How fast will flies fly?

Old November 30th 07, 03:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB[_2_]

Default How fast will flies fly?

The weather is heating up and the flies are out which really annoy the
hell out of me on long climbs. On these long climbs I've had plenty of
time to come up with a theory.

My theory is that (all brontosauruses are thin at one end ...sorry
couldn't resist) flies are only prepared to fly at 13kmh to land on me.
If I'm going 14kmh I'm not worthy of chasing and they leave me alone. Of
course that only applies if there's no wind. Anyone else noticed this?
How about a measurement to identify how stinky you are, eg. so stinky
flies will still follow you at 17kmh

DaveB
Old November 30th 07, 04:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jazmo[_25_]

DaveB Wrote:
The weather is heating up and the flies are out which really annoy the
hell out of me on long climbs. On these long climbs I've had plenty of
time to come up with a theory.

My theory is that (all brontosauruses are thin at one end ...sorry
couldn't resist) flies are only prepared to fly at 13kmh to land on
me.
If I'm going 14kmh I'm not worthy of chasing and they leave me alone.
Of
course that only applies if there's no wind. Anyone else noticed this?
How about a measurement to identify how stinky you are, eg. so stinky
flies will still follow you at 17kmh

DaveB

Riding behind another rider on Beach rode a few weeks back, between him
and me was a fly spoiling my slipstream. We would have been doing 30 -
35 km/h. Was an interesting sight watching a fly hovering between the
both of us.

--
jazmo

Old November 30th 07, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"DaveB" wrote in message
u...
The weather is heating up and the flies are out which really annoy the
hell out of me on long climbs. On these long climbs I've had plenty of
time to come up with a theory.

My theory is that (all brontosauruses are thin at one end ...sorry
couldn't resist) flies are only prepared to fly at 13kmh to land on me. If
I'm going 14kmh I'm not worthy of chasing and they leave me alone. Of
course that only applies if there's no wind. Anyone else noticed this? How
about a measurement to identify how stinky you are, eg. so stinky flies
will still follow you at 17kmh

DaveB

Some interesting stuff here about the aussie bush fly and others.

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html

"Wind speed. Another surprising one: strong winds don't make bush flies less
pesky. They bother you almost as much on a windy day as on a still one.
Winds speeds of 36 km/hr and more were common in one set of experiments, but
it didn't keep the flies grounded -- or off people. But note this: though
bush flies take to the air on a windy day, they get blown downwind. Relative
to the air, they fly pretty slowly (about 8 km/hr, top speed)."

Old November 30th 07, 05:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Boostland wrote:
"DaveB" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Fly Speed (assuming no strong wind from any direction) is as above, 17
k/mh or thereabouts. However, as is well known, they will hang onto your
back whilst moving and then swarm as soon as you slow down or stop.
Short of spraying your shirt and knicks with Aerogard I don't see
there's much you can do about it.
Cheers,
Ray
Old November 30th 07, 06:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-11-30, ray (aka Bruce)
Fly Speed (assuming no strong wind from any direction) is as above, 17
k/mh or thereabouts. However, as is well known, they will hang onto your
back whilst moving and then swarm as soon as you slow down or stop.
Short of spraying your shirt and knicks with Aerogard I don't see
there's much you can do about it.
Cheers,

Eat more kangaroo.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/letters/a...?page=fullpage

As you can see, I write letters to the editor about really important
issues facing the nation, on election day.

--
TimC
I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under
Old November 30th 07, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Halcyon

Fly Speed (assuming no strong wind from any direction) is as above, 17
k/mh or thereabouts. However, as is well known, they will hang onto your
back whilst moving and then swarm as soon as you slow down or stop.
Short of spraying your shirt and knicks with Aerogard I don't see
there's much you can do about it.
Cheers,
Ray

Yes, 17kph seems to be the figure. I recall reading once that at the
CSIRO Baseline Air Testing station at Cape Grim on the very NW tip of
Tassie that they don't have any flies because the winds average over
17kph from the west(there's a lot of ocean to the west)and the flies get
blown away. No doubt someone can confirm this or otherwise.
Halcyon
Old November 30th 07, 10:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
coppershark[_20_]

Halcyon Wrote:

Fly Speed (assuming no strong wind from any direction) is as above,

17
k/mh or thereabouts. However, as is well known, they will hang onto

your
back whilst moving and then swarm as soon as you slow down or stop.
Short of spraying your shirt and knicks with Aerogard I don't see
there's much you can do about it.
Cheers,
Ray

Yes, 17kph seems to be the figure. I recall reading once that at the
CSIRO Baseline Air Testing station at Cape Grim on the very NW tip of
Tassie that they don't have any flies because the winds average over
17kph from the west(there's a lot of ocean to the west)and the flies
get
blown away. No doubt someone can confirm this or otherwise.
Halcyon

I have always found that about 20kph was enough to keep the flies off,
which supports the 17kph figures quoted.

Mike

--
coppershark

Old November 30th 07, 12:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dorfus

DaveB wrote:
The weather is heating up and the flies are out which really annoy the
hell out of me on long climbs. On these long climbs I've had plenty of
time to come up with a theory.

My theory is that (all brontosauruses are thin at one end ...sorry
couldn't resist) flies are only prepared to fly at 13kmh to land on me.
If I'm going 14kmh I'm not worthy of chasing and they leave me alone. Of
course that only applies if there's no wind. Anyone else noticed this?
How about a measurement to identify how stinky you are, eg. so stinky
flies will still follow you at 17kmh

DaveB

For mountain bike riders, you don't get march flies in sheoak groves.

Dorf

Bike thieves, fire-flies, Chinese lanterns, and city flints [email protected] Techniques 1 October 6th 07 07:30 AM
CM 30/6/06: Lizzie flies flag for pedal power Andrew Australia 5 June 29th 06 08:15 AM
As the spunk flies DA74 Racing 0 April 19th 05 03:36 AM
It flies, it *really* flies. Not Responding UK 25 January 10th 05 11:01 AM
Bored of the Flies Mikefule Unicycling 4 September 1st 03 11:17 PM