basically, getting rid of poop by mixing
it with water and spraying into the air), I first try to avoid the
area including downwind, hold my breath as best I can if I may be
exposed to aerosol, flush each water bottle spout from the inside, and
then rinse the outside of each bottle with the other.

And yeah - road spray can be nasty; rain is okay (around here,
anyway).

It amazes me that it is permissible to aerosolize fecal matter. That
has to be a health issue. I rode by one place down in the Valley and
could swear I got misted with pig **** and urine based on the
distinctive, gag-inducing smell.

Yeah, it's a popular combo here among the corn farmers. And yeah, they
spray it from the back of tractor pulled equipment. And yeah, it has to
be a health issue. I can't imagine the guy that drives that thing all day.
Old January 1st 13, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:47:01 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Might as well start a dedicated thread about them.

Fenders like many other things have advantages and disadvantages. Also like many other things some people love tem whilst others detest them with a passion.

Fenders can be nice for keeping road spray off you on an otherwise warm day. I had a bike fender capable but no fenders mounted and rode through along stretch of standing water early one morning. The day was nice but that standing water was frigid.

Other times I used to commute home alomg Rosedale Valley Road to Bayview Avenue then along Bayview Avenue up to River Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Many times when it was raining heavilly Bayview Avenue would be completely flooded from Rosedale Valley Road to part way up the ramp to River Street. The water would be nearly waist high in one area even when sitting on the addle of a 22.5" bike frame. On days and evenings like that I wore a rubberized rain suit. It didn't matter if I had fenders or not as that rainsuit kept all the water off of me anyway.

One thing about fenders and a reason why some people detest them, especially full fenders, is that it makes it much hardr to fit a bicycle in the trunck or rear passenger compartment of many of todays cars.

Some people don't mind road spray at all. Others want to try and stay dry and spotless. I have read reports that claim full fenders keep a lot of crud off a bicycle. Some people find it easier and quicker to spray wash abike that does not have fenders as they don't have to try and was the crud off the underside of the fenders.

Once again we have an item that is a matter of personal preference and there is nothing wrong with using them or not using them.

I really like the full coverage VO SS fenders I use on my utility bike. I really don't like lame plastic fenders that break and don't cover toe spray. That said, full metal fenders are a pain in the ass to mount up. Would be nice if more bikes just came with 'em stock. I have another bike without. The choice of fenders is a good excuse to have more than one bike, of course..

Being able to arrive clean is the nicest thing. My riding gear in the winter consists of a tweed hat on top and Swedish clogs on the feet with the between bits being normal clothing. Also, the drivetrain seems to need far less messing about with.

Schwinn City Bikes with Fenders, Chain Guards, Racks $159. SMS General 7 March 26th 10 09:53 PM
Shin Guards? One on one Unicycling 1 November 20th 08 01:35 AM
Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ? Don Wiss General 33 April 11th 07 08:54 PM
Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ? Don Wiss UK 43 April 11th 07 08:54 PM
Shin guards brownboy13 Unicycling 5 April 4th 06 07:28 AM