wide tire slips on narrower wheel

Old April 1st 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

Default wide tire slips on narrower wheel

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:52:58 -0400, Jerry wrote:

I have an ATB with the usual 2" tires. I got hold of some used aluminum wheels
(Araya) that are narrower and put them on.

All is fine except that the tire and tube rotate on the wheel, probably during
braking. So the stem gets pushed over in its stem hole, and eventually will
tear from the tire causing an instant flat.

Is there any workaround for this? Maybe putting some compound on the tire
where it contacts the rim, to increase holding power? Or do I have to go back
to my old wheels?

Also, I cannot now deflate the tire by pressing on the valve. I assume it has
something to do with leaning over so far. Has anybody got a link to a cutaway
view of the stem/valve, so that I can see how it works and maybe fix it? Thanks.

I had this problem once with a new MTB rim and a very old tire. I had given the
inside of the rim a wipe with 409 or some such, but apparently it was still
slick enough. The sidewall and bead area of the tire was pretty badly dried out.
Took out two tubes in 12 miles of riding - a ranger drove me back to my car. It
was shameful.

My answer was to wipe a thin smear of tubular cement along the bead of the tire,
let it dry, remounted and all was well. I'd expect any rubber compatible glue
would work.

The valves on Schrader stems can be replaced. Only a few Presta stems have
replaceable valves.

Ron

Old April 1st 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_185_]

Jerry Wrote:
I have an ATB ...the tire and tube rotate on the wheel, .. the stem
...eventually will tear from the tire

Have a pair of Schwalbe Fast Freds that are buggers for doing that.
Riding higher-than-I'm-used-to pressures "solves" the problem, but I've
been giving serious thought to some sort of glueing operation too.

--
dabac

Old April 1st 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:52:58 -0400, Jerry may have
said:

I have an ATB with the usual 2" tires. I got hold of some used aluminum wheels
(Araya) that are narrower and put them on.

All is fine except that the tire and tube rotate on the wheel, probably during
braking. So the stem gets pushed over in its stem hole, and eventually will
tear from the tire causing an instant flat.

Is there any workaround for this? Maybe putting some compound on the tire
where it contacts the rim, to increase holding power? Or do I have to go back
to my old wheels?

Also, I cannot now deflate the tire by pressing on the valve. I assume it has
something to do with leaning over so far. Has anybody got a link to a cutaway
view of the stem/valve, so that I can see how it works and maybe fix it? Thanks.

Dude: Tire pressure. Use enough, and the tire won't slip unless
you're doing something really wrong when mounting it, like applying a
waxy lube to the bead or the rim.