mounting attachment for panniers which slide on to rack

Old July 19th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bobdobbs

Default mounting attachment for panniers which slide on to rack

Have been touring for years with panniers which mount to rear rack via
slide rail. Recently lost one of the bracket/clamp type mechanisms
holding the rack to the rail-mount attachment. Haven't been able to
find either the rack nor the mounting attachment in bike stores; nor
have I been able to find the parts in hardware stores or Home depot.
It was an old (pre-Bell) Blackburn. Any ideas? - I really like the
panniers and can't attach them to rack otherwise. I'd need either the
parts, the mounting attachment or a rack which would accommodate this.

Old July 19th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:54:20 -0700, bobdobbs wrote:

Have been touring for years with panniers which mount to rear rack via
slide rail. Recently lost one of the bracket/clamp type mechanisms
holding the rack to the rail-mount attachment. Haven't been able to
find either the rack nor the mounting attachment in bike stores; nor
have I been able to find the parts in hardware stores or Home depot.
It was an old (pre-Bell) Blackburn. Any ideas? - I really like the
panniers and can't attach them to rack otherwise. I'd need either the
parts, the mounting attachment or a rack which would accommodate this.

I'm having a hard time picturing what you need from your description. When
you say there's a slide rail mounting system, do you mean that you have a
rack like this?:

http://tinyurl.com/33pgte

If what you're missing are clamps on the panniers themselves, then you may
be able to use replacement parts from another pannier maker, such as these:

http://tinyurl.com/35gvzh

It would be helpful if you could link to a picture of your setup. Also,
have you tried contacting Blackburn?
Old July 20th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bobdobbs

I contacted Blackburn but they were absolutely no help. The mounting
system does look something like the one in the first hyperlink, I'm
going to see if the attaching parts in the second link resemble the
parts in mine. Thanks? Phil

Old July 20th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

bobdobbs wrote:
Have been touring for years with panniers which mount to rear rack via
slide rail. Recently lost one of the bracket/clamp type mechanisms
holding the rack to the rail-mount attachment. Haven't been able to
find either the rack nor the mounting attachment in bike stores; nor
have I been able to find the parts in hardware stores or Home depot.
It was an old (pre-Bell) Blackburn. Any ideas? - I really like the
panniers and can't attach them to rack otherwise. I'd need either the
parts, the mounting attachment or a rack which would accommodate this.

You really need to post a picture of one of the "bracket/clamp type
mechanisms"

Is the part that's missing something on the panniers or on the rack?
Old July 20th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bktourer1

On Jul 19, 12:54 pm, bobdobbs wrote:
Have been touring for years with panniers which mount to rear rack via
slide rail. Recently lost one of the bracket/clamp type mechanisms
holding the rack to the rail-mount attachment. Haven't been able to
find either the rack nor the mounting attachment in bike stores; nor
have I been able to find the parts in hardware stores or Home depot.
It was an old (pre-Bell) Blackburn. Any ideas? - I really like the
panniers and can't attach them to rack otherwise. I'd need either the
parts, the mounting attachment or a rack which would accommodate this.

Check out Arkel. They have replacement rails with adjustable slides.
I replaced the hooks on my rear panniers and they work well. They
even have a
hook that can be locked so they bags can't be ripped off by a thief.

Ed

Old July 20th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

bktourer1 wrote:
On Jul 19, 12:54 pm, bobdobbs wrote:
Have been touring for years with panniers which mount to rear rack via
slide rail. Recently lost one of the bracket/clamp type mechanisms
holding the rack to the rail-mount attachment. Haven't been able to
find either the rack nor the mounting attachment in bike stores; nor
have I been able to find the parts in hardware stores or Home depot.
It was an old (pre-Bell) Blackburn. Any ideas? - I really like the
panniers and can't attach them to rack otherwise. I'd need either the
parts, the mounting attachment or a rack which would accommodate this.

Check out Arkel. They have replacement rails with adjustable slides.
I replaced the hooks on my rear panniers and they work well. They
even have a
hook that can be locked so they bags can't be ripped off by a thief.

"http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/accessories/hookkit.asp?fl=1&site="

I'm not sure I'd want to use the Arkel system on non-Arkel panniers. The
top hooks are fine, but there is nothing that holds the mid or bottom
section of the bag against the rack on non-Arkel bags. On the Arkel
bags, there are three (except on the Bug) loops near the bottom, where
you choose one to pass the shock cord through prior to hooking the hook
near the bottom of the rack.

It the original poster would put up a picture, or describe the problem
more accurately, I think someone could come up with a solution. I often
have to buy or make strange metal pieces and clamps, and it's not too
difficult. McMaster has a lot of strange hardware, and often you can
make something with aluminum flat plate.

Steve
"http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks"
Old July 20th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bktourer1

On Jul 20, 9:59 am, SMS wrote:
bktourer1 wrote:
[...]

There is a shock cord and hook on the arkel which works well in my
rack (jandd expedition).
I also use a wide nylon luggage strap and wrap it around the middle of
the bag and behind the rack to keep the bags from flapping.

Old July 22nd 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

bktourer1 wrote:

There is a shock cord and hook on the arkel which works well in my
rack (jandd expedition).
I also use a wide nylon luggage strap and wrap it around the middle of
the bag and behind the rack to keep the bags from flapping.

Yeah, it's the flapping problem that you have to find a way to solve
with the Arkel system. On the Arkel Bug it's a problem even with the
Arkel mounting system if you need the shock cord anywhere but in the
middle, and sometimes the shock cord hook needs to go at an angle down
the the bottom of the rack.

Rack Pack and Panniers charlie UK 5 June 17th 06 09:44 AM
Mounting rack / Panniers on a dualie. Ken Brodrick Australia 3 July 18th 04 01:41 PM
Rack and panniers. Tracker 1972 UK 21 November 14th 03 01:51 AM
Rack and panniers. Tracker 1972 UK 3 October 21st 03 10:47 PM