Road Tolls 2018

Old December 29th 17, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Road Tolls 2018

Road damage is 4th power of axle loading.
A 1000kg car causes 100 000 times as much damage as a 10kg primary vehicle.
If primary vehicle users pay 1p per mile, moronists must pay £10 per mile.
Sounds fair to me.

Old December 30th 17, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:56:23 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

Road damage is 4th power of axle loading.
A 1000kg car causes 100 000 times as much damage as a 10kg primary
vehicle. If primary vehicle users pay 1p per mile, moronists must pay
£10 per mile. Sounds fair to me.

ITYF it's gross axle weight that matters. I'm not sure how the
calculation varies with pressure at the road surface - me on a bike
with 20mm tyres at 140PSI probably exerts a higher pressure than a small
car. Of course it seems the calculation ignores the existence of
single track vehicles anyway, otherwise they'd be considering wheel
considering pressure along with weight though - a LGP vehicle can do
less damage to delicate heathland than an inconsiderately ridden
mountain bike, and I imagine that similarly applies to road structures.

Old December 30th 17, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

http://www.nvfnorden.org/lisalib/get...spx?itemid=601

Old December 30th 17, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:

Road damage is 4th power of axle loading. A 1000kg car causes 100
000 times as much damage as a 10kg primary vehicle. If primary
vehicle users pay 1p per mile, moronists must pay £10 per mile.
Sounds fair to me.

ITYF it's gross axle weight that matters. I'm not sure how the
calculation varies with pressure at the road surface - me on a bike
with 20mm tyres at 140PSI probably exerts a higher pressure than a
small car. Of course it seems the calculation ignores the existence
of single track vehicles anyway, otherwise they'd be considering
wheel loading rather than axle loading. I'm pretty sure that they
should be considering pressure along with weight though -

It's not a matter of considering bicycles and motor vehicles as objects
delicately placed on the road surface and then left alone - tyre
pressures are utterly insignificant compared to the static load bearing
capacity of road materials. Vehicles are moving along, producing cyclic
effects deep under the surface and it is this that really matters.

From observation, I suggest the road surface (I assume we are talking
about the finishing layer of gravel bound by tarmac or asphalt) usually
only seems to fail when it becomes unstuck or the structure underneath
has failed; it also seems to me that surface erosion is mostly due to
tyre scrub.

a LGP vehicle can do less damage to delicate heathland than an
inconsiderately ridden mountain bike, and I imagine that similarly
applies to road structures.

Depends on whether the damage you are considering is just visual damage,
at the surface, or down amongst the roots. On a muddy track, it is usual
for a motor vehicle to produce deeper/wider ruts than a mountain bike.
On a dry, dusty track, it is usual for a motor vehicle to throw up
bigger clouds of dust than a bike (with any kind of tyre).

Old January 1st 18, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 5:31:44 PM UTC, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 12/29/2017 1:56 PM, Simon Jester wrote:

Road damage is 4th power of axle loading.
A 1000kg car causes 100 000 times as much damage as a 10kg primary vehicle.
If primary vehicle users pay 1p per mile, moronists must pay £10 per mile.
Sounds fair to me.

You sound like an axle to me, limey.

I don't normally reply to your pathetic trolls but I regard 'Limey' as a compliment.
It shows the British Navy were intelligent enough to realise sailors needed vit-C to prevent scurvy.

2018 Giro Davey Crockett[_14_] Racing 0 December 29th 17 04:29 AM
The laws of the road apply to all road users, including cyclists. Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 17 September 20th 12 10:35 PM
Bicycles are not suitable road transport, they are too vulnerable to the slightest road fault. Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 22 September 2nd 12 05:47 AM
Spanish road safety film teaches drivers how to share the road Simon Mason UK 0 January 17th 12 04:22 PM
Instant Review: eggbeaters on a road bike with road shoes TimC Australia 11 September 30th 07 11:31 AM